• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

Wow, I'm surprized your 150s didn't make it through. I shot my hog with a 130gr ballistic tip ( I was deer/coyote hunting at the time he showed up) and it managed to exit. Maybee mine was a fluke.

Your whole pig was a fluke. A fluke that he was there, a fluke that you had your .270wsm instead of the .223, a fluke that the ballistic tip not only knocked him down but killed him fairly quickly, and a fluke that the week before we went and bought pig tags "just in case" (among other things)... Needless to say, I think someone was smiling down on you that day. :D Now if only the pig gods could send a blessing in my direction!!! :blink:

#32 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

Mac thanks for the good report on the 270 hog kill .I shoot a 270 and didn't no how it would perform on Armour hogs like that. nice hog by the way.......

Thanks Shoot-it -Standard load..Winchester...the rancher who owns the land I hunt on has used a .270 for many, many years. Great for distance shots and good for tight cover. Down in Hollister area, early morning, I typically glass for hogs coming off the open ridges back into their beds. If I can take a 200-300yd shot at a trophy boar before it hit's tight cover I'll take it and the .270 works very well for that. After they get into their beds...it's always good to bust them in the brush (they like thick sage with open spots to sun during the day) and have guys able to hit them on the run in quick open spots.

Your whole pig was a fluke. A fluke that he was there, a fluke that you had your .270wsm instead of the .223, a fluke that the ballistic tip not only knocked him down but killed him fairly quickly, and a fluke that the week before we went and bought pig tags "just in case" (among other things)... Needless to say, I think someone was smiling down on you that day. :D Now if only the pig gods could send a blessing in my direction!!! :blink:

haha!...you guys are too much! I hit bone on bone and I think the angle entry had a bit to do with it, because right under the exit area (pierced but not exited) the slug was actually turned around 180 degrees...probably throgh the ball joint of the shoulder it must have bounce around a bit.

#33 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

Your whole pig was a fluke. A fluke that he was there, a fluke that you had your .270wsm instead of the .223, a fluke that........BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH :blink: :D :D :D :lol:

You know me, always be prepared B) The funny part was that I took my Sharps just in case we ran across a hog because I wasn't to sure about shooting one with a 130 ballistic tip and wouldn't you know it, not thirty minuits after I cased the buffalo cannon there's a hog just itchin' to move into my living room.

..probably throgh the ball joint of the shoulder it must have bounce around a bit.

Yeah,that's a mean piece of bone right there and definitley explains why it didn't exit.

#34 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

The funny part was that I took my Sharps just in case we ran across a hog because I wasn't to sure about shooting one with a 130 ballistic tip and wouldn't you know it, not thirty minuits after I cased the buffalo cannon there's a hog just itchin' to move into my living room.

I would have LOVED to seen what that big ol' .45-110 would have done to that pig! :blink: You just keep that gun nice and oiled and ready for an out-of-state elk hunt later this year... :D

#35 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

...... just keep that gun nice and oiled and ready for an out-of-state elk hunt later this year... ;)

How sweet is that gonna be?! I was thinking,......... I'll probably never be able to afford to go on a safari so maybee when I come up to Oregon we could stop at the home depot so I can hire a few guys ;) to carry our rifles and a set of those huge shooting sticks :lol: :( :lol: :lol: :lol: .... It'd be fun to have someone else do the dragging once the critter's on the ground. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users