#1 casey.martin2506

casey.martin2506

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:predator hunting. andpredator hunting

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:28 PM

i am going to tajon ranch on the pig-o-rama hunt and i want to take my 25-06 for the long shots. what grain bullet do you reccomend. please help!!

#2 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Casey,My first thought is maybe the 25.06 isn't enough gun for boar. Most of the guys I've talked to about pigs have used something more in the 30.06--7mm Rem. Mag. range. Pigs are extremely tough animals and they actually have a shield of cartilage that completely drapes down their shoulders. This shield can be 2-3 inches thick on the older pigs. I used a .270 with 140 grain Winchester Fail Safes last yr to take my pig at less than 100 yds. I had a perfect broad side shot on him and absolutely destroyed his heart and one of his lungs. He managed to run directly at me and luckily his line of sight was 6 ft to my right...because he was by me before I could get up off my butt. If I used a 25.06 for Boar I would go with something big for the caliber in the 115-120 grain range, but I'd also make sure I'm using a solid...possibly premium bullet that will penetrate and retain its weight through the animal.Good luck on your hunt,S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#3 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

Well make sure you bring a pistol and a big knife for when you have to go hoof to hand combat. I don't know about the 25-06, but I would follow S&S's advice. Also bring you hiking boots, cause there might be some tracking to be done after the shot. They are tough SOB's Good luck and take pictures

#4 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:24 AM

Any bullet not of the hollow point or ballistic tip style . Plenty of power with the 25-06. I shoot a 25-35 with 117 grain bullets.

#5 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:26 AM

I've killed and seen pigs killed with a .22 mag placed in the right spot behind the ear or between the eyes.The .25-06 is plenty gun if you can make the shot..
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#6 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

I've killed and seen pigs killed with a .22 mag placed in the right spot behind the ear or between the eyes.The .25-06 is plenty gun if you can make the shot..

Good point, but he mentioned long shots and the between the eyes or behind the ear shot is typically well inside of a 100 yds to pull off consistently. I've seen (National Geographic) Elephants killed with a stick, but I definitely would not proclaim that method as the best or most efficient way of downing an elephant. ;) I'm very confident in the 25.06's ability to eventually kill a pig...it just makes me nervous that depending on how much the pig has left you might put yourself in a compromising situation. Another outcome would be possibly not finding the pig as we all know they typically don't leave a blood trail like our thin skinned ungulates. It's not everyday you get the chance to put six rounds of a 22-250 in the neck of an amimal ;) If you have just one shot on a pig at a reasonable distance...I'm sure most hunters would opt for something bigger than a 22 or 25 caliber round. Good points by everyone,S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

You have a great caliber for hogs and deer. If it is a big boar just remember that they can have a big shield over the shoulder area extending back a ways. The 25-06 will not have any problem with this. The hide is really tough so a bullet that stays together is what you want. Core lokt Nosler partition etc..Sore loser and spot and stock all are right on with what they are saying. I train my dogs with a 22mag. shot sideways ,right behind the ear. That is the best place ,but hardly practical without dogs helping . Straight on is the tough spot due to the slope of the nose bridge. Hope this helps and always aproach a big boar from the uphill side !!

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

Soreloser is one of those guys that jumps on them and stabs them with a knife. I've seen the pictures. ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

My old reloading mentor has taken more pigs than any ten other hunters I know and he swears by 100gr. barnes X bullets over a hefty charge of IMR-4831 in the 25-06 and 257 Roberts AI. He says that they penetrate as deep as a 120 lead cored bullet but they shoot alot flatter. I would go with a 120 but thats just me. Believe it or not, his favorite "hog whomper" is an old savage 99 lever gun chambered in the wildcat 6mm X 30-30 and loaded with 85gr. X bullets! ;)
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#10 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:41 PM

Soreloser is one of those guys that jumps on them and stabs them with a knife. I've seen the pictures. ;)

Handcuffs John, Knives and Guns are for girls.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

Handcuffs John, Knives and Guns are for girls.

I apologize Tim. I went back and read the post and saw the pictures and you crazies took them home alive.

Time waits for no one--

#12 casey.martin2506

casey.martin2506

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

i am confident in my shooting skills and can place a deadly shot i am aware of the armor shield and know exactly where the vitals are. i used to run hog dogs in south texas with my cousin and you could just lift up the right leg and stick the knife in in an upward position and thats the end.. instantly. i can make an ear, head or heart shot very easily. and at long ranges too. thanks for the replys. ill post some pics of the pig when i get it. its not until march tho.

#13 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

i am confident in my shooting skills and can place a deadly shot i am aware of the armor shield and know exactly where the vitals are.

I had no doubts...I'm looking forward to the pictures!Go get em',S&S

#14 casey.martin2506

casey.martin2506

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

oh ya and if anything bad happens i will have a .44 mag on the hip

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:45 AM

Shooting hogs being bayed by dogs is different then a 200 yard shot on a hog . I would go with a bigger gun 270 and up for the 300+ class hogs. Since your such a great shot Casey you should go with the 17hmr and shoot it in the eye this way you can travel light....... ;)

#16 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:56 PM

My 25-06 says go for it. get the right angle into the hart and zap him. I know it goes through deer white tail and black tails. I like the 100 grn. But for a big pig Ill use the 120grn fail safe.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#17 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

Its all well and good if you want to shoot or stick a pig. My self I prefer a RPG.Not only does it clean them for you but it also cooks them medium well.

#18 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

you crazies took them home alive.

It's the only way to go John, you can feed them what you want to clean them up a little and eat one whenever you want. The fun starts when you get in the pen with them and try to catch them without dogs in order to castrate them.. Now thats a good time. If you haven't RASTLED a pig with out the help of dogs, you ain't living right.Honestly there isn't anything wrong with killing them however you like, it's just that after catching them, shooting them with guns got really boring and lost it's luster. Now I would do it in a heart beat just for the meat.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#19 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

i am confident in my shooting skills and can place a deadly shot i am aware of the armor shield and know exactly where the vitals are. i used to run hog dogs in south texas with my cousin and you could just lift up the right leg and stick the knife in in an upward position and thats the end.. instantly. i can make an ear, head or heart shot very easily. and at long ranges too. thanks for the replys. ill post some pics of the pig when i get it. its not until march tho.

You must not have too many cousins that like to play with you anymore if you keep lifting their legs and sticking 'em with a knife :lol: :lol: Seriously, Good luck with the hunt and don't forget the pics!

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

How did the hunt go?

#21 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

Here is a 180lb hog getting dropped with a Gamo pellet gun. I think the 25.06 will do it.

#22 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

Over on the Rimfire Central Forum a guy has posted that he killed a pig with an HMR. I remember last year another guy from Texas killed a very large hog with a 17 HMR. I've dropped two with my 223 (they were on the small side). My brother has dropped seven pigs with a 222. I dropped a nice Boar 2 years ago with a 264 Win Mag and 120 grain bullets. Even got one once with 100 grain 243 bullet so it can be done. The 25-06 with anything over 120 grains would probably work fine. If on foot, it is nice to have a backup though such as a 44 mag. I watched a guy spear one on T.V. in texas with his old college javelin that he had kept on the wall. He said he always wanted to take a large game animal with the old track and field weapon from his youth. I've heard of people killing pigs with 22LR and even pellet rifle as described above. Good luck. Shooting the pig is often the easiest part, finding them is a bit more of a challenge sometimes.Jason

#23 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Wow, that video sure makes you look at air rifles in a whole new way. To be honest though I really wanted to see the pig gore that guy for hunting hogs with a pellet gun:lol: ;) :o :o :lol:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

Some of you may know but Lewis & Clark traveled with an airgun.Here is a link to it with an animation of it firing. Oh, and it was a repeater and at .51 caliber a force to be feared.http://www.lewis-cla...?ArticleID=1829

Time waits for no one--

#25 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the link! Who would have thought that they would have an air rifle on the trek!Jason

#26 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

Last pig hunt I went on, I carried my .243. I never got a shot with it. But my friend got a shot on one with a .270, it was a long shot around 75-100 yards in the gut. We had to track it for about an hour and found it laying on some brush. I had a 22mag on my hip, and I was the only one with a sidearm. Needless to say - my buddy talked me into being the one to go up to it. I poked it with my right foot and it found enough energy to lurch up, squeal and attempt to charge me before I let the .22mag off in his head. I was worried it would ricochet off his skull. It didn't.
Sheldon

#27 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

Be advised that Tejon Ranch has just signed an agreement with the enviro's to ban the use of lead bullets for all hunting on the ranch. I hope that you have a Barnes load worked up.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#28 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

darn those enviros!!! don't they know that even a lead bullet into a nice boar shoulder through the armor and bone rarely exist the pig? I shoot a .270win for pig and use a 150 grain standard winchester or remington load. My buddy who guides either uses his .454 pistol or 7mm. The boar I shot today (180lbs) shoulder/lung shot I was able to retreive the slug in the exit shoulder - this was 175yd shot...last week my buddy shot a 200lb boar with his 7mm and same thing...nice sized pigs (boars) through the front 3rd of teh body have a body armor that is tough to penetrate all the way through...gotta hit them right on entry and make sure you take out the lungs...forget an exit!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#29 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

Mac thanks for the good report on the 270 hog kill .I shoot a 270 and didn't no how it would perform on Armour hogs like that. nice hog by the way.......

#30 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

Wow, I'm surprized your 150s didn't make it through. I shot my hog with a 130gr ballistic tip ( I was deer/coyote hunting at the time he showed up) and it managed to exit. Maybee mine was a fluke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users