• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

What is everyone's favorite 22 ammo for shooting critters? I really like the Power Points made by Winchester. They shoot very well out of all my 22 rifles and handguns. Very effective on squirrels.It seems that everybody has abandoned the great little 22 rimfire for the 17 rimfires. Are they that much better than the 22?

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

CCI Velocitors work great for rabbits!Darren

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

I love the Winchester Dynapoints. Use to get them at Wally World. But can't seem to find them lately. Too bad, they were cheap and very accurate.

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:29 AM

I use the cheapo Walmart Federal Hollow Points that come in the carton. Insert reader's laughter here. I've shot a lot of different 22 LR ammo and those seem to be the best, most consistent for the price. I won't touch anything with the name of Wildcat or Thunderbolt even for punching paper. I've shot some of the more premium ammo but have not noticed enough of a difference to justify the cost.Jason

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, the .17 HMR is that much better tan the.22. Even so, I still like to shoot the .22 sometimes. My Ruger 77-22 likes the Federal American Eagle hollow points and the Winchester Super X hollow points. The both shoot to the same POI and are accurate out of my gun. They both do a good job on squirrels.

#6 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hunting of all types, 3D-Archery and Sporting Clays.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:34 PM

I shoot a very basic Remington 504...its favorite ammo is the PMC Sidewinder. S&S

#7 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:41 AM

I use the 22 for plinking, rabbits, and squirrels. I just get whatever is the cheapest at the time.db

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, the .17 HMR is that much better tan the.22. Even so, I still like to shoot the .22 sometimes. My Ruger 77-22 likes the Federal American Eagle hollow points and the Winchester Super X hollow points. The both shoot to the same POI and are accurate out of my gun. They both do a good job on squirrels.

Ditto on the Winny's Super X HP's or Target in standard velocity. Definately the best in my 10/22. Love the meat report from .22's on small game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users