8 replies to this topic

#1 coyotekiller78

coyotekiller78

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

i have been looking into reloading now for some time, but am more lost than ever with all the choices, terms, and bits and pieces. living in so cal the only place i have found is turners that sells this stuff but as helpful as stevie wonders driving corse. so i turn to you for your years of wisdom in this matter. what im looking for is a good place to get parts and info on how to reload along with some instuctions, hands on preferably thats the best way for me to learn. basicly im looking for classes on reloading for dummies. i will be trying to load in riffle .270, .223, 30-06, 7mm and pistol .38, .357, .40, 9mmthanks stryker

#2 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:11 PM

I don't know of any classes.First off, I would buy one of the reloading manuals.I know, sounds boring, but you really should familiarize your self with the steps and terminology.Equipment can be found online: RCBS, Lyman, etc: powder scale or measure, tumbler, dies, shell holders, press, etc etc.somtimes a package deal is best: RCBS Rockchucker comes to mind.I have a single stage press, one round at a time.I think the most important thing is you have to be in the right frame of mind and NO distractions.No kids, cell phones, TV, buddies who want to watch and talk, anything that can distract you.When I told the wife I was going out in the garage and reload, she knew not to bother me....unless the house were on fire !be patientfollow the steps in the bookletscheck everything twicerespect the listed powder chargesand don't be afraid to ask questionsit's you life

#3 coyotekiller78

coyotekiller78

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

thanks for the advice. which manual would be the best for a first timer? i have seen several.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

One of the best ones that I have found is the Hornady manual. It has a large section in front that tells you about how every part of the cartridge works, how bullets fly, etc. Then it breaks down the reloading steps and "How to's". I loan my old ones to friends all the time when they want to learn about rloading.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#5 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

I also think the Hornady manuel is about the most informative one there is. And the RCBS Rock Chucker is a great single stage press. Cabela's sells the RCBS in a package deal that has most of what you will need to get started.

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:44 AM

Hey Coyotekiller, I'm from Alta-Loma. If you're closeby e-mail me. I can help you with your reloading question. My e-mail is in my profile I believed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#7 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

The Sierra book is quite good at explaining a lot of things. Also, the Barnes and Hornady are great as well. Each has it's strong points and you can see variations in different loads. Best website for reloading equipment by far is Midway USA. Read the reviews as a lot of people post about equipment on there. These forums on here are also a great reference!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#8 coyotekiller78

coyotekiller78

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:07 AM

once again you guys have helped ubove and beond, this is truely a great bunch of guys and girls(to be fair) who have help this new comer termensly thanks everyone

#9 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

Are you in or around Orange County? if so I can help :huh: I load from 17 Rem to 45-70 and cast my own bullets and load shotgun Send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users