7 replies to this topic

#1 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:00 PM

Hello,(gunnut, shooter John & Buzard feeder) specifically...Some of you mentioned in one of my other post about "fitting" a shotgun. Is this something that can be done yourself (if you have never done it before) or does it have to be done by a Pro? If the later, where would you go for such a fitting? What is the typical cost? what is involved? Butt pads thickness, cheek rest?thanks,

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

Try a Google search using "fitting a shotgun."

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

Ok, thanks. found this one and had some good info.http://espn.go.com/o...otgun_F&HN.html

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

There you go. You could try attending a larger trap shooting event too. There are usually stock fitters there. ;)The following article will answer some questions you may have about gunfitting:Q: Does a gun need to be fitted to shoot well?A: Consider the first thing that you do on entering a new car. You adjust the seat and mirrors to suit your personal requirements, in particular the height and leg room of theseat so you can easily reach the controls, and ensure good vision of the road, instruments and mirrors. These adjustments are an essential aid to good and safe driving. A secondary consideration is comfort. A well-adjusted seat allows you to maintain concentration when the car needs to be driven for long periods. We have all suffered from a poor driving position and the resulting agony to back or neck it can cause. An off-the-rack shotgun will do the job, but a custom-fitted one becomes a source of confidence and comfort and a joy to own and use.Q: Is it possible to shoot successfully with an ill-fitting gun?A: You can shoot an unfitted gun with a great deal of success; however, this will always be achieved by a compromise in style and technique. You will have to adapt yourself to the gun to achieve proper eye-muzzle relationship. This need to conform to the gun will necessarily create a pause or break in your natural mount or swing that on those split-second timing targets causes a miss, or at minimum, inconsistencyQ: What is a pattern plate? A: The pattern plate?s role in gun fitting is to check the point of impact of the pattern, its pellet distribution and position. This is utilized in gunfitting by firing at the plate from fixed positions. The eye, on average, is three feet from the end of the barrel. If the plate is shot from the 16 -yard marker, the mathematics of three feet into 16 yards equates that 2 inches on the plate is an eighth of an inch on the gun. Thus, if you are a right-hander shooting four inches to the left of the aiming mark then you would require one quarter inch of cast-off to align the gun to the eye. This formula is applied equally at 32 yards with 2 inches representing a sixteenth of an inch on the gun. Used this way, the pattern plate gives accurate feedback to the gunfitter to make the necessary adjustments to achieve a perfect fit.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:55 PM

At Camanchee Hills near Ione they have a Gunfitter/Maker, his name is Dale Tate I don't know how much he charges, but he is very good at his craft. He's a Brit and used to work for Purdy in England. Dale
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#6 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:57 PM

Here is another site with some good info. http://www.caller2.c...ing/shottip.htmDo y'all think that this is something that can be done by oneself? (not necessarily alone, just done by a layperson?) And not as perfectly or as well as a pro, just to work out some of the more drastic kinks if any? I mean, I?m not shooting competition here, just throwing some lead at some yotes?

#7 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:12 PM

Well? I just tried a little experiment after reading a bunch of stuff on shotgun fitting. My 870 seems to fit me pretty dang well from what I understand? I did the finger in front of the receiver trick, the bead was just on top of my finger! I did the bent elbow pull check, right on the money! And I threw it up a bunch of times and I seemed to be looking right down the rib, pretty dern parallel? I.e. didn?t seem to be ?ON or ?OFF? cast. I even tried throwing it up with my eyes closed and then opening them to see how it came up naturally? pretty close. I?ll have to go check my other shotguns now?

#8 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:55 PM

Ken Gennecco gun works in stockton has done the bulk of my work.He does work for the usa skeet team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users