• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

I have heard other people mention there is a 5 rd magazine restriction for hunting with a rifle/pistol. So if this is the case, one could not hunt with a Marlin or Winchester lever gun? Or if you had a Ruger mini-30, a Garand, or a Springfield M1A with pre-ban high cap mags.? Although I would not recommend it, what if one wanted to hunt pigs with a semi-auto Beretta .40 ca. with a 10 round magazine?I have never heard of a mag restriction for pistols or rifles while hunting, and I do not believe there is one. I have searched and searched the DFG website for any information about this issue. All I can find is the mag restrictions for shotguns, and a restriction on machineguns, short bbl rifles and shotguns as defined in the Ca. Penal Code.Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Anybody have any information on this? :lol: --------------------

#2 el_spaniard

el_spaniard

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:-Chicks<br />-Paintball<br />-Shooting<br />-Fishing<br />-Hunting<br />-Law Enforcement<br />-Backpacking<br />-Spearfishing<br />

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

Sorry I didnt answer your question on the other post. I have had trouble finding answers to those questions as well. I have called the DFG and Forest Service and have not gotten any answers. Just the run around. There is a place in the Big Game regulations that says you cannot have more than five shots in the mag...FOR BIG GAME ONLY. For upland birds, as most poeple know, you need a plug in your mag tube. I dont know if you would need some kind of plug or special mag follower that would allow only 5 rounds in a 10 round + gun. I think that you only have to worry about not having more than 5, just in case a warden or park ranger inspects your gun. As for pre-ban mags...I do not know. I dont think you can hunt with guns that have detachable mags or that are considered assualt weapons (registered or otherwise). As for Varmints (also called non-game), i see nothing in the regulations about mag capacity. From what I get after reading it, you could go after squirrels with a Ka-Bar, Louisville Slugger, or pitch fork if you wanted to. I have no clue about handguns. I hope this helps...but dont take what I say as a "for sure", because Im just as confused as you are.

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

I was told when I bought my new rifle that you can only have a clip that holds 10. If you have a clip that holds 20 it doesnt matter if you only have 10 in it, its not legally because the fast you CAN put more than allowed in it. I bought mine at Christmas time..

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:34 PM

This may not apply to hunting, but this is what the California Penal Code says regarding restrictions:California Penal Code , Section 12020. (25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means anyammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following: ( A ) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that itcannot accommodate more than 10 rounds. ( B ) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. ? A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-actionfirearm.

#5 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

Can't hit them with 5-10 rounds? Invest in a scattergun. :lol: db

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Ok, I know me eyes are a failin :angry: but where in the F&G code is the section on a 5 rd restriction for big game hunting with other than shotguns? :lol: I sure can not find it. As for guns with detachable magazines for hunting, there are many rifles, bolts and semi, that are very popular hunting rifles, although they usually have only a 5 rd or less mag capacity.Penal Code section 12285 states where an assault weapon can be possessed and one can be possessed on publicly owned land as long as the agency in charge of the land authorizes it. Same goes for private property.Basically I think it comes down to if you can possess it legally, and it meets F&G requirements, you can hunt with it.

#7 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

This may not apply to hunting, but this is what the California Penal Code says regarding restrictions:California Penal Code , Section 12020. (25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means anyammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following: ( A ) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that itcannot accommodate more than 10 rounds. ( B ) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. ? A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-actionfirearm.

I did not realize the exception for the lever rifles was in the Penal Code. This what I love about this forum...always something to learn from the rest of you. Thanks Rimrock.

Can't hit them with 5-10 rounds? Invest in a scattergun. :angry: db

See, then you are back to the 3 rd. restriction again :lol: For Big Game of course.

#8 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

Can't hit them with 5-10 rounds? Invest in a scattergun. :blink: db

ROFLMAO OH please.... Its not cuz you MISS you need so many, Its cuz we are soooo good at calling we get packs coming in :angry: Realistically though I want a clip because when its freezing cold out and your fingers are numb, its really nice to not have to load the dang rifle after a couple of shots...You just slip the empty clip out and pop another in.. Then when you are out of rounds, you go back to the truck, get your fingers warmed up, reload your clips, then move on to the next spot :blink: See LOGIC ;) I have 3 clips for mine B) Course the 223 doesnt take clips :D so that one has to be reloaded.. But least the bullets are bigger than the 17..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users