9 replies to this topic

#1 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

Does anyone know of any (or even a single) site that has pictures of shotgun patterns from different common weapons, distances, chokes and shot? I'd like to see what the patterns would be through my weapons with different chokes, shot, distances etc. Just thought that maybe if someone had already done it and posted the pics it would save me some time etc... I have pretty common weapons (Rem 870 Magnum, Browning Gold hunter, Mossberg 500) and have searched Google quite a bit but can?t find any sites. If I end up doing it myself (which would be fun anyway) I?ll be sure to post pictures and data of the results. I will try some different Steel for waterfowl and 00, #1 & #4 buck lead for Yotes.

#2 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:59 PM

You really should do the work yourself.It can be a great way to improve your shooting.You would be surprised how important a good fitting(it has to shoot where your looking)gun is.Way more important than how a rifle fits. If you need some different shells to try let us know.I bet you get a great variety from this board.

#3 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:38 AM

Well thanks but maybe I should rephrase my question and clarify? I?m not looking for shooting advice or practice per se? I have been shooting upland, waterfowl & targets for 25+ years, I can shoot the lights out with a shotgun but thanks. I am just looking SPECIFICALLY for any websites that show different patterns with different weapons, chokes, distances, shot etc? I have recently started shooting buck shot at yotes, so I have no pattern reference for 00, 1 & 4 lead buck shot and I'd like to see what they patterns look like. As for the different types of shot, thanks but I have the ones that I want to test.... just 00,1 & 4 buck. I just figured I?d try some steel while I was there too, but That means I?d have to bring the waterfowl weapons too? ;)

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:51 AM

Forkedhorn, I understand what you're asking and I know what gunnut is saying too. But every shotgun, every shotgun shell and every choke shoots their shells differently. What Bryan meant is you need to pattern your gun and chokes with what you're going to be shooting to see the results. That why you see those red dot scopes and such on turkey and deer shotguns. Because you can adjust your aim point for what you're shooting. I shot trap competitively for years and have had more shotguns than you can count. But I had to pattern them all to know where and how they were shooting. I mean it wasn't just a missed clay it was money missed. Bryan is dead on when he talks about fitting the gun to make it shoot where you want it to. Go to a competitive shotgun event and see how many stock fitters there are there. Like I mentioned about the red dot scopes it's the easy way to sight your gun and make it hit what you're aiming at if your gun doesn't shoot its pattern where you need it to go. All shot shells shoot differently depending of load, wad, type and amount of shot and if there is or isn't buffering material in the shot load. Then throw in differences in barrels and chokes and you can see why you need to pattern your own gun. Get yourself some cardboard Silhouette targets and just quickly shoot them at the range think you'll be hunting. It's pretty quick and you gain a wealth of information. I was a bird shooter for years before I took up trap. But I learned more from patterning my gun than I ever did in all of my years hunting.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

Forkedhorn I've been shooting flying targets for almost 44 yrs. I'm no expert but I've got alot of experience. What gunnut & shooterjohn are saying is right on. Do all your shotguns have the same LOP, drop in comb, and cast? After you get a shotgun fitted then you should pattern it. You may be Deadeye Dick with a shotgun at flying stuff, but when you're aiming a shotgun at still targets such as a Turkey or a standing yote it's different. I have to add an extra recoil pad to my duck gun till it gets cold to compensate LOP for my heavy duck coat. Get out of the house and burn up some ammo. Lot's of Butcher paper w/a black marker pen to make a 2" dot for POA, staple gun and an old piece of plywood stood up will work. Dale
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#6 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:02 PM

You guys are killing me here? THANK YOU for all of the wonderful advice on how to shoot, how to fit a gun, different sights for a shotgun, etc? But seriously, I just wanted to get some idea of the different patterns (in general) that were produced by common weapons, i.e. Rem 870, with different chokes, shot & distance? Just as a starting point. I wasn?t looking for info. on ?aiming? my shot or fitting my gun, but thanks, really. If I need any info. or any more info. on that subject, I?ll be sure to post a question here for it.http://californiapre...p?showtopic=292I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a website that had pictures where someone had examples of what their pattern looked like with varying chokes, shot, distances and weapons? Don?t get me wrong and please don?t be offended, those are all great points and good topics for discussion too, this is just getting way more complex, involved and off tangent than intended for my original post.Thanks, :rolleyes:

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:36 PM

Okay, then No. Because it wouldn't hold up in everyones gun. That was simple! :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:52 PM

How much different of a pattern (not accuracy or point of aim, just the pattern) would two identical Remington 870?s Be? Both with full chokes, same BBL length, same round, same distance etc? I know that not every weapon is identical, as evidenced by how different the accuracy is ?out of the box? on two riffles that are same, make, model, caliber etc? But with a shotgun, how different are the patterns going to be really? Not identical but wouldn?t they be close enough to give a general idea of the patterns achieved with different chokes, shot size etc? i.e. A Remington 870, 26? BBL with a Remington Full choke shooting #4 Buck gives 24? ? 26? diameter patterns at 25 yards? (made up numbers for the sake of this discussion, just an example) That?s all I was looking for? Some idea of what a pattern might be expected to look like with an identical weapon, load, choke, distance? Just a starting point as to what I should try etc.Are you saying that is unreasonable and the patterns are way too different for such an expectation to be made? Maybe that is why I can?t find any websites with such info? I will undoubtedly do it myself sometime soon though and will post the results. I will be curious to see how different the patterns are between me & my friends identical Rem. 870?s set up with identical chokes, loads etc?Thanks,

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

Forkedhorn Try several different brands of the same load. They tend to pattern differently. Some of the aftermarket chokes can help some guns.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#10 squirrelduster

squirrelduster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:06 AM

Forkedhorn,I too was a competitive shotgunner and learned a lot when I purchased a new off the shelf shotgun. Your eye is the rear sight on the shotgun and determines the point of impact for the center of the pattern and that is why shooter and buzzard are telling you to go to the pattern paper. I have an 870 that I have shot for years at birds and didn't think I had a problem until I shot it at a piece of paper.You wouldn't go out and buy a new 308 and have it bore sighted then go deer hunting so why would you not take the same time for your shotgun. Every trap and sheet guy has thier pet load for the gun they shoot just like you do for the things you hunt with a rifle. Bottom line is there is a rough similarity in the pattern density of each choke, try http://www.rfgc.org/...ensity_calc.htmbut this will only be a guess. Each gun has a different "full" choke. A gun manufactured in 1950 will shoot much different than one built yesterday. If you are planning on shooting turkeys or something not flying go with the new dot type sight that you can adjust for point of impact.I hope I have been of some help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users