Photo

Making my own Remote E-Caller, Need MP3 Player ?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:23 AM

O.K.:I have desided to make my own Caller:blink: , Fox Pro's are out of my Budget ;) And I like to Tinker :D I'm going to use a Nady 151 or 351 wireless Mic system.My question is:What is a good brand of MP3 Player that won't brake the bank,I don't want to spend more than say $60.00, it dosn't have to have a gazillion bytesof memory as it will only be holding Critter sounds.
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#2 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:47 PM

Hylander, I don't have any experience with many of the MP3 players, but I did notice there are tons of them on sale this week. Alot around 40-50 bucks. If kids can run around with them playing all the time and they last for a while I would imagine that if you were just a little bit careful with it in the field it should do nicely. Let us know how it works. I too like the idea of an ecaller that doesnt break the bank!Scott

#3 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

Well I checked Wally World:For $40.00 they have an RCA with 128meg Mem, plus SD slot for expansion.I'll probably go with that one.

#4 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

Hylander those wireless mics...are they the speakers?? And what kid of range from the MP3 can you get? Im getting more and more intrigued. Scott

#5 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:04 PM

CoolVarmint:The wireless Mic is actually two Parts.The Transmitter which you plug into the MP3 Player,and Receiver which you plug into an Extenal Speaker.The average range for the remote use will be aprox 100-150 ft.Here is a pic of someone elses, this one is installed in a Flashlight case:Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:55 PM

Hylander, that is a very trick set up. About how much do you figure you will have in it with the speaker, mic and MP3?? I think it might be a little easier to sell the wife on this that 400++ for a FoxPro. Especially since she is already tired of my practicing calling on the front porch :rolleyes: Scott

#7 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:05 PM

CoolVarmint:Aproximate Cost:MP3 = 40.00Wireless Mic = $80.00Speaker = $15.00Flashlight = $10.00Sounds downloaded from the Net = $.0Total = $145.00 :rolleyes: For me this seems the way to go, I would love a Fox Pro.But this is much more in my Budget.I have already started down loading sounds from the Net.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

I think it might be a little easier to sell the wife on this that 400++ for a FoxPro. Especially since she is already tired of my practicing calling on the front porch :rolleyes:

But the neighbors and their dogs love you though right? :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,748 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

let me know how it works I'll make one .
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#10 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:52 PM

I was just wondering out loud but would that wireless mic work with the cheap FoxPro. I forgot the number but its $149 one, 8 sound no remote. But then I guess you'll get alot more on the MP3 player. The only advantage might be the FP can download different formats. Also Hylander where did you get that mic setup? I like the idea of building my own just to say I did :rolleyes: . And yes the neighbors love hearing me, although I've yet to hear a shot fired to get rid of me :) , I guess when I hear that I'll know my calling is getting there!Scott

#11 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

Not sure how you would make it work with an FP.You get alot more sounds on an MP3, and you can format your sounds on the computer to what ever format you want. Some MP3's play several formatsHere is one place to get the Mic setup151 VR-LT or 351 VR-LTGet MP3 here

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:12 AM

Hylander, I recently purchased a used Foxpro for $150 shipped. I underbid a bunch of units in the PM classifieds section and finally got a 416B which is the camo 16-sound unit. It doesn't have a remote control, but it does have a Foxpro external speaker with 60 ft of cord. It also came with the PS-G programming adaptor, and I can download any 16 Foxpro sounds for $20(or any other souinds) and program the unit to my taste. Just pointing out that if you look around you can get a used Foxpro for about the same price as a homemade caller.

#13 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:19 AM

Looks like the wireless mic is what's driving up the cost. How feasable would it be to just use wire? The wire setup would not be as pretty, but it would make it simpler to build and definately a lot less inexpensive.

#14 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:38 PM

Without the wireless Mic you would need an Amp and usually an amp is more thana wireless Mic

#15 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

Just noticed on FP website they have tons of refurbed units with full warranty. Several 416 for $150-200. Scott

#16 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

Just noticed on FP website they have tons of refurbed units with full warranty. Several 416 for $150-200

Those are a good dealBut they aren't remote

#17 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

Sounds downloaded from the Net = $.0I have already started down loading sounds from the Net.

Hello,I am also interested in building one rather than buying one. To save $ and to make it custom and I also like to tinker. where have you been able to find sounds online? I tried a search on morpheus, coyote, distress, rabbit etc. but didn't find any. Would like to find some. I have a mini "boom box" CD player with a remote control that I could camo up and be done with it? I'll have to check the range on the remote?thanks,

#18 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:37 AM

Forkedhorn:Here are afew place's, Western Rivers has the best sounds.Western Riversmore soundsFind soundsA Boom Box with a remote should work great

#19 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:21 AM

Hylander - "Without the wireless Mic you would need an Amp and usually an amp is more than a wireless Mic".The mic is idea is better, I never thought about the need for an amp. Thanks!

Hello,I am also interested in building one rather than buying one. To save $ and to make it custom and I also like to tinker. where have you been able to find sounds online? I tried a search on morpheus, coyote, distress, rabbit etc. but didn't find any. Would like to find some. I have a mini "boom box" CD player with a remote control that I could camo up and be done with it? I'll have to check the range on the remote?thanks,

Wow, a mini boom box with remote! I don't think you could any more simpler than that :lol:

#20 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

Don't foget VarmintAl for sounds. He has about 10-12 I think. Scott

#21 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:04 PM

Forkedhorn:Here are afew place's, Western Rivers has the best sounds.Western Riversmore soundsFind soundsA Boom Box with a remote should work great

Great stuff thanks! I dumped about all of them onto my hard drive for later compilation... and some from Varmint Al's too!

#22 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

ForkedHorn, A boom box is a cool idea. How's the sound outside?? Seems like a cheap no brainer option. My kinda option :unsure: Let me know how it sounds Scott

#23 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:40 PM

I wonder how well the remote will work at a distance.Say 100ft. and beyond

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

My broadcast grade wireless mics work at well over a thousand feet so it depends on frequency range and power output.

Time waits for no one--

#25 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:59 PM

I wonder how well the remote will work at a distance.Say 100ft. and beyond

I haven't tried the remote on the boom box yet, but I don't think that I'll get a very far range out of it. Even 20 feet would be better than in my lap though! :unsure: It is an IR remote. I will put brand new batt's in it and see how far I can get it to go line of site. I need to look online for a smaller more compact CD player with an RF remote. The RF might work better? farther? and doesn't have to be line of site.

#26 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

My broadcast grade wireless mics work at well over a thousand feet so it depends on frequency range and power output.

Are there any toys you don't have :unsure: Im getting very jealous, between you and Mr Mister.Scott

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:35 PM

Are there any toys you don't have :) Im getting very jealous, between you and Mr Mister.Scott

Those wireless mics are or were work related. The frequencies are registered to me so another TV station can't use them. Since I don't do much TV work any more I should sell that stuff and buy more hunting junk! :(

Time waits for no one--

#28 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:22 PM

OK, I'm thinking of building a caller myself and tried to download the sounds from Western Rivers. When I try to download them, they don't download as a MP3 or wav file. They download as a HTML file. What am I doing wrong? The calls from ewcalls worked great.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:08 PM

Lynn, I went to Western Rivers to try downloading theirs and didn't have any problem. I downloaded some of their crow calls. Just pick the call you want to download listen to it first if you want. It will only be a short version. Then go to download and right mouse click the download button. Then look up where it says Save Target As... Then left click on that and a prompt box will come up asking if you want to save the file name Crow or whatever mp3 file. Click save and it will download and you're done. Go on to your next one and so on.

Time waits for no one--

#30 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:45 PM

You're right! Hell, I was right clicking everything BUT the Download button. It was clicking the button thinking that was how to download and then trying to right click. Just didn't try to right click the DL button. DUH! Thanks.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users