4 replies to this topic

#1 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:42 PM

Hello all, I've been reloading for probably about 3 years now and have always used an RCBS bullet seating die for my .280 rem. I was recently given a Redding bullet seating die in .280 rem and thought I would try it. When I seated the bullet with the Redding it looked like the neck was actually crimped down onto the bullet whereas with my RCBS it always just looked like the bullet was pressed down into the case. Is one of these styles better than the other one? Will it make a difference in the performance of the load?

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Have not used Redding dies before. But, the RCBS dies can be adjusted to crimp if you need it. Maybe the Redding is the same and it had been adjusted to crimp when the bullet was seated.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

I have many dies of both brands. You only need to crimp if the bullet you are shooting has a cannelure around it. If the bullet doesn't have the cannelure it doesn't want to be crimped and it a neck pressure fit. The crimp comes from turning the die down tighter if necessary.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:01 PM

I didn't know that about the cannelure ... thanks John !!

#5 Bill T

Bill T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Shooting, and Reloading

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

I have given up on the standard crimp that normal loading dies provide in favor of the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It is a much better approach. You cannot buckle a case with it from applying too much crimp because it doesn't put any longditudnal stress on the case. In the pistol calibers it comes with a Carbide sizer ring that assures all your loaded ammo will chamber in any gun. These dies are inexpensive, well made, and very easy to use. Bill T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users