12 replies to this topic

#1 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

Hello all, Hunting has been slow for me lately, the coyote?s gods have not been good to me. So to make myself feel better I bought a new rifle (I have a smile ear to ear).. I just put together a new CA legal AR-15 made by Bushmaster. It has a 20" free floating upper with 1 and 12 twist 3 pound Jewel Trigger.. This baby should group pretty well. My question is: What gain bullet works best in .223 in a 1 and 12 twist barrel? I have a 1 and 12 twist in my 22.250 and I reload 40 grain molly hornady for it and they work awesome. =But being the .223 is a little wimpy I wanted to shoot a 55 grain out of it?? Any feed back would be great.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:15 AM

Well I shoot an AR-15 with a 1 in 12 twist in .223. I find the 40gr V-max shoot exceptional and are more than enough to take down a coyote. Look at it like this, there are much smaller bullets being used to effectively retard the coyote aging process and they do fine.One thing to remember is that faster burning powders work the action of semi autos much better. Some of the slower burning rifle powders that are very good in bolt guns will cause jams in your AR. Other than that grab some bullets, load up and head to the range and see what works out of yours. Plain old Winchester white box ammo should shoot fine out of it if you're in a hurry to try it out. :angry:

#3 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:44 AM

Mr. Shooter John , You have never pointed me in the wrong direction in the past so I'm going for the 40 grn Vmax! My only other question is to Molly or not to Molly. New Barrel, never fired...

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

Ok here's my $.02. I'm not a moly fan. My first and foremost reason for not liking moly is it attracts moisture. It can also be difficult to clean barrels with layers of moly in them. I did try moly bullets originally and then decided not to use them any longer. I molyed my own bullets too just found it wasn't for me after reading some of the horror stories.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

I agree with John and won't shoot anything with Moly on it. I can also attest to the effectiveness of that 40 grain bullet... it's my go to round in my 22-250.

#6 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

Ditto on the .40 Grain v-max.....Works great for me out of my .223

#7 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

I also use the 40 VMAX in my 22-250 and 222 mag. It is very accurate and devasting on squirrels out of my rifles.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

I also use the 40 VMAX in my 22-250 and 222 mag.

You should try it on coyotes. Believe me it will put the smack down on them. ;)

#9 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

I have a Remington 700 VSSF .223 with a 1-12 on it. Anything up to and including 55gr shoot well for me. I love the 40gr, it destroys sage rats, but I also love the 50gr blitzking, sub MOA in my 1-12, and has a little more oomph for the yotes. I will tell you that the 40 gr has a flatter trajectory though, especially out around 300 yards. ShooterJohn is right about them.Of the 3 V-MAX, Nosler, and BlitzKing, I prefer the blitzking....but they all kick ass. I cant wait to try the new sierra Varmint Grenades. Has anyone seen one yet?

#10 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:00 PM

+1 here. The 1:14" should handle everything up to 55 grains with ease. Both of my OLL's (Off List Lowers) have 1:9" twist barreled uppers on them but 90% of my shooting is with 50-55 grain bullets.

#11 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:43 AM

40 grain VMAX fur burners have been ordered :rolleyes: !! Thank you for all your help!

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

I have good result with 55 grain Nosler BT on my 223 Kimber 82 with 12 twist barrel.

#13 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

I've also had great success with 55 grain nbt with my 12 twist rem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users