• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Here's a couple of targets I shot this morning before the rain started... And at a cool 48 degrees!

First target below is with factory Fiochi (sp?), 40 gr v-max. 5 shots at 100 yards into 1/2" group.

Attached File  Colt AR Target 1.jpg   27.39KB   0 downloads

Second target is with factory Black Hills "blue" box of 50 gr v-max at 100 yards into 5/8" group. Both of these groups appear larger (as I am some how magnifing them), but they are not.

Attached File  Colt AR Target 2.jpg   21.2KB   0 downloads

I also had a couple other targets that put 4 shots into 1/2" groups, but blew them with the 5th shot to approx 1" over all. My excuse on these (that I'm stickin to :lol:) is that they were my very first groups and was still having to get used to the AR style of rifle, at least in the beginning.

While these groups are no record setters by any means, and cannot compete with my lovely Remingtons, I walked away extremely happy with this rifle and its accuracy... with "factory" ammo! I like love this AR in other words... until I miss a coyote with it that is. Then you may see it on E-bay! :o

#2 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Very nice shooting Frank .

I did not care for any gun that went " shu shu / boing boing " in the stock but when I wanted to make a 6x45 & .20Tac it was just easier & way cheaper to build than doing it on a 700 action .

Did you buy the gun " whole " or did you build it yourself ?

Andy

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Andy, I bought it whole. It is a Colt with 20" stainless barrel. It is on their website under the "Customer" section, but this is the first one I have ever seen. It is "supposedly" one of their target type rifles. Oh, but I did replace the trigger with a Timney.

This rifle has a 9" twist btw.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

1/2 inches oughta do for Coyotes. Good shootin Frank!

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, Grant, sorta what I was thinking too. And Thanks!!

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

And with that factory load , no real need to reload for it . Unless you have to run lead free .

Love the Timney triggers . i actually found the more I got over 500rds , the smother it got . That happened on all 3 of them . 2 on Ars , 1 in a 700 .

Andy

#7 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I shoot the 50 grain Fiocchis, and they'll easily do 1/4" 5 shot groups. Me on the other hand.... :) Plus, Pop those two pins and 30 seconds later I've got a 204!

Good shootin' there Tex!!!

#8 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Nice shooting Frank! I noticed you crossed out LIKE and put in love. Me think you will remain on the dark side, but I do pray for you lol. I think you could have at least bought a Remington AR lol. I am glad you like it and I am sure you will slay ol wiley with it. Your friend in the light. Ed

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Andy, I did shoot some lead free factory ammo that also shot just as well. The lead free hit dead center of target instead of about an inch high like both the other loads did. The lead free ammo, was Nosler factory with 40 gr Nosler lead free bullet

Thanks Chuck... I have always been a BIG fan of Fiocchi ammo, for both shotgun & rifle, and now it's gonna bug me until I try those 50 grainers. LOL

LOL.. Yeah, Ed, I may be lost for good, but do appreciate the prayers. This darn gun is just plain FUN, and a real pleasure to carry and shoot. Thanks again!

#10 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Mine likes the 40s & 50s equally. The reason I shoot the 50s is that my Dad's rifle likes the 5 s better. Since we buy in bulk (1,000 pack) that's what I go with. Your gun may or may not have a preference, you'll have to see. I was shooting the Hornady "Steel Match", but tried the Fiocchis on a lark. And guess what? That's all I shoot now! $18 for 50, can't beat the price And since I don't reload, it's not only the most economical, it's also the most accurate.

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Yep, Chuck, totally agree... each gun is different & proof is always in the pudding. I too have found Fiocchi shotgun ammo producing excellent patterns years ago, and now rifle groups... and yes, at much lower prices! A real value! In fact I'm going to surf the net right now for more of their ammo. LOL You did get a better price though... I think I paid $21 for box of 50. My life story though. lol

#12 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

That's the same price I pay when I don't buy in bulk. When you buy by the case the price drops to $18 for 50.

I'll have to check out the shotgun stuff. I normally shoot the bulk pack from WallyWorld, whatever brand they have. When I go shoot waterfowl with Pops I don't buy ammo cuz he he buys steel shot by the case. So it's pointless for me to buy steel with how little I shoot of it (about a box a year).

Their pistol ammo is great too! But honestly, I buy whatever's cheapest in 45 ACP as my Kimber devours anything I feed it, and does so more accurately than I can shoot... :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those dudes who doesn't care about what ammo he shoots, cuz I do! But, I've done my homework and spent the range time testing. I know what my guns like. That allows me to know where I can save a couple bux on ammo.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread, I didn't mean to.

#13 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

That's' a keeper for sure.

#14 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

looks like its a shooter Frank!! good deal

#15 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Glad to see your new rifle shooting well.

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Glad to hear you like it, I think :P . But since it seems like you are going to keep it, I guess we know what to get you or Christmas :signlol2iu:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users