• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, turkey hunting, carving turkey calls.
    Juan Galindo- Last Light taxidermy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I just bought a Beeman GrizzelyX2 rs1,and was wondering if any cleaning kit is okay.I just got the scope mounted and sighted. Im pretty impressed with the airgun,which is in .22 cal,will be taking it to one of my clubs ranches.I was just there recently for the last weekend of turkey season and was watching lots of quail running around in the open. Shooting good groups with the premier crossmans .22 cal pellets but was wondering also what are the best hunting pellets for hunting quail to turkey with it?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

JSB's or other domed pellets are by far the most accurate and therefore the best hunting choice.

#3 akong

akong

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

The best pellet is the one that is most accurate in your gun. Every gun is different... some are super picky, others, not so much. Some times it can take a lot of trial and error before finding that "magic" pellet. Good luck.

I agree with John, domed are generally more accurate.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

The best cleaning kits for air rifles are the Otis cleaning kits that use a cable to pull the patches through the barrel.

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Turkeyman, I'm not familiar with that particular model of Beeman. Is that the one with the Gas Piston instead of a spring?

As far as accurate pellets go, I'm with John on this one. I have found that the domed head pellets are the most accurate and penetrate just fine for any hunting situation that I have come across. You will find that with airguns more so than in firearms, that it is a matter of accurately and surgically hitting the light switch with the projectile as opposed to obliterating it by brute force. When I first got into airguns about 10 years ago I went out and bought every type of pellet I could find. 10 years later and more tins of pellets that I can count, I have narrowed down my purchase list to a few brands and types of pellets. (all domed head) I have also found that not all airguns shoot the same pellet accurately. Becuase of this, whenever I get a new airgun I shoot from the list of pellets below to see which pellet shoots best. From that point on that particular pellet is the only one I shoot through that gun.

In my opinion the best pellets currently out there and the ones I shoot through my airguns are:

Any of the JSB Domed pellets.
RWS Superdomes
Crosman Primiers
Beeman Kodiaks in any caliber
Beeman domed match.

I think you will save yourself a bunch of time and money if you start off with these few types of pellets.

#6 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I have been shooting the crossman hollow points and have been doing pretty good with them even with the rifle not broken in all the way. Also will be hunting some private land in the Julian area for some squeeks ,will see how that goes.And the gun is part of the sportmans series rs1. but the name on the box is grizzley,also I thinks its the spring since Im not use any type of co2? Now Im most likely wrong since I dont know crap about airguns or any of the specs lol.

Mackeral,We should link up and hit some WU land I found some quail on. It would be some easy shots with the air rifles,seriously! I saw them in the fields just pecking around.Thats what made me run out and get a .22cal pellet gun.

#7 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Never...repeat...never use Mr. Beaman's cylinder lub. He makes that to up his service factory $$$ and the oil in the air chamber is a no-no from my friend at Mac-1 Air.
I know...cuz I did it and had to spend the money to fix my FWB air rifle.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Mackeral,We should link up and hit some WU land I found some quail on. It would be some easy shots with the air rifles,seriously! I saw them in the fields just pecking around.Thats what made me run out and get a .22cal pellet gun.

There's no birds this year, haven't you heard :smiley-outta-here:

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Turkeyman85, welcome to airgunning! :)

As far as pellets go, like others have mentioned...domed work best. For that particular air rifle, I wouldn't go super heavy on the weight of the pellets, but also wouldn't go light. Light pellets typically tumble through the air and and wildly inaccurate. The JSB 14.3 grain or 15.9 grain pellets should be fine in that air rifle, but I wouldn't go up to the 18.1 grain pellets for that particular air rifle. But that is just my opinion...:)

For cleaning the barrel of your air rifle do not use any oils in the chamber or barrel. You WILL screw up your gun and it will end up being a large paper weight.

Also, don't use metal/bronze bore brushes in your airgun barrel as it can damage the rifling. I use only nylon brushes in all of my airguns. If you purchase a bore snake, make sure to remove the bronze brush from the snake before using it in your barrel. Most times using a patch and a very small amount of Hoppes and then running clean patches through until they come out pretty clean will work just fine.

If you have a chronograph I would chrony your air rifle once you find the most accurate pellet for it. That way you will know how fast it is at the muzzle and can then use Chairgun Pro (downloadable to your smartphone or computer for free) and calculate the trajectory of your pellets for accurate shooting. If you are ever in my area (about 45 minutes from Julian) I would be willing to meet up with you and we could use my chrony and get you set up with a yardage chart for your gun and pellet of choice. Once you know the FPS (feet per second) of your pellet of choice it makes knowing your point of impact at different yardages a piece of cake with Chairgun Pro. :)

Oh, and your Beeman is a spring piston break-barrel air rifle. Treat is good and it will last you quite a while. Have fun with it and let me know if you ever want to come down my way and do some airgun hunting. I'd even be willing to let you try out one of my PCP airguns, although after putting one of those in your hands you'd probably end up with one of those too. :rofl2:
  • BeastSlayer likes this

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Being a springer airgun don't leave the gun chocked for extended periods of time. It will weaken the spring and your power will drop.

#11 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors...

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Ray,
How come I did not get this kind of offer from you? (LOL!).
Turkeyman is nearer my place and our common neighbor Bass Pro Shop (my personal Disneyland).
Turkeyman -- I have good results with Crosman Premier Hollow Point at 14.3 grains on my own Benji Disco PCP.
Ray (aka Air Rifle Hunter) is right. Once you tried a PCP, you might want one too. Yeah, I had a Gamo spring in 177, C02 (several in 22 cal), pump 177.
The Disco is a keeper and keeping very tight group at 30 yards using Crosman Premier 14.3 grains. For some reasons, it's not handling heavier pellets as well and I almost asked Air Rifle Hunter to send me some samples of his with my trigger assy.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

BeastSlayer surprisingly hollow point pellets don't function like a hollow point fired from a firearm. They don't have the speed to expand and cause any more damage or wound channel. The reason we suggest the domed pellets is their superior accuracy. When you are shooting at such a small target it is more about accuracy and hitting the tiny kill spots than trying causing more impact damage on the game. You'll find that out the more you shoot and try different pellets. Also the more game you shoot at the more you will agree it's all about the pellets accuracy.

#13 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

John,
I agree. I also think that "hollow point" for a pellet is pure marketing.
Unfortunately, that's the only one available for me. And the heavier one are not performing as well (maybe, because I only had few samples).
I'll keep on trying more pellets anyways. I'm stll on my learning curve on my Disco PCP and found my skills on CO2 don't quite translate.
Right now, I'm seeing no drop off between 2,000 to 1,200 psi. I pump it up again to 2,000 as soon as I hit this lower end. Next is to try the same on longer distance and heavier pellets. The reviews I found so far is that this seems to be the optimal --- and also optimum power at 4 shots at 1,600.
Interestingly, I did not quite master the spring rifle. I had such an un-ease that I barely pick it up to shoot -- or get comfortable shooting it. I'm glad though that Turkeyman is happy with it.

#14 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Bisley,As I said before,I was turkey hunting on some Wu land last weekend and all I saw was quail. Every freaking gate and open field had quail. It was truley wild since they looked like tiny turkeys just hanging out in the open. Havent seen that since last year when I hunted my now "special intrest group" closure! (GOD THAT STILL PISSES ME OFF). Any way,there was lots of coveys and they were not one or two birds.All I can say is that you have to be lucky I guess and be willing to travel.I was out of coalinga that weekend and every thing looks great up there,but of course it is private land and its limited use private land.Them dang quail were acting like one has ever shot at them their whole lives.

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm 99% sure that Bisley was being facetious (pulling your leg) when he said there are no birds. :) As he's been saying in many other threads, the birds are out there...you just have to keep looking. :good:
  • BeastSlayer likes this

#16 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

oh i know,i think when he talks about someone finding fresh sign at red mountain hes talking about me. I think atleast. the thing is,is that you pretty much have to know of places and/or find areas with evertthing being right for the birds. and once that happens you'll know you have found feathered glod.My old spot is like that of bisleys where every where else is hit hard by the elements making bird populatons decline,its uneffected in the area I use to know. If you look back in the upland game sections you'll see a post I made where I cloudnt understand why a limit of quail was so hard to come by. I also get some stern words form bisely,and frank i.e. and a few other members if I recall.But now that my spot has been closed I understand how much it takes to find good spots that will hold good numbers of quail year after year. My old spot could've been on the hunting channels that how good it was.But really all it takes is looking in the off beat paths to find the honey holes.

#17 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Turkeyman,
That's why there is an advantage on being a multiple quarry hunter.
When hunting deer or hogs, I take mental notes of other games available in the area.
It also extends my hunting seasons.
I've actually started on birds when I was wee bit small boy. The only reason I've stopped is that CA regulations limited the take to shotguns. And my religion (joke), and I don't mean to offend the shotgunners, prohibits me from blasting anything on the groud or in the sky.
Now, I would have to find quails that's not semi-tame growing up at somebody's backyard so that shooting it will be challenging. And yes, a walking quail (have you seen them zig-zag while walking?) is sure fair chase.

#18 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I started with quail and yes I have seen them zig zag through the brush. I use to shoot at them with my red ryder when I was a lil kid camping but never scored. And I guess you can call me a shotgunner cause thats my "bread n' butter". I love hunting birds with my shotgun. I have been looking at the pellet world since about 7 years ago when I found out that you could hunt turkey with them. BUt watching them quail just stand there put me over the edge and decided on buying one a few nights ago.And for the record the quail I saw were on my hunting club and are wild birds not backyard pets,saw them while driving the hwy next to the ranch. When the boots hit the ground they would run away.They didnt act like pressured birds tho.

#19 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'm happy for you that you already have plans.  We are a both lucky that our neighboring cities are less than an hour drive to desert areas north, south and east of us which would have rabbits, chukar, quail and some pheasants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users