• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Anyone use a AWD or 4WD van for their hunt vehicle?
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

Aren't most 4WD vans aftermarket conversions?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

the 2 top conversion companies are Quigley & Sportsmobile . . . .

both quality compaines . . . . .

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

If I could afford one, I would have one. They are friggen badazz. Would be good with the dogs too.
I do like my Excrusion though.
Hic Ego Statio

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about shoes. I'm so dissapointed.

#6 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Sorry Jason. We can start another thread on shoes. :D

I've seen the Sportsmobiles and their site. $17K for the conversion on top of a mid $30k's van. GMC makes a 1500 AWD van that the AWD is a $3500 option. So, a fully loaded AWD GMC is high $30k's but discounts give about $5k. I don't think I'm ready to spring for a Quigley or Sportsmobile.

I'm just not sure I want one yet. I'm still wondering if AWD will do what I need. It's like putting my truck in "AUTO" with no 4Hi or 4 Lo or 2Hi for that matter. It seems to be the same driveline as the Denali trucks/suv but with only a 5.3L engine.

I think I'm going to find a dealer with a 2 wd van and drive it and kick tires to see if I like the idea of a van. Might be too much estrogen for me.

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

I had a 2wd Chevy van in High School. Worked well for camping and going dirtbike riding. Always wished it was 4wd though.
The Van may have had something to do with my nickname....
Hic Ego Statio

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

n
The Van may have had something to do with my nickname....

You probably should have washed it then

#9 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

I think he was implying it got above average service.

#10 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

there is a place in UT called UJOINT offroad , they sell a did it yourself kit .
the best mail order kit on the market .

also i wouldn't go with a new van , mid 90's ford with a 7.3L 3/4 ton .

just my :two-cents:

#11 86mcss

86mcss

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:archery, precision target shooting, hunting, fishing...everything outdoors

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

A local hunter has a 4x4 ford diesel van that is lifted. pretty cool hunting rig if you ask me. he has it all decked out and was told it gets 18mpg.

#12 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

My buddies and I have hunted in one of the toyota 4wd vans and they are great. It handles better than all of our trucks and there is space for everything. The only problem is all the other hunters flag us down to have a look. There is also a removable sun/moon roof on his so you can stick your whole body out of the top which is handy for all kinds of things (hanging food, climbing trees, elevated viewing, etc). We all beg him to bring it everytime we go hunting. Three guys on a bench seat in a little toyota or 4 dudes in a jeep is a lot less comfy than the van.

If I find myself an affordable toyota 4wd van I am going to scoop it up. Rumor has it you can switch out the engines for a propane forklift motor - how cool is that?

Also, the van gets comparable gas mileage to the toyota 4x4 with a 22re. The major downfall is the fact that the engine is hard to access.
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#13 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

I didn't know they still made the 22re. That was a good engine
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#14 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, Horses and Baseball

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

My Dad has a 96 Astro van with the AWD option. too bad I never got to try it out. he was told that he would save more gas if it switch it to 2wd and he did :signs1111cr: ....

I have allways wonder about a van. when I was growing up he(my dad) owned a 80 dodge van that he took everywhere can't remember if it was AWD or not.

#15 Deltadude

Deltadude

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:I love to fish and hunt whenever I don't have to work.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Vanagon Syncro 4x4!  that sucker rocks!  You can shoot from the pop top too!

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

You can shoot from the pop top too!

Not in California you can't.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#17 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Not in California you can't.

That's a fact.  An ol friend and his old brother were up in the Sierras above Visalia about 20 yrs ago, hunting deer with lever guns...mainly stumbling around the forest.  They had parked their jeep off the side of the forest road.  When they returned to the jeep, my friend set the butt of his rifle on the ground with the muzzle against the tire. A F&G truck pulled up with two officers.  One checked the rifle and it was loaded.  He wrote up my friend for a loaded weapon in a vehicle.  My friend went to court and lost (I couldn't believe it).

#18 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

That's a fact. An ol friend and his old brother were up in the Sierras above Visalia about 20 yrs ago, hunting deer with lever guns...mainly stumbling around the forest. They had parked their jeep off the side of the forest road. When they returned to the jeep, my friend set the butt of his rifle on the ground with the muzzle against the tire. A F&G truck pulled up with two officers. One checked the rifle and it was loaded. He wrote up my friend for a loaded weapon in a vehicle. My friend went to court and lost (I couldn't believe it).

If your gun is touching the vehicle anywhere,

and it is loaded, they will site you.

They are more interested in busting anyone for anything,

rather than being helpful.

Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#19 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I use to use a Suburban 4X4, had a 1978 with a big block in it that would pass or tow anything on the road except a gas station. Then I got a 95 Suburban that was a little better on fuel but had the panel doors instead of the tailgate. My old Lab couldn't resist skunks and those panel doors don't let airflow like the power rear window. Went down the next day and bought a 97 4 door powerstroke 4X4 pickup  to eliminate future skunk encounters causing me great discomfort inside the vehicle. Never will I have a hunting rig that doesn't have a separate spot for the dogs. 

Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#20 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Bzzrd... I loved My "Burban" 4X4 limited slip, 454, It was great! But as you said that 8MPG and at todays prices would be $160 per fill up! But I sure loved driving it!

“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#21 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

:signlol2iu:  reminds me of a friend that flew his Piper Camanche 260 to S. Dakota for a pheasant hunt with us.  He had a new GSP that got into a skunk.  Even though they washed the dog in all kinds of stuff, the dog stunk.  He said when he flew home, the dog would fart a terrible skunk smell.  :signs165xk:

... Went down the next day and bought a 97 4 door powerstroke 4X4 pickup  to eliminate future skunk encounters causing me great discomfort inside the vehicle. ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users