• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

curious what folks due when they are loading for their handguns. The load manuals give a minimum and max. we all start low and work up. when do you quit? I would guess that you wont see the pressure issues with a handgun case that you see on a rifle. if you did it might be too late.My loads are middle of the road, with an" Average" of min /max from several books. example speers start loads are often almost max in hornadys book. Point being, my middle of the road loads feel much lighter than factory fowder, as recoil ,chrono and brass ejection show. Is there warning signs loading for handgun ouside of "feel" compared to factory? Thanks. EHD

#2 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Because I do very little hunting with my handguns most of my loads are just above minimum and middle of the road loads, although I do load my 357 hot once in awhile. My carry gun I use factory defense ammo while carrying and middle of the road reloads for practice.

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Why beat yourself up ? Or " batter " your guns .

I get less recoil out of my low end loads in 44 spc & 45 acp . Allowed for fast follow up shots as I was shooting against the timer .

I just found a lighter load for my 41mag , which I almost never shoot due to recoil & my bad wrists . But hopefully the load will work out to about 800 FPS instead of 1300FPS & allow me more fun time with the 41 mag .

Check out some of the guys that shoot competitively . They reduce their loads , put in lowered poundage recoil spring & lighten up there guns . But when they shoot , almost no barrel rise . But that takes tuning .

Andy

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

One thing to remember is that with a revolver, excessive loads (really high or over-pressure) will also screw up your timing, so I've heard :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
And also remember that the factory uses some powders that they do not offer to the public to get the speeds with less pressure than we can obtain ourselves.
Just a few thoughts...................

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

i sure can shoot the middle /light stuff better than the factory loading.If you cant hit where your aiming its nothing but allot of noise.

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hunting loads are max for me.
I use to shoot the same ones for practice. Not anymore.
The body does not like the max loads anymore. So I use mild for pratice but still practice and sight in with the max loads enough to be able to hunt with them. Getting old is not for sissys.

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Amen to that Divernhunter .

Zero for hunting loads but for plinking , I likes the lighter loads .

Just found one for my 41 mag that runs an avg of 740FPS . Now I'll have to take it out more often .

Andy

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

I guess Im different. I shoot My 44 Mag normally at the high end of the load manual. It is however a heavy revolver. Its a Super redhawk, and it is really rugged. I like seeing the Flames shoot out of the barrel when I have a stout load of H110. lol Thats just Me however. Now back when I had a 44 Mag barrel for My contender, I didnt like shooting it to often. With the light weight of the pistol, it wasnt much fun. Too much recoil and it even started peeling the skin off of the top of My hand. In a heavy revolver I find that stout loads are fine, JMO

#9 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

I use to shoot all hot loads. But the RA and a torn bicep has put that to an end. I have a hard time drawing my bow, and sometimes cannot pull back my bow even. I am getting the papers to get a crossbow permit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users