rws34hunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and cooking

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

My name is Sam, and I am new to the CPC forum and live in Los Angeles. I started hunting doves and rabbits when I was about 16 years old; about 4 years ago, I got back into hunting, mainly doves and waterfowl, from which I am addicted.

Anyway I recently ordered an air rifle and am interested in hunting rabbits and squirrels with it. I plan on scouting areas in the Castaic Lake area. I looked at the DFG maps, and this area falls in the D-11 zone (condor area). I am wondering if I need to use only non-lead pellets in this area??? I also have read everything on the DFG website and found conflicting regulations.

If anyone knows would you please comment? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Best,
Sam

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Pellet rifles or airguns do not need to use non lead pellets in California. They are not covered under the non lead condor zone regulations.

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Welcome to the forum Sam.
Tom

#4 rws34hunter

rws34hunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Cool thank you, ShooterJohn and Tom!

#5 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Like John said, Air Rifles are not included in the ban. Even if you were using a Firearm/Rifle/Shotgun, you are allowed to use lead for Upland Birds and Small Game, so you would be good to go for that as well.

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Welcome to the forum Sam and it looks like the guys have covered it pretty good for you already. Happy hunting! :good:

#7 rws34hunter

rws34hunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thank you DirtyDave for your feedback and Air Rifle Hunter for welcoming me! I just found this on the DFG's website. (sorry i haven't learned to do attachments yet and just copied and pasted it from a document found on their site). That's why I joined this forum, since you guys are very helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks again! Happy shooting and hunting.

What are the regulations and options for hunting with .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearms?
Rimfire firearms are not legal in California for hunting big game or for depredation killing of big game animals (these are primarily deer and wild pig in condor range).

Rimfire firearms are legal for nongame animals (coyotes and ground squirrels primarily) and for sport hunting of small game mammals [hares (jackrabbits), cottontail, and tree squirrel]. However, for nongame animals the Commission has prohibited use of lead projectiles in .22 rimfire or smaller firearms as part of this regulation change in condor range.
The Commission has not addressed the issue of hunting small game mammals because that section of the regulations was not “opened” for potential change. Therefore, hunters can legally hunt jackrabbit, cottontail, and tree squirrel using lead projectiles, but not ground squirrels in the same area. Part of the reasoning for this is that unlike nongame animals that are hunted and usually left in the field, game species must be retrieved and not wasted.

The Department and Commission are of the understanding that non-lead projectiles for rimfire are not readily available or manufactured at this time and that the only non-lead rimfire is in .22 caliber magnum, and not for the very popular .22 short, long, or long rifle.

Are pellet rifles included in the non-lead ammunition ban?
Pellet rifles are not considered a firearm. Consequently, neither pellet rifles nor their projectiles would be included in the ban.

#8 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors...

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Sam,

Welcome to the forum.

Reminder though. There is no season for Tree Squirrels south of Kern County.

Ground squirrels are ok though.

#9 rws34hunter

rws34hunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the reminder, BeastSlayer. I will make a mental note of that when I go out looking for game.

#10 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Reading the DFG handbook is a good way to start. I have one in my ammo box that I picked up every year out of Wal Mart sports section counter.

Also, note that air rifle is classified as "firearm" in California. You will also notice that Los Angeles has a special regulations (sometimes just one sentence) on what's legal in that county.

#11 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Also, note that air rifle is classified as "firearm" in California. You will also notice that Los Angeles has a special regulations (sometimes just one sentence) on what's legal in that county.

Actually, from all of the research I've done in the last couple of years and into this year's hunting season an airgun is not considered a firearm in California (though it may be considered a firearm in other cities, counties or states). You are correct that Los Angeles has special regulations for the use of airguns as listed in the DF&G regulations. It is best to check with your local L.E.O. office and look into city ordinances for further clarification on their use without your local.

In the DF&G regulations concerning small game, air rifles and firearms are listed seperately. A firearm uses and explosive charge to expel the projectile from the barrel while an air rifle uses compressed air (either through a reservior, co2 or spring/nitro piston), thus the "firearm" designation for a powder burner type gun (which I'm sure the majority of us already are aware of). Certain cities and, or counties may lump the use of airguns into the same catagory as firearms, but they usually specify "airguns" separately to clarify the legality or illegality of their use.

I'll do some more research tonight (after I take care of sorting through some pellets and creating some sampler packs :good: ) and try to find out what I can. :)
  • BeastSlayer likes this

#12 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

So very true ARH.

And discharge of "firearm" (if airgun is classified by the county or the city ordinance as such) carry some serious penalty on the offense.

I was zeroing the Gamo 177 at that big open space and bushy area (yes, with some rabbits and coyotes) at the back of Baseline between 210 and immediately a Police chopper shadowed me that I have to leave the place pronto.

#13 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Yeah, since most people cannot immediately differentiate between an air rifle/pellet gun and a powder burner/firearm (especially from a distance) there is always the possibility that they will become concerned or unnerved at the sight of any gun shaped object; especially with all of the crazy idiots getting their hands of guns and going on shooting sprees the last 6 months or so :angry: .

There is an area where I shoot ground squirrels that is forestry land and legal to hunt there, but it is near a road and a highway so I always make sure to keep a good distance from both roadways (as per regulations) and typically stay very well out of sight from people, traffic and the ground squirrels. ;) I have found that even though we may be in the right that others may still try and cause problems for us law abiding citizens. :( But there's nothing new about that! :doh[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users