#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

looking in Cabela's Mid Winter sale CATALOG. Boots with 400 grm of Thinsulate and Gortex liner or 69 bucks and boots(similar type) with out Gortex or 49 bucks. Both claim to be 100% waterproof . How badly do I need the Gortex? Boots I'm looking at our on pages 119 Avalanche 11 upper right hand corner.(With out Gortex) The other boot with the gortex is on page 117 Lower left corner "Winter Gear boot"? What say ye?

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

I'm not near as big a fan of Thinsulate as I am of Gortex. I want my feet dry. There is nothing worse for me than wet feet. That will make me cold in a hurry.

#3 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Well they have something called "Dry Plus" No I can't have wet feet either. So Gortex allows for breathing.I'll call Cabela's see what they say

#4 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

I have had 5 pairs of Danners all with Gor-Tex. Not once had I had a problem getting my feet wet. Gor-Tex works great IMHO. If I had to choose between the two, I would get the ones with Thinsulate and Gortex so your feet waill stay dry AND warm. The Gor-Tex won't do anything for insulation, but that many Grams of Thinsluate wil keep your feet toasty...

#5 Ken H

Ken H

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting, bird hunting. Reloading.

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

Never cheat yourself on good hunting boots, once your feet get cold and wet your SOL!!! :lol:

#6 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

DITTO !

#7 kissacoyote

kissacoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

There are two places you should never cheap out: Your mattress and your boots; because if you're not in bed, you're probably on your feet.

#8 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

Through experience, good and bad, I have evolved to 400 gram Thinsulate and Gor-Tex hunting boots, Wigwam socks and Polypropylene liners for all hot and cold weather hunting. Deer hunting from a stand in below Zero weather in NY is the only exception. In that instance I use Sorrel -100 deg snow packs. Someone once told me Gor-tex was only guaranteed for 2 years that may or may not be true. What I do know is that the Browning boots(made by Red Wing) that I just retired started leaking this year, they were purchased in 1989, worn every year and resoled once. I wish I bought three more pair of them but they are no longer produced. I settled on Danner GTX 400 gram Thinsulate and Gor-tex. Hope they are half the shoe the Brownings were.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users