Photo

Can too slow a bullet , lead , cause leading ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

I know the modern lead bullets are hard and can with stand a bit of velocity ( 1200 + fps ) maybe more . But in my 44special , running winch load data , i have an average of 600 fps out of my 4" barrel . The data shows 748 fps .

Using winch brass , winch lprimer , silver state 200grn lfp bullet , 3.8 grains of Clays .

I shot winch factory cowboy load and it runs 723 for comparison .

Googled the heck out of it and never found a post with results that slow . Usually 750-900fps .

Forgot to ad this was the gun I was trying to clean and with right jag and patch , it would not go down the bore .

Andy

#2 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

Andy
I'd do a couple things. Inspect the bore. And slug the bore.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

If you told us you couldn't get a jag and patch down the bore and it was a .22 I could believe that. But either your patch material is really thick or the patch is just to big. Run the wire brush for the caliber and see how that works. If it goes through then start trimming your patches until you can get them through the bore.

#4 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

They all cause leading to a degree, but faster loads cause more than slower.

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

SJ : I ended up just running the patch over the brush through it 5-10 times and then the same jag and patch went through without issue .

And before my arms and hand got bad , I shot it once a month , up to 350 rds in match and practice and cleaned it without issue with same jag and patch combo after I got home .

That's what made ask about a cleaning service . Because it probably is just me .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users