#1 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

For this weekend, drive 2 hours for the final weekend of turkey open season or drive just 30-45 minutes for rabbits -- or maybe some quail?

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Its end of season I think Id go after turkeys...
Ive never hunted turkeys but I figure if turkey hunters are like deer hunters.... you got a tag you hunt til you fill it :)

#3 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Thanks CoyoteHuntress.

I'm really inclined towards going after turkey with your sage advice.

One more please and I've been to your website.

Off topic since the thread on this have been locked. How long does a deer head last in the freezer? I got one that must be 3-years old. I've contacted a taxidermist from IE 3 years ago but he failed to pick it up. Now the money is gone (and hard to come by as you'll understand). I don't know if I'll get the money again or whether the head is still good enough for mounting.

It's a 4x4 public land buck if I may brag.

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

As far as Turkey hunting goes, don't forget that you'll have the spring season too. :) That goes from March 30th through May 5th. And if I understand the regulations correctly, if you don't get any during the fall season you can still get a total of 3 in the Spring season. Although you are limited to 1 bearded per day. Rabbit and Quail seasons end on January 27th... I think.

I say do which ever you've got the itch for more... or if it turns out that you don't have the time or money for the 4 hours combined driving time to get to and from Turkey land, you can always go for rabbit and quail. :good: I plan to go for Turkey in the Spring season since I didn't have time to get out this fall season. Plus I still need to locate a few more turkey hunting spots. I've found some in the off season in a couple of locations, but once the season started they weren't around. Go figure... :crazy:
  • BeastSlayer likes this

#5 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

ARH,

Did you get my PM?

One more variable to the mix. I have an important visitor coming tomorrow. There goes the plans.

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Yep, I received it. Thanks. I'll get the item packaged up tonight for shipment on Friday. :good:

#7 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Sorry I didnt check back on this... As for the deer head... It all depends on how it was frozen...If it was rolled properly protecting the ears and such, it can last a very long time in the freezer... BUT if not properly wrapped freezer burn can damage the cape. BUT Ive taken some really bad freezer burnt ones and turned them around.. Not saying it can be done on all of them but some Ive managed to save... Basically you wont know what the condition is until you thaw it out and check it over. Usually the ears will get burnt first if they arent properly protected.

#8 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thanks CoyoteHuntress for the info.

You will be first or top of mind should I get the money to have the head mounted.

#9 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Most taxidermist require a deposit up front and allow payments on the balance...or pay off at pick up :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users