#1 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I got my new Benjamin Discovery in 22 caliber with the pump package.

Indeed the reviews are true. It's one accurate son-of-a-gun.

I zeroed it in at 30 yards and it's punching the target paper in very nice grouping. Kept the air pressure in the green zone to keep consistent accuracy and I did not even notice a bullet drop at the low end of the zone.

I can even say it's more accurate than my 22 CZ rimfire -- although I'll concede I used 3 different bullets: Rem Sub-sonic, Rem Thunderbolt and Win Super X.

The sub-sonic is hitting an inch below and the Win is an inch high.

And no, the Benji is not a lot louder -- even against the Rem Sub-sonic.

Now I got to find myself a place to hunt wabbits. Ironically, there's plenty right in some neighbors' backyards amd the local Golf club but I doubt if I be allowed to hunt there.

After, of course, a 2-hour trip for the last week-end of the open season for turkey. And maybe some chukar and quail too which I found in the last visit to my happy hunting grounds. I hope the hunting gods will be with me this time since never seem to get a deer there.

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Congratulations on the new purchase. :good: Those Benji Disco's are nice entry level air rifles.

I own one that I've modified and replaced the stock on and it is a very accurate air rifle. I've taken it out jack rabbit hunting a few times and it has two jack rabbits under it's belt, but since I have a .22 and a .25 Marauder air rifle also, it doesn't see as much hunting time; especially since the .22 and .25 Marauder shoot faster, are much quieter and don't typically spook the other rabbits that might be nearby. The best pellets for the .22 Disco are either the 15.9 grain JSB pellets or the 18.1 grain JSB Jumbo Exact Heavy pellets. I use both in my Disco with great success.

I wish you success in your hunts with your new air rifle and look forward to seeing photos of your hunts with it. :yahoo:
  • BeastSlayer likes this

#3 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

ARH,

Thanks! Coming from a veteran of many succesful wabbit whacking adventures, I really appreciate it. In fact, I'm planning to walk in your footsteps if you don't mind -- no, not the expensive collection of air rifles but in wabbit hunting.

Yes, I'm almost disappointed when I got my new Benji and noticed it does not have the same heft as my previous air rifles. I did not buy myself the Crosman 2260 although my childhood all-time favorite was the 160 -- purposely due to bad reviews on plastic parts and the not-so-robust construction.

I am taking your advise to try to heavier JSB pellets. I've zeroed in with Crosman 14.3 grain pellets although I noticed that it is doing as much mayhem on the poor tin can as much as my 22 CZ LR rimfire with Rem and Win bullets.

Next step for me is to find myself my rabbit hunting heaven and have a few of them meet their maker.

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I tried the 14.3 CPHP's in my Disco with erratic results. If you order from Pyramyd Air you can get four tins for the price of three which is a pretty good deal. The 15.9 JSB's group well almost all the time, but I find that the 18.1 grain JSB's tend to use the air a little more efficiently, have a better power curve (typically around a 2.5% to 3% variance between the starting, peak and ending shots, and retain more energy at further distances, so I use those most of the time since my .22 Marauder also seems to like them. :)

As far as the "heft" of the rifle, take it from me... if you plan on putting a scope on it you'll like that it is light after carrying it around for a few hours. After I inlet and installed the Boyd's Thumbhole Sporter stock on my Disco it was much nicer to shoulder, but gained some weight. With the scope mounted it weighs in at around 7 1/2 lbs, which is still lighter than my .22 and .25 Marauders with scopes (they are around 10 1/2 lbs). It makes a great air rifle to carry around all day without your fingers or hand falling asleep from carrying it in the ready position.

You may already know this, but when looking for rabbit hunting locations try and get to a potential area and drive around an hour or so before sunrise. If you spot them running across a road (dirt or paved) then the rabbits will be out in the surrounding areas for sure. Also look for scat and prints. If you find a location with allot of fresh rabbit scat then you'll most certainly bag yourself a few rabbits (if the rabbits will stay still long enough). Oh, I almost forgot... if you don't have a Chrony you may want to pick one up so that you know how fast your Disco is shooting the preferred pellet you are shooting. Then you can download Chairgun Pro on you computer or smartphone, enter the FPS (feet per second), pellet weight (if you use the JSB's they are already in the pellet catalog), height from center of barrel to center of scope and you can see what the hold over or under for various yardages are. This helps take the guess work out of your impact points and increases your harvesting success.

Anyway, I'm excited for you and look forward to hearing the results of your future hunts. :)
  • BeastSlayer likes this

#5 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

ARH,

Thanks again for the tips and advise. I am learning a lot already.

I'm ordering the 18.1 grain JSB pellets. It makes sense I think physics-wise. Intituitively, a heavier pellet makes a lot of wallop on mammals like rabbits.

If it will continue to pose no problems, I can even use the lighter 14.3 grain on birds and the heavier ones on the larger games. Even the lighter Crosman pellets are having very tight group in my Benji though reading the reviews, you have something in common on some of them in terms of problems with this pellet weight.

I have no problem with the trigger since I've seen worst and able to handle it, but I'll also order brass triggers. I wonder if there are also plastic contact points in the trigger mechanism and if I can just buy a whole all-metal trigger assembly.

Funny, I used to find lots of bunnies, quail, chuckar and tree squirrels in the neighborhood, nearby golf courses or when I was deer and hog hunting. But I have not much interest then. I wonder how my luck will hold when I am already pursuing them (LOL).

Thanks again!

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

You are quite welcome concerning the help/advise. I just try to give back since so many helped (and are still helping) me out when I got into airguns and hunting.

The lighter and less expensive pellets will probably work fine for 20 yards or less on pretty much any small game or birds. The 18.1 JSB's will hold their grouping at much longer ranges for sure as I have found in my use of them.

As far as getting a metal trigger... I actually have a brass one that is already installed in a Discovery Trigger Assembly. All you would need to do is remove the trigger assembly on your Disco and install this one. No need to open up the assembly that way. I purchased it to install on my Disco, but since I use my Marauders about 95% if time I decided not to install the assembly. If you are interested you can PM me and I'll let you know how much I would be willing to sell the whole assembly for and I can PM you some photos of the assembly with the trigger in it. I'll even PM you instruction for installation :). I'll also install some nylon screws in the trigger assembly so that you can adjust the over travel on the trigger (it is called a (2) screw mod). I've done that mod to my Disco trigger and it makes it a little nicer to use.

As a final note, keep in mind that the lighter the pellet, the faster it will travel out of your PCP air rifle. The faster it goes, the louder the shot (which is not a problem when hunting on larger parcels of private land or when out on public land). If the pellets reach over 900+ FPS, some pellets tend to lose stability in flight and start to tumble or wobble badly. With the Disco in it's factory tuned state the 14.3 grain CPHP's are probably shooting around 840FPS or perhaps a little more. I have installed a heavier hammer spring in my Disco and so it lets out a bit more air per shot. With that mod and shooting the 18.1 JSB's I get a starting velocity of around 800FPS for the first shot and peak around 815FPS at the 8th through 11th shots and by the 16th shot it is back to around 800 FPS. With that same heavy hammer spring using the 15.9 grain JSB's, if I remember correctly... I get a starting velocity of 823 with a peak of 842 and by the 16th shot it is back to 823 or so.

Anyway, I don't want to flood you with too much chatter and information, I just get a little carried away when I get to pass along information concerning airguns that I'm familiar with. Hopefully when you get it out in the field the bunnies and birds will cooperate with you and you'll bring some home for table fare. :)
  • BeastSlayer likes this

#7 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

ARH,

I'm interested to buy your Discovery Trigger Assy. PM me your price and address to send the check (I suppose you prefer this method of payment). I don't know how this site's e-mail system so you have to pull the trigger on this one, so to speak. And my office computer is either blocking some sites or just too slow I fail to sometimes get the page to show up.

No problem on the science of ballistics. I used to be this wanting-to-be-precise and technical too and I can still follow.

I've also outgrown the "it's the equipment" issues -- even in my golf where I already long ago quit buying the best and the latest.

BTW, I'm going back to birds after CA started allowing use of air gun on 'em (hopefully, I won't have to shoot them while perched or preening which, I apologize to anyone I may offend, maybe a bit unsportsman like).

And never to worry, I find your posts very informative.

#8 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Ray,

Sent you a PM.

It's a go for the trigger assy.

Thanks!