• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I've been thinking about getting a .223 to do some Coyote, Bobcat and other applicable hunting and I've been looking at a few different models that would be within my budget, but would be something I like the feel of.

Today I finally pulled the trigger on purchasing my first .223. I decided on a Savage 111 in .223 and got the Trophy Hunter Package (Sorry Frank :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ). The action is so smooth! Wow! It is like butter smooth! The downside... I've got to wait 10 days to bring it home :( .

I'm excited to be able to pick it up and then take it out, check the zero and get good at hittng my intended target with it. In the meantime I'm going to practice my hand calling and get good at that. I also need to take out my Remington 770 in .30-06 and do some more shooting with it as well for my upcoming hog trip in a few months.

Anyway, I just though I would share my excitement. :yahoo:

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Congratulations on your fine new rifle, and excellent choice of caliber. I actually do like many of Savage's models, and still own & like one of their rifles. Just please do not tell the other Team Remington members, ok? :lol:

It is always exciting purchasing a new firearm. I thought I was done & you would think I would know better at my age. LOL Anyway, I think you are going to be very pleased with your choice and is going to serve you well... forever!!

Let us know when you end up slaying something with it, and Good Luck :good:

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Nice rifle they're accurate you'll like it allot.

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Congrats on the .223. Yeah, Savage makes good rifles. My .30-06 and .270 Winchester Model 116 Weather Warriors are really nice to shoot and quite accurate.

#5 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yeah buddy! Enjoy your new boomstick, and don't forget the ground squirrels need a little lovin' too... :P

#6 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Like I said before savage makes damn fine rifles. Congrats on your purchase. I am sure you will have a great time with it.
Frank I read what you wrote lol. My feelings are they can't all be on Team Remington lol. ED

#7 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Congradulations on the new one,
It is always a happy day when You get a new gun.
Tom

#8 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

You are on the path that is no turning back, don't say we did not warn you. Congrats on your purchase.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Do you know what your doing ? What if you get a coyote? your life was a mess already Theres no hope for you. :good: We need pictures when its freed from jail.

#10 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

GRATS :) You think the 10 day wait is long....wait til you have it in your hands and you have to wait to get it bloody :LOL...

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Good for you getting a powder burner. And excellent choice in caliber, (one of) the most efficient out there. If you use that thing to hunt them rabbits with like you do the air guns, something the size of a dog will be a walk in the park. Your daughter should be able to shoot that thing just fine too, (next to) no recoil. Hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoy the air guns.

#12 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

One gun..many tasks. You selected wisely.

#13 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Ten days that's not long...... 240 hr... oh crap! that is long.

Have fun!

#14 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Congrats on the new toy. Now you will be more versatile but have a more difficult time. Why? Do I take the powder burner, air gun both and then what do I need now. Like the others said nice choice of caliber and you do already have one Remmy.

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know I'm going to have an enjoyable time getting to know this rifle and hunting with it.

Do you know what your doing ? What if you get a coyote? your life was a mess already Theres no hope for you. :good: We need pictures when its freed from jail.

Thumper Dunker, I think I know what I'm doing... I think I'm going to get so addicted to hunting that I'll never be able to turn back :crazy: . If I get I coyote I'm sure I'll be addicted for life. And you are right, it was bad enough with the airgun hunting, now that I have the Remington .30-06 and the Savage .223 I've opened a huge can of worms :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: . I'll post some photos of both rifles once I pick up the Savage next week. :)

Good for you getting a powder burner. And excellent choice in caliber, (one of) the most efficient out there. If you use that thing to hunt them rabbits with like you do the air guns, something the size of a dog will be a walk in the park. Your daughter should be able to shoot that thing just fine too, (next to) no recoil. Hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoy the air guns.

Hey there buddy, I did have the Remington in .30-06, so this will be my second powder burner :doh[1]: . I know I haven't posted much about having it and I haven't shot anything other than targets with it, but you can bet as soon as I do I'll be posting the story and photos :good: . I'm hoping to go to the desert and shoot some targets with both the .30-06 and .223 in a couple of weeks. Then as long as I feel confident that I'm shooting the .223 accurately I'll be heading out to try and call in some coyotes and attempt to fill my bobcat tag :).

I think my next purchase will end up being a semi-auto shotgun for hunting birds. Ugghhh!!! There's no hope for me now. My air rifles are going to start to get jealous. :rofl2:

#16 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Yep, you're ruined. lol And good for you :good:

I think a semi auto shotgun is an excellent choice, especially for quail anyhow. I was considering buying one a couple weeks ago, but then that dxxn salesman put the Colt AR in my hands & changed my mind. I own a couple pumps & an O/U, but never a semi-auto (yet), & do think they may be best for upland game IMO. Maybe??

Anyway, you're on a (good) roll now

#17 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Welcome to a new addiction!

Yes, the next move is dressing it up (ooops, manly-word alert, it is should making it "tactical").

#18 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I own a couple pumps & an O/U, but never a semi-auto (yet), & do think they may be best for upland game IMO. Maybe??

Yep, especially since these days most of the autos weigh as much or less than their counterparts. Not like my 20 year old auto that weighs a pound for each year old now! My brother, a die-hard pump guy, bought an old Remington 11-48 20ga and you can't pull it out of his hands now. He says he finally realizes what he's been missing :lol:

Uh-oh, you're in or a world of :crazy: now! It starts with the shotgun, then lead to birds on the brain, then next thing you know you will want to reload your own shells. Then you will be spending your only day off patterning and testing your loads, even in rainy, foggy, cold weather like this
Posted Image

#19 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Yikes!!!! :yikes[1]: Now that is some thick Pea Soup Fog! I guess you'd have to be a quick shot to hit that clay (or bird) before it dissapeared into the "Mists of Forgetfulness" and out of sight. But I think you and the others are right... I'm a gonner :1087: :crazy: :tease: and there's no turning back for me. :) But I think that is an exceptional thing... :D

#20 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Well, I picked up the new rifle a few weeks back and have been much too busy to take photos or even get out to shoot it. I know I said I would post the photos, but I've been way to busy with work and family lately to break free and do that.

The rifle is nice for what it is (price point-wise) and will serve me just fine...hopefully for many years to come. I'm hoping to get some time before my trip to Texas to make sure it is sighted in well and I'm shooting good with it. I'll try to take some photos in the next week or so and post them.

#21 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Good luck with the New Savage, and keep us posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users