• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

I have a Beeman R1 in 22 cal that I got from my dad when he passed away. I used the R1 as a kid in the 1980s and remember it being much more powerful. I remember it being deadly on almost anything I shot.

The R1 is now 30 years old and I am wondering how do I determine if it needs a rebuild kit or if that is the performance level of an R1. The gun probably has less than 1000 rounds through it.

How deep should a Beeman silver jet pellet penetrate into a dry fir 2 x 4? I am not sure if they make the silver jet pellets anymore but they look similar to the silver arrow I see they now produce.
Just for reference..the pellets were purchased at Sims Hardware on 9-14-1985 (receipt in box) for you nostalgic types who live (or lived) in the Sacramento area. I loved that store when I was a kid.

Thanks,

David

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Nice pest control rifle. Start by using a chrony to see how fast your R1 shoots various pellets, then compare your results against the chart here. Performance can vary from rifle to rifle, but this chart will give you a good general idea of what your rifle should be doing. Go to this link, then click on the "Our Take" tab.

http://www.straights...-.22-beech.html

If you need to have a new spring and seals installed, there are people who will do that work for you or you can buy the parts,from Beeman or Jim Maccari, build a spring compressor and do it yourself. For example, Ed Canoles rebuilds R9's and might rebuild your R1. Or Rob Hawkins does air rifle rebuilding and tuning. There are others but I'm not sure who all does it these days. You can track them down on the Yellow Forum. www.yellowforum.com.

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yep, Ratassassin covered the bases perfectly. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users