• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

going to load some 40 s&w. I havent loaded a straight walled case ,so this will be new for me. Assuming it headspaces off the case mouth, case length must be critical as well as the COL. ? Igot the Lee 4 die set that has a seperate die for the crimp. also bought a lone wolfe barrel for the Glock 22 as it supports the case fully. The glock 31 in 357 sig does support the case . I dont plan to work up to max loads ,as i find the lower pressure loads are more fun to bang at the targets.

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

piece of cake compared to your 357 sig. Yeah, headspaces off mouth. FWIW, I've loaded countless 45acp and cant remember ever trimming them. I always make sure the bullet is deep enough to allow the case mouth to contact.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

To double check that with the barrel keep seating the bullet until the case no longer settles in the chamber? Or iguess i could measure end of barrel to back of case and keep seating (.005) at a time until measurement is static?

#4 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Usually the manual o/a length is correct but sometimes, depending on the bullet used, it needs to be seated back a little. Just drop an unfired empty case and measure if you'd like, then compare to a loaded one. At least for me, I can tell when it's making solid contact so I rarely measure one I drop in the chamber...it's more of a reference check. If they are seated too long they sometimes won't go to battery.

Another thing when loading pistol powder is not to load too light. At the worst it can be dangerous and at the least they sometimes start stove piping cause the action spring isn't light enough.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

I want to load for my 40 to just need to get the dies.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

I can't remember which book it was in (I could look i you really want), but it was mentioned that cases for the .40 (don't remember if it was all autos) usually shrink after being fired for some odd, weird reason. Must be true since every case I have is always short no matter how many times they have been loaded.

I also usually crimp an extra .002"-003" to hold the bullet firmly so I don't have any problems like you had with the .357sig. It also allows it to be fired in any gun, even if it has a tight chamber, bit will not wrinkle the case. Thousands of them done this way and nary a hitch ;)
Posted Image

#7 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I load 40SW for my FNP40 with lee turret press and 4 deluxe die set, pretty straight foward.

#8 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

The case length given in most manuals is usually the maximum length. I haven't loaded for my 40 P239 Sig yet but have loaded a lot of 45 and 9mm. A tight enough neck was a problem with RCBS dies, not with Dillon dies. For my selfprotection loads, I'm using factory stuff. But I love to shoot the light loads in my Gold Cups that they were made for.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

I know that some of those competition shooter are using reduced loads and they also use lighter slide springs to so that they will work properly.My old 1911 will go threw light loads with no problem a friend could not fire them in his xd-45 but the 1911 ate them up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users