• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Ever since I got the new dog last year, I've been thinking about a new truck that was bigger. The current truck is a '08 Chevy 1/2 ton Crewcab 4x4 Vmax. I'm lusting for a larger bed. 5 1/2 ft beds are really small.

My previous truck was a 3/4 ton GMC extended cab with a 6 1/2 ft bed. That was more reasonable. I was thinking of another 3/4 ton 6 1/2 ft bed but in a crewcab, but also considering a 8ft crewcab. My dilemma is that I drive it as a commuter to work and around town. I'm just not sure I want to drive that long a truck everyday in the city.

Anyone drive a crewcab longbed in the city everyday? What do you think?
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#2 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

Hey Chuck. I drive an 04 chevy crew cab long bed. I drive that thing everywhere, not so much for the size of the bed, but the room in the cab. It's alot roomier than the wifes car. It is a pain to park sometimes. I like to park it where I can take 2 spots in tandem. I think the thing is 22-23' long. I like the 8' bed, and all the stuff I can haul back there, and being able to shut the tailgate with a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the bed is cool. I'm always hauling something and I'm glad I got the 8' bed over the 6 or 6.5' bed.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

I drive a diesel F250 extended cab with 8' bed every day, and at times it can really suck. Especially since most parking spaces are striped the same width as my truck is, so no room to even open the door alot of times. You learn to pick your spots to park - always with an eye towards not getting in, but for the ease of getting back out if there's cars on both sides of you. That usually means parking in the far reaches of the lot since most people want to park as close as possible.
Driving in heavy traffic can also be a pain as trying to change lanes is a challenge here in So. Cal - Aholes see you want to change lanes so they speed up to block you out. One reason I rarely use turn signals...
Having a full size truck is awesome though for long trips, moving stuff or trips to the dump, but still I'll be looking to pick up the new Ford C-Max later this year for my commutes. $150 a week in fuel is getting really old.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

My Dad drove his 96 chevy 3500 Crew cab long bed dually as a daily driver for 14 years. I drove my old 92 GMC 2500 Ex cab long bed as a daily driver for 10 years. There can be issues at times with parking etc, but you get over it.
My current truck (you've seen it Chuck) is the same length as yours. In the 1/2 tons the Crew Cab and the Ex Cab are the same length bumper to bumper, the difference is in the bed.
I wouldnt mind having your truck to replace the wife's Ex Cab.
If I was buying a new truck it would be a 3/4 ton Crew Cab 6' bed 4x4 Diesel.

try this for a daily driver haha
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hic Ego Statio

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

I drive a 04 Silverado crew cab, with an eight foot bed. And four wheel drive.
I love the truck; she rides like a Mercedes,
Sometimes I have problems with her length, and u turns, and I wish I would have bought a diesel,
But there is plenty of room for friends, and dogs
Tom

Attached Files

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#6 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

This is the current rig. Just getting a little tight with 2 dogs and all.
Posted Image
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Not a crew cab, but an extended cab with a full size bed. Once you come to terms with being willing to park at the furthest spots in a parking lot it really isn't that bad. I will never, I repeat never own a short bed again. You can never add room if needed, but you can always have extra space at no extra cost. But rarely is there a time when it doesn't get filled. And as far as the old saying about long beds high centering or be less manuverable off road, I will gladly find an easier way or make a 10 point turn if needed. This will happen maybe once every blue moon, but the extra space will be needed almost every trip. It is well worth the trade-off to me. And let's be real, if one were that serious about the off-roading, they would be looking or a Jeep and not a truck anyway.

You will also get a better ride out of that longer bed too :good:

#8 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

I drove my crew cab 8 ft bed everywhere... EXCEPT San Fran airport.. there is a length limit there LOL..

Im about to buy me another and I couldnt even imagine having a smaller truck...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#9 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Those trucks aint nothing to find parking for. Find parking spots for mine. I have a 53 foot bed :pot:

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users