Photo

looking for 22-250 1:12 twist non-lead ACCURATE load for yotes.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kernyotehunter

kernyotehunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

title says it all im shooting a savage model 12 22-250 1:12 twist for coyotes. im looking for what grain i should shoot and what brand of bullet seems to shoot the best.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

When I had my 22-250, 12" twist predator Savage rifle, it liked the factory, Remington 45 gr the best. I'm talking about NON lead, as your title shows. I used handloads with my lead bullets in that rifle, and normally handload for non lead also, but never made it that far before I sold it.

Good Luck

#3 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

There is not many Lead Free bullet choices to choose from that will shoot decent in 1-12" twist 22-250s. Try the Nosler Lead Free BT 40 gr, the Hornady Lead Free 35 gr NTX bullets or the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenades.

Most of the factory 22-250 rifles were not made to shoot lead free bullets. Good luck!
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I agree with DaBob, the 35 and 36 grainers are the only real choice in lead free with that twist. I had my 22.250 barrel made with a 1:10" twist just to use the longer 50 grain lead frees and 68 grain lead match bullets.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#5 kernyotehunter

kernyotehunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

what about 223 1:12

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Same bullets may work in the 223 Rem in a 1-12" twist barrel. I don't think any 22 cal Lead Free bullets over 40 gr will work in the 1-12" twist barrels.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I agree... 40 gr non lead works "ok" in my 223, 12" twist Remmy, but the 35 gr works great... I doubt any non lead bullet over 40 grs will shoot accurately... depending on one's definition of "accurate" that is!

#8 kernyotehunter

kernyotehunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

ok thanks...i ordered some 35 grain nosler bt non lead bullets today....any powder recomendations? or how far off the lense i should set them back to start

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

I shot some Barnes Varmint Grenade 50grs in a Sako .223 1-12 twist. Terrible results. Then tried some 36grs. Passable, but not good. I have just loaded some 35gr Noslers but haven't shot them yet.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

ok thanks...i ordered some 35 grain nosler bt non lead bullets today....any powder recomendations? or how far off the lense i should set them back to start

My rifle likes a MAX load of 29.5 gr of Tac with the 35 gr Nosler lead free bullet that chrono's @ 3870 fps from my 26" barrel. HOWEVER, please keep in mind that your rifle may, or may not like this load at all, and may, or may not be above max in your rifle. Start below 29.5 gr in other words.

For the Nosler 40 gr lead bullets, mine loves Benchmark powder. However, there probably is not enough case capacity for this powder with the 35 gr non lead bullet, as the case is nearly completely full with the 40 gr bullet powder charge.

Finally, and as I always say, the 223 likes LOTS of powders and is almost impossible to go wrong with many of them. Varget, IMR 8208, H335, W748, RL10X, 4198 to name just a few others.

Good Luck

#11 kernyotehunter

kernyotehunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

thanks man...how far off the.lands do you set your bullet

#12 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

With the shorter &/or lighter weight bullets it is usually impossible to get close to the lands, and why I do not even bother to. Instead I normally just start close to S.A.A.M.I. overall length guidelines and (sometimes) adjust from there. In fact (after you made me look / lol) both my lead & non lead 35 & 40 gr loads have a (much) shorter O.A.L. than book recommendation.

I know in the past with other light weight (lead) bullet hand loads, my shorter O.A.L. would still often times be considerably longer than some factory ammo of the same style and bullet weight. Plus, all I know is, I get excellent accuracy with my snub nosed rounds with both the lead free & lead bullets.

Anyway, the O.A.L for my 35 gr Nosler lead free load is 2.40". According to one of my manuals, standard is 2.60" (for lead bullets).

I know this does not specifically answer your question, but is how I ended up with mine. Good Luck!

#13 kernyotehunter

kernyotehunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

ok cool thanks for all the help frank

#14 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Your welcome... and good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users