• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Well, "never say never" sure applied to me today. I am still (pleasantly) in shock at what I did today, & is something I always thought I would "never" do... for too many reasons... I thought! lol

Anyway, up until now, I only had a passing interest in AR style rifles... for anything, but especially for coyote hunting. All the various brands & models just either didn't fit me right, was too light, too heavy(huh?), too short, or too expensive etc etc. Not too mention my biggest concerns of velocity loss and accuracy, compared to a bolt gun.

But today, I met my Water Loo, sorta speak. I saw the AR below that I had never seen before & is not in Colt's 2012 catalog. I have not checked on line though. Again, it is a Colt, model # CR6720, with 20" barrel and solid rear stock, with perfect balance & weight (for me). The only difference in mine from the pic below is, mine is a stainless barrel that I will probably cover with cammo tape when hunting.

So, now for the 10 day jail period, scope and range time, and if it can shoot minute of coyote, out to the fields it will go. We'll see!

Oh, & since my vote for president never counts (lately), what better way to flip oxx defy the bxxtxxd?

Attached File  Colt AR.jpg   10.41KB   4 downloads

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Good luck with the new AR Frank! Looking forward to seeing some of your targets once you pick her up and get it set up!

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

That's how I like 'em. Fixed stock and a smooth handguard. Thats how I'm building mine

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks Grant & Dave... Yeah, the "accuracy" part will be interesting and will post up asap.

Oh, and mine is on Colt's website. I have the wrong catalog. It's the "customer" section where it is shown

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Nice looking AR Frank. :good:

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Frank, Im also interested in the weight once you get her up and running, Is it a 20" BB Or do they make it with a thinner barrel?

#7 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Frank,
Are you gonna leave me all alone with my walnut stocked bolt guns? Luke, come back out of the dark side while it's not too late.

Those things will give you gas.

#8 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

WOW! I didn't see that coming. :signs684mh:

#9 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

SXS you are not alone. I don't care how accurate, light, heavy, pretty, ugly,dependable, fast, or whatever blackguns just don't turn my crank. It's bolt guns for me forever. My son and grandson have AR's, lol told my grandson it was nice but I spent my time in the army and didn't want to play anymore lol. Damn Frank I am really sorry to see you slip lol, but if you ever what to return to the light there will be some us waiting for you my friend lol. ED

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have several black guns and have shot many more. I just don't care to carry one around. I seem to be able to hit what I want with a bolt gun and they feel better in holding and shooting them. I think some of the appeal for them is all of the predator hunting shows that use them. Don't get me wrong I've owned some of mine since the early 80's and had to register them just to keep them. They can be fun to shoot but I like to reload and hunting down brass just doesn't appeal to me. I hope your new gun works out for you Frank.

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

LOL... Thanks All... I totally understand the shock, & good points by all, as I am still trying to recover myself.

Grant, not sure about a lighter barrel in that particular model. The barrel is not a bull barrel, but not thin either. Pretty much a standard type I believe?! The website says the whole rig is around 9 lbs but did not feel that heavy to me. However?

I don't know if this rifle will even last for me, but hope it does of course. ShooterJohn states some of my exact concerns in that a bolt gun just feels a lot better in holding and shooting & I can actually hit something with a bolt gun. I "hear" lots of great accuracy reports from an AR, but truth be told, I haven't personally seen one yet that I couldn't out shoot with a bolt rifle. I'm talking stock rifles in both cases, AR vs Bolt. Doesn't mean a more accurate AR doesn't exist, just I haven't seen it is all... and that's from LOTS of shooting.

Anyway, I really do understand what everyone says, so will be an interesting "project" if nothing else. Time will tell! You may be hearing I sold it 12 months from now. But I hope not. And I do appreciate your offer, Ed, in case I do "see the light" again. lol

#12 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

I had one years ago and sold it like a fool. I had a few bars too. One in 06,7mag and 243. I am in to the 700 remmys now. I like the accuracy and lightness. Congrats on a new gun!! It will be fun.

#13 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

I have both types of guns, the "right" ones, and the AR's... :D I STILL have mixed emotions about black rifles. What it boils down to FOR ME is that I like a semi auto. That's it, all my guns are accurate as I don't have time for guns that won't group well.

Good luck. It took me a little while to get used to the ergonomics of the AR, but now it feels normal.

#14 jessedlc

jessedlc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

nice!!!frank I might have just missed you I was shopping for optics today at proforce and turners, and picked up a ANF hunting map

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Again ALL...

Jesse, I bought it at Fowlers (in Orange(?) around noon time today. Turners, Field Time, Stockade, Ammo Brothers & Rifle Gear appeared to have lower than normal inventory. Of course Turners is pretty well stocked on certain ones, especially S&W M&P's, due to their sale starting this (black) Friday, day after Thanksgiving. But none of the stores had what I liked except Fowlers.

Oh, btw, I personally do not care as much for Ammo Brothers or Rifle Gear, as the customer has to take a # & usually wait quite awhile before being helped by some meathead that acts like you should already know exactly what you want, so the salesman can move on to the next customer. Hardly personal service! Just my opinion though!

Anyway, Film at 11 on how &/or if, I end up liking or disliking this jam-o-matic! :D

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

NOT ONLY IS IT AN AR, BUT IT'S NOT EVEN A REMINGTON!!! :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

Only shot two, one an official state issue to a Colorado State Trooper (uncle). fairly light and came to shoulder easy. The other was a DPMS boat anchor in .308. Shot well, just HEAVY. Nothing real bad to say, just that you can have them.

When you tire of your melted-down-foreign-car rifle you are more than welcome to borrow a "real" semi-auto. You know, the ones with levers on the bottom of them :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

#17 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

I have several black guns and have shot many more. I just don't care to carry one around. I seem to be able to hit what I want with a bolt gun and they feel better in holding and shooting them. I think some of the appeal for them is all of the predator hunting shows that use them. Don't get me wrong I've owned some of mine since the early 80's and had to register them just to keep them. They can be fun to shoot but I like to reload and hunting down brass just doesn't appeal to me. I hope your new gun works out for you Frank.

I'm with you John.

I still have to own an AR type rifle. My Gunsmith buddy Jim promised to build me the most accurate AR type rifle if I want it but so far, I'm not taking the bait. Until that Texas night pig hunting comes into reality, I'll pass for now.

#18 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

I really think they would be great if and when we as hunters ever have to lay down a field of fire power lol. I think if that ever happens I will join the snipers, who still use bolt guns, or take up fishing. Ed

#19 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

i bought one in the 80s for the ultimate hog rifle around dogs. small bullet with minimal noise ,clip fed,durable and peep sites. The first time i used it i had 3 dogs barking in 3 locations in a heavy manzanita patch. I got to the first dog and popped the first hog. Crawled to the second dog, and click. the clip got dumped crawling thru the manzanita. I crawled out and borrowed my old friends model 64 30wcf and went back to finish what i started. went to town that afternoon and traded it for a pristine model 94 in 25-35 with a williams peep site. it is a fantastic little cartridge for hogs and deer.

#20 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

My new upper showed up yesterday from Midway. I'll buy the lower after thanksgiving to spread out my spending a little bit haha.
Now to decide on Optics.....

#21 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Cool... You may have yours together & out shooting and hunting with it before I do... I will have to use one of those old obsolete bolt guns if I go hunting before then. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :bleh[1]:

I'll probably buy the scope today, along with some various types of ammo. I'm leaning towards the Leupold VX II 3x9x40... Bear Basin has it for $299 with free shipping, but I want to do a little more looking around. I've put Zeiss (my favorite) on my last several rifles, but will likely go with Leupold... (again) lol

#22 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Shane....come back Shane...

#23 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign:

#24 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Frank,
Are you gonna leave me all alone with my walnut stocked bolt guns? Luke, come back out of the dark side while it's not too late.

Those things will give you gas.

Chuck, Weren't you just asking about AR's a few months ago? Decided against it?

#25 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Oops, nice catch, Dave...

Chuck, I honestly cannot recall my last walnut stocked rifle :smiley-sorry:... Perhaps an absolute gorgeous 257 Weatherby mag (Mark V) over 22+ yrs ago? The only wooden stocked weapons I now own are on my shotguns, with my Beretta O/U being my favorite. The others are 870's, one being a Wingmaster, that my (cheapskate) youngest son took over years ago.

Only my Ruger hand gun, & 1 old 22lr J.C. Higgins rifle has a factory wooden stock, with the rest of my (hand guns) wearing factory rubber handles.

Some of my more semi-recent rifles were laminated that I also no longer have. All my current bolt & semi auto's are synthetic. H/S precision stocks are on my Rem 700's. All my other rifles, including this new Colt, has factory synthetic stocks. Even my Savage 22 mag is synthetic.

So yes, Chuck, even this old goat has "fallen" (into the 21st century). :signlol2iu:

#26 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

I suggest you get the Leopold scope mount. I have it on my 223 upper, it's really nice! I have a Nikon mount on my 204, it's ok but not as solid as the Leopold.

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

I went with the LaRue Tactical Scope Mounts. I can remove the scope and put it back on and it shoots to the same point of aim.

And Frank you can buy uppers that shoot one hole groups like my White Oak Armament. It shoots the very same ammo my Savage and Remington's eat and they are just as accurate. Just too heavy for me to pack around and non hunters you run into look at you like you are a terrorist.
  • Bennie likes this

#28 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Frank,
The last rifle I built was Rem 600 action in 284 Win, I barreled it myself, and stocked it myself in walnut. I do have one synthetic stocked gun, a 1917 Enfield in 338 Win Mag.

Posted Image

Dave
Yeah, I rethought it. Just can't get excited about one...

#29 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

It shoots the very same ammo my Savage and Remington's eat and they are just as accurate. Just too heavy for me to pack around and non hunters you run into look at you like you are a terrorist.

Well, that (accuracy) sounds good, John, especially since I now own one. But even though I believe you, I still can't help but be a little skeptical. Old age likely than anything else. lol I mean, how many benchrest shooters are using AR's? Honest question, as I do not know. Not that too many, if any, of us are in that league, but would still be another guideline &/or comparison. Also, mine is not too heavy, and will be approx 1/2-3/4 lbs lighter than my Rem 700's. So weight should not be an issue.

And I totally agree on the terrorist look, which is a very real threat to hunting as a whole. The public votes! We don't have to look far for that, with our own F&G Commissioner being FIRED for HUNTING. Sorta says it all. So I do not like that part of it as well.

Anyway, this will be an interesting & hopefully fun & successful project for me. Like other (projects), it may or may not work out. Of course I am hoping it does. If not, then it will go to the way side as some of my other failed projects have. But if successful, it may, or may not become another fine, if not outstanding predator rifle. Time will tell!

Chuck, that is a gorgeous rifle for sure... but for how long, if used for much hunting at all; especially in foul weather? In other words, it may be best in gun shows, instead of being hauled over rugged terrain & in nasty weather such as one of our hunts in my pic below. But hey, different strokes for different folks, and is what makes all this the more interesting & enjoyable... p.s. that white stuff is called snow! lol

Attached Files

#30 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

My 223 AR seems accurate enough to me, this is 5 shots at 100 yards.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users