• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Yes it is :good:

#32 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Like I stated in my first post in this thread, I'm not really an "AR" Guy, I just prefer semi autos. Another nice thing is that they're SO EASY to work on.

I have a couple nice bolt guns too, a Weatherby in 243 Winchester, and a 1953 Mod 70 in 30/06. I love guns, I think we all do! Personally tho, I really like the AR for varmint shooting, it's fast. If I was to do it again tho I'd just get a 700 like we picked out for my Pops. Just as accurate, holds almost as many shells, cheaper, and doesn't look like an assault rifle.

But I'm very pleased with my varmint zapper. I've seen some groups shot with Colts like you bought, and they are nice'n'tight. I think you'll be pleased. If you can get accustomed to the ergonomics then you'll be fine. That was the hardest part for me.

#33 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Another nice thing is that they're SO EASY to work on.

I suppose that could come in handy, that is IF of course I ever have to do anything to my bolt guns or lever guns to make them keep firing :P

#34 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

All evil stuff it proves the end times are among us. Frank your , your , your, I, I, I, can't beleave it :crazy: . Looks cool hurry up and get it diald in.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#35 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign:

Thanks, TD & Chuckocaster... and even Bob (Bisley), too, I think?! :D

I picked up the scope yesterday for it, and even a few more different types of 223 factory ammo... that I need like a hole in the head. lol Still doubt if it will be ready before I go looking for ole wiley again though. But am peddling as fast as I can (to get it ready to go).

Chuck, if this bucket of bolts shoots as good as you say, & what I hear, then I should be happy with it. Then it will be just getting used to the ergonomics thing as you say... IF I can (get used to it)... hopefully!!

#36 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Mine loves the Fiocchi stuff, but shoots most ammo well. It's even pretty good with Tula ammo!

#37 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Fiocchi 40 gr v max is one of the ones I bought, along with some factory 40 gr Nosler non lead, made by Nosler. Already have some Black Hills 50gr v max, along with some other factory stuff... Some of these have already worked very well in my bolt and mini 14 rifles, so expect the same with this new Colt... hopefully! We'll see...

#38 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

I shoot the 50 grain Fiocchi loaded Vmax,, and it's super accurate out of my Dad's 700 SPS.

Good luck amigo! Interested to see what load your gun likes. Mine likes both the 40 & 50 gr Vmax.

#39 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

As I lay there last night (couldn't sleep after our duck hunt yesterday) I couldn't help but wonder something. This whole AR and semi-auto stuff wouldn't have anything to do with the "slam dunk" shot you missed the other week and wanting to spray and pray next time now would it? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :bleh[1]: :rofl2:

#40 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

LOL... No, Bob, not at all. But good point! It was my own (mental &/or absent mindedness) mistake that cost me that coyote. Along with doing that with other stuff is happening more often the older I get. I really have to watch myself when hand loading. Scary!

Actually, in terms of trajectory, this AR may be a drawback for coyote hunting, with the lower velocity from it's 20" barrel & shooting factory loads, at least starting out. I've likely killed more coyotes that hung up around 300 (+/-) yards, than I have from needing a 2nd or 3rd follow up shot on either a single or multiple coyotes. So with that in mind, it might take a bit for the AR to beat out my 250.

In other words, with both guns sighted in 1" high at 100 yards & my 26" barreled 250 with its 40 gr bullet at a (chrono'd) 4300 fps will only have an approx 3" drop at 300 yards. The 50 gr bullet at a chrono'd 3900+ fps would be approx 4" drop. My "hunch" (pending chrono) would be more than double this bullet drop with my new jam-o-matic. Maybe even 2 1/2 - 3 times more drop??

I honestly don't know how this AR will work out, IF, it even does, but will be interesting how it does, or doesn't work. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on here.

#41 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Frank hope you like your new rifle. Mine came with 1/2 MOA guarantee. It is amazingly accurate. I like others here do not take mine hunting unless I am on private property. I do not like being looked at like I am a terrorist. I am a Rem 700 guy first and always. I am and accuracy guy next. I will never sell my AR just because of how accurate it is. Mine will put just about any ammo that I have shot through it in a very small hole very fast at a 100 yards. It just impresses me. So much so that I love it.
Posted Image
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#42 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Bennie.... and I totally agree with you, on all of it. There are a few of us Rem 700 first fans on this site. A great thing! :good:

Yours is a great looking, and obviously great shooting AR... The correct balance and weight is one thing I was careful to get, and was probably the number one problem I had with most AR's. This particular model Colt was the first time I had seen, and told the salesman(a friend) I very displeased with him putting me in that situation. LOL I KNEW if I walked out the door without it, I would probably not see one like it again. Soooo, it's like, WHAT CHOICE DID I HAVE ANYHOW? (some truth in that btw) ha! Now, do you forgive me, Bob (Bisley)? LOL

#43 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Here's a good pic of me and mine. I don't feel like mine looks too much like an assault rifle, I think the camo job helps. IDK, when I was younger the only people who had AR's where nut jobs and people who built a "compound" out by the river... Now it seems EVERYONE has one. Oh well, I just worry about me and let other people enjoy themselves. Who am I to pass judgment?

Attached Files

#44 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Very nice, Chuck... And you're right, the camo does not seem as "threatening"... Now I can't help but wonder if I'm not one of those "nut jobs" from those younger days. :D (just kidding)

#45 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

LOL! I feel more like a Scout sniper with mine than a door kicker. ;) I don't mean to offend anyone with my comments. But I think we know who I'm referring to...

#46 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have to admit to loving the way the one I shouldered came up. very natural for sure. I don't think it is the rifle itself that I do not care for as much as it tends to steer most that do end up with it into the overconidence and lack of necessity for the first shot being SO important. Before y'all blast me, I know not everyone does it, but a vast majority seem to. And I cans see why/how. It's human nature when a second shot is that readily available. And it is not just rifles,goes or pistols too. But you have been doing this for long enough Frank, I trust you know what I mean, and trust/hope it does not do the same for you. They can surely be great shooters, and I wish you the best, but that is a road you will be walking alone :lol: . Please keep us posted, really am curious how a devoted bolt gun guy for so many years feels about these. Good luck, hope it shoots well or you.

#47 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

I think you're right on Bisley! I get the hint of sarcasm in your posts, even tho it's over the Web.

#48 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

No blasting here, Bob, as I totally agree with you.

I think many, if not most semi auto owners of any type of weapon(as you say), especially younger folks just want to put the lead in the air, believing they have a better chance of hitting something. Sorta like flock shooting quail with all 3 shells as fast as you can, instead of picking out a single bird. I actually have a (50 yr old) friend that still does that to this day, & he's been hunting for decades.

Come to think of it, I know of at least 3 people that actually shot the same way at deer. One did not use his scope at all, and the others found the deer in their scope & shot with no regard to where the cross hairs were. One of these same individuals actually did that on a herd of bucks. He just saw a bunch of them in the scope and jerked the trigger. The sad part is, one was a true monster of a buck. They all got away of course.

So yeah, I learned the importance of making the first shot count years ago. I also owned at least 3 previous semi auto rifles of various calibers so have some experience with them. Not that I can't still screw up occasionally with coyote fever or absent mindedness, but I'd say the odds are better than good that I won't... very often! ( a disclaimer). LOL ;)

#49 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

One of the 700FANS here. I am sure there are AR"s that are fine shooting rifles,but my thinking is unless I am attacked by 10 or 12 coyotes, 152 squirrels or 6 shunks I think I can handle it with my 700 lol. Just my thinking, but then again I am a cowboy which are not noted for being real smart . Ed

#50 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

at least for me the ar didnt pan out, but there is lots of them out there and I am all for it!! lets hope America get to keep them. !

#51 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I can see how one can get "sloppy" and dump the whole magazine on a running coyote haha. I can safely say I am not one of those guys, but I'm not done building my AR either....
Hic Ego Statio

#52 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,163 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

And your mag will be pinned too Dave. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#53 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

if the mag is pinned how do you load /unload shells in the magazine? Dont tell me you got to treat it like a blind box rifle. I havent been around one since the 80s

#54 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

No, the magazine comes out. There is a button that needs to be pushed in is all. For me, it is no big deal, but some folks think it is (a big deal)

#55 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's no big deal to me, I have yet to be attacked by ground squirrels... ;)

#56 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

No pins in a blot lol. I can cycle the bolt fast enough if I have to get off a second shot. Damn I guess I am just to old fshioned. Ed

#57 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

No pins in a blot lol. I can cycle the bolt fast enough if I have to get off a second shot. Damn I guess I am just to old fshioned. Ed

You would loved to seen the little guy this weekend Ed, I finally started making him use a rifle (bolt action) for rabbits but with very little instruction. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw him cycle the bolt at a running rabbit three times before finally seeing (and hearing) him hit it. But the best part was that the rifle never left his shoulder and his head never came off the stock. Wish I had filmed it :504: Don't know where he got that from, but it was textbook for sure. Sure couldn't have learned it from me, I can't even remember to do it correctly half the time with either bolt or levers :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: . So even though Frank might be is lost to the dark side, there might still be a slim hope for some of the future out there :rofl2:

#58 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hope you like it frank .They are real accurate a friend just built one with a semi bull Wilson barrel and with a stock trigger factory re -man ammo we got one inch groups.Nothing wrong with having different type of rifles they all work .
I want to build one but with that recent bullet button ban Senator Lee tried to pass made me shy away from it..

#59 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hitting 500 yard targets bare sight, this rifle is easily a necessity in case of a zombie apocalypse.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#60 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I think mine had a big safety that said safe,fire and full :oops:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users