• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

What are you fixing?

My wife and I are hosting both sides of our families at our house. We usually do a traditional oven roasted turkey and I smoke a whole ham. I inject the ham with a concoction of my rub, maple syrup, apple juice, and broth. Then put a lot of the rub on the outside. The rub is brown sugar based and has spices to give it some zing.

Here's last years.
Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

That looks tasty Chuck! :good:

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

Sure does.

#4 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

What time do we eat Chuck lol. Looks great. Ed

#5 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Ed,
Dinner's at 5, but you're gonna wanna get here early for the appetizers.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

My Flash Super Hero outfit is at the cleaners. I guess I won't be able to make it. :(

#7 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

That looks awesome!

My Mom passed the torch a couple years back, so I do most of the cooking anymore.

This year I'm BBQing two dry rubbed turkey breasts, bacon fat fried green beans, garlic whipped Taters, homemade beer bread, homemade cranberry sauce, corn (haven't decided on the preparation yet), sweet boiled carrots.

My aunt will bring a salad, and my Mom is making dessert.

#8 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

On the corn...my wife and I have come to love the carmelized flavors of grilled corn. And yellow corn is our preference by far. Much more flavor and not the bland sugary taste of white corn. Compare them side by side and you'll never chose white corn over yellow corn again.
Posted Image

#9 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

I might grill them, I do that a lot! Summertime I basically only cook on the grill. A cold beer and hot coals are my idea of unwinding at the end of the day.

#10 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

It all looks good,
Should I bring a nice bottle of wine?
Tom

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Im hungry now. :drool: :drool:

#12 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

I might grill them, I do that a lot! Summertime I basically only cook on the grill. A cold beer and hot coals are my idea of unwinding at the end of the day.

Ahhh, a man with taste....charcoal is the way to go. While I own a gasser, it ain't what I use to cook most things. I have a couple Bubba/Big Steel Kegs and a 36"x20" offset smoker. I belong to a couple online bbq forums. Friendly bunch of people, those bbq'ers.

#13 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

:smiley_green_with_envy:

This is delicious...nice ham

#14 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

We saw a Good Eats show with Alton Brown this morning. He did a turkey with a dry brining process that was spatchcocked (butterflyed). I think I'm going to give this a shot. Looks like a larger version of my spatched chickens.

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

I saw that episode too Chuck. The turkey looked very good I've never thought of putting the bird directly on the the oven rack. The mashed potatoes looked like more work than I am will to invest in them. I use a ricer all of the time but when I do I rarely even skin the potatoes I just squeeze them through the ricer leaving the skin. I would probably not cook the potatoes in a gallon of milk either. :lol:

#16 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, my wife said the same thing about the taters. She's always in charge of taters. This year I suggested we get some Japanese sweet potatoes from the Japanese market, sata-imo, I think they're called. They're dark skinned like American yams, but have a more whiteish meat and completely different flavor and smell from either American yams or sweet potatoes.

They bring back memories of when I was a kid in Misawa.in the early 60s, just off base, there were these street vendors with old wooden push carts similar to hotdog carts. They had a makeshift oven in the cart and baked these sweet potatoes. You could smell sweet potatoes for a block.

#17 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

I have 4 grills of various sizes, and a 55 gallon drum I stood upright and made into a BBQ/smoker. I don't use gas, nothing against it, it is fast, but I like olde skool stuff. All my grills were either given to me or I bought at garage sales. Same as my cookware, it's all old cast iron. That's what I know how to use.

#18 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

That's a UDS (ugly drum smoker). They have plans for them all over the bbq forums. I made a couple and gave away one. Still have one.

The Bubba Keg I use the most is double wall porcelan coated steel and shaped like a Big Green Egg and similar ceramic kamado cookers. Works about the same as the ceramics. 3 lbs of lump charcoal will do a 24 hr 250F burn. Or you can run it up to 650F for pizza.

#19 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

Very cool! I've seen those eggs, it'd be nice to have one but I'm happy with what I've got. I made my UDS after seeing a friend's. I got a little metal shop in the corner of my Dad's garage, so making things is pretty easy. Usually people will just give you the drums. Mine has a set of holes at the top for hanging meat, and a set about 2/3s of the way up to put a grate on. I got fancy and made deer antler handles for the rebar. I should post a pic..

#20 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

Per the recipe above, I spatchcocked the turkey and made up the dry brine and seasoned it. It's in the fridge chillin now. I gotta get going on the ham rub and injection.

#21 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

NICE! I usually cook a ham for Xmas. I think I'll try that recipe.

#22 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

After todays hunt... Maybe Raccoon under glass? lol On a serious note, We are gonna have Ham. Im gonna try cooking it on the Gas Grill... anyone have tips for the Glaze and cooking method? All input welcome and appreciated!

#23 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

OOM,
This has been working for me...

Get a Farmer John Ham, either butt or shank or whole ham, but NOT SPIRAL CUT.

Buy one of those injection syringe thingys.

Get some John Henry's Sugar Maple Rub from BBQ's Galore or online. If you can't find it or it's too late to get the rub, find a savory rub with the usual paprika, pepper, chili etc. and add about an equal amount of brown sugar to it.

In a sauce pan, add:
1/2 cup of the rub
about 3 cups of chicken broth or vegetable stock
1 cup of real maple syrup

heat and stir until all rub is dissolved. Cool the mixture to room temp.

Trim the fat off the ham.

Score the ham in a diamond pattern about 1/2"-3/4" deep.

Inject the ham with the mixture

Put the ham on a smoker at around 250F or less using apple wood or other fruit wood for smoke and smoke for an hour

Apply the rub and return it to the smoker and allow the temp to slowly rise over the next couple hours toward 350F but not more.

Heat until it's about 150F or more internal

Since you are using a gasser grill, the way I smoked many of these hams before I bought a smoker was to get a small metal smoker box from the bbq store or just use some Reynolds Heavy Duty Foil doubled over and make a large burrito shaped roll with the wood inside. Open it up and use a propane torch or simply place a lit charcoal lump in there with the wood and close it loosely to allow it to smolder but not go out and not flame. You'll have to play with the foil openning. I start with just the wood burrito burning and let the coals from the wood build up the heat over time. You just want smoke initially. Use some foil to close all those side leak paths for the smoke but leave some openning. After you have burned thru an hour or so of wood for smoke, the heat should start building from the coals, You can almost do it all without any gas, but you probably will have to light a burner off to the side to get the heat up in the last couple hours.

I think you'll find people raving over a ham made this way.

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Sounds good!

#25 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Roasting my garlic and making cranberry sauce tonight. Need to keep turkey day as stress free as possible.

Here's my recipe:
One bag of cranberries, one small pomegranate, juice of half a lime and half an orange, white wine, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 agave nectar, all spice, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice. Simmer for.20 minutes or until the berries burst. Puree, add in some dried cranberries and simmer on low until it reduces to the consistency you like.

I serve mine cold but it's good hot also!

Attached Files

#26 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

My sauce is done, had to add another 1/4 cup of sugar as this bag of cranberries was pretty tart. Now they're setting up in the fridge.

Attached Files

#27 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the tip on the Ham, but unfortunately its a Spiral Ham. Im thinking its already sliced so the injection recipe will have to wait. Was interested in an easy Glaze to try. I will try your method on the next one however. It sounds Good!

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Grant buy the spiral cut hams from Sam's Club they are the best ones and they come with a package of glaze that is really good.

#29 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

John, this is a Hormel. It has a Packet for Glaze in it? Just wasnt sure that maybe another glaze might be better. I saw some cola glazes and a few others. Just looking for some ideas.

#30 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Grant,
One or two of the guys on the bbq forum I belong to like a brown sugar, maple syrup and savory rub glaze. I've been known to "cheat" the glazing in local areas with a propane torch when the glazing was uneven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users