9 replies to this topic

#1 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Just opening a new hobby now. I got some basic stuff ordered for loading and am going with a Lee anniversary kit. But aside from the tools of making ammo- what is a recommended powder for 308 and 223. I can't imagine them using different powders but like I said this is all new to me. What do you guys recommend for me??

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

You will find for the most part that each particular rifle will like a load with different powders. However Varget powder has seveal loads for both of the cartridges that you are going to reload. If I had to start with only 1 powder that is what I would probably look at. Varget on the other hand depending upon the weight of bullet you plan on using may not be the best for either. Good luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#3 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

For my 223 I'm using IMR 4198 for both my rem 700 sps varmint and my ar 15. It works well for both of my rifles in 223. As far as 308, I cant remember now which powder I'm using.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#4 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

It is best to have several reloading manuels. I use Hornady, Sierra, Nosler, and Hogdon's. Online you can find a lot of recipes too. Steve's reloading page is just one. Good luck and have fun. Ed

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

The 223 likes LOTS of powders. Did I mention LOTS? So chances are slim to none of picking a bad powder in other words. Sorta!

Grant is right, Varget is always a good one, especially IF only picking one powder. But WHY handload then? Experimenting, target shooting and building the best load possible is part of the fun / reason we play this game IMO... and will usually take several or more powders to achieve this. Usually!

Anyway, just a small sample of those other powders are; Benchmark, Tac, RL10-X, IMR 4198, H335, W748, Varget, H4895, IMR 8208 & others I can't remember. Of these, Benchmark, Tac & RL10X were the top performers for me, in terms of highest velocity AND best accuracy combined.

Also, Ed hits the nail on the head. Use more than one reloading manual. My personal favorites are Nosler & Hodgdon.

On the 308, I personally have little to no experience with this caliber (owning only one many yrs ago & for a short time), along with me having no memory. With that, I think I recall that the 165-168 bullet with IMR 4064 worked great. However?

Good Luck & Happy Shooting

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

gotsch If you want to try 4198, I have half a jar I doubt that I will use. It wont work for the .308 but some like it for .223. I prefer H335 for that. But I live close to you, if you want to try it, let Me know.
Grant
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Another powder that will work for both caliber you've mentioned is the BLC-2.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

BLC-2 and 55 Bergers works good for me . Great velocity. I guess it doesnt do heat well. Not sure if that is going to effect my use for it.

#9 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

IMR 3031 or IMR 4320. Works good in 308 or 223. Maybe not as good as other specific powder...but than again, maybe better.

I have a lot of 4320...use it in a lot of different stuff.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

You will notice a lot of powders can be used in different calibers .You can always buy 2 powders you will learn a lot as you go. I am still new at it been reloading for a a few years people on here had been reloading for decades listen to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users