21 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

This sucks***! but whilst trying to clean a revolver , I realized I can no longer do it . I have not tried cleaning a longarm yet but they , to me , do not have as many nooks & crannies , let alone trying to hold on to it while cleaning problems a Rev can . My GF cleans her shotgun , hopefully a rifle will not be too hard for her to clean : P

So has anyone ever used a " cleaning " service on a Rev ? how was the job ? what did they charge ? were you happy afterwards ( thats most important )?? Also not looking for an " OCD " cleaning . I am not looking to sell the gun . Just want it clean .

I am in the LA area .

Any / all info is appreciated ,

Andy

#2 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

why cant you clean ? :crazy: if you lived in Riverside, id have u come over i would do it for free, just buy your own patches and oil you want to use.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Most any gunsmith will do a cleaning for you. and a lot of the gunshops will too. Of course you aer going to be paying quite a bit for it.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

The GF should earn her keep,
Put her to work!
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

She earns her keep by putting up with may a** .

I have looked into to the " pros / shops " , some want $40.00 , some want $90.00 for a cleaning . Thats why i was wondering .

Andy

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Is this really a post? Or is it April fools? lol
  • 1shot_1kill likes this
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

When I used to carry every day Id do the usual daily cleaning But once every other year Id take my revolver in for a detailed strip,clean, and tune up. My Semi autos I'm comfortable detail stripping, but a DA revolver is more complex. If you are getting a detailed cleaning for $90 Id say go for it but if they are pulling a brush through the barrel, and wiping the outside down, Id look for someone else. DR

#8 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Is this really a post? Or is it April fools? lol

Real post . Due to carpulltunnel & tennis elbow in both arms , I do not have the ability to " grip / hold " anything for a period of time .

I ended up icing my wrists & elbows for some time last night & still today , have limited use of my left hand due to cramping & muscles spasms .

thats why i am looking for an alternative . Talked with my GF , she says she will give it a shot . no pun intendend .

Andy

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Andy, my post was just in fun.. I didnt really think of the things that most are able to do with minimal effort compared to the problems that you have. Please forgive Me. I only meant it to get a laugh.

Grant
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#10 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

no prob Grant . You didn't know .

I tend to post here because you guys have a LOT of knowledge . Unlike " Calguns " . Imagine all the cr** I'd get if I posted this there ?

it just really sucks that I am 40ish and dang near crippled in my arms / hands .

My GF is willing to try to clean the other guns but I dont think she's going to find it fun scrubbin the heck out of carbon that has built up on the face of the cyl . She loves the smell of the chemicals .

I have read alot of " mixes ( 50/50 hoppes to bore shine , etc) " for cleaning a bore but I have never read one about cyl faces , carbon build up .

It is stainless , so I do not think a " soak " would hurt it , unlike if the finish was blue .

Andy

#11 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

try an ultrasonic cleaning , I have all three of my carry guns done once a year and inspected .

Andy if you find yourself back near Bako I would be happy to help you out . . . . .

#12 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I know some will disagree with me, but I pretty much clean my revolver by spraying down with WD40 letting it soak for a few minutes, then blasting it all out with an air compressor. Works good enough for me. Maybe you can do that with the carpal tunnel.

Every so often, I'll strip it down completely, and do the same WD40 and air compressor. I pretty much clean all my guns/rifles/shotguns/semi-auto's this way and no problems whatsoever.

#13 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

If you lived near me I would do it for free. I know how hand problems are.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#14 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Farming, Trucks, Sprint Car Racing, NASCAR

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I know some will disagree with me, but I pretty much clean my revolver by spraying down with WD40 letting it soak for a few minutes, then blasting it all out with an air compressor. Works good enough for me. Maybe you can do that with the carpal tunnel.

Every so often, I'll strip it down completely, and do the same WD40 and air compressor. I pretty much clean all my guns/rifles/shotguns/semi-auto's this way and no problems whatsoever.

I dont disagree with that. When cleaning my .38 and shotguns I do the same thing. It has always worked out for me

Ill usually finish off by rubbing it down with Lucas gun oil before I put it away.
Hell Ya Im American!

#15 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hey Zippy, don't feel bad about your situation. I'm 30 & am dealing with some disability in my right hand. Long story, but basically I'm in the same boat as you.

Why not ask a friend to help you? I have to sometimes, it's not fun, but I just humble myself and ask when I'm in need.

#16 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have some of the same trouble due to old injuries and RA that I was born with and is getting worse as I get OLD. What I do is spray the gun down, after removing the grips, with brake clean spray and just soak it. Then blow out with compressed air real good and repeat as much as needed. Then shoot some Triflow into the action and set on a folded towel to drain. Then put the grips back on. I work at the cylinder and forcing cone as I can with the lead/carbon removing cloths you can by. I also brush on solvent/kroil oil and let soak and then hit it with a toothbrush or rag.
A Lewis Lead Remover will do a good job on the forcing cone for lead and carbon. Same with the cylinder if there is a build-up by the case mouth.
Just remember you do NOT have to get an*l about making it super clean for it to work and be reliable.

With all my medical problems if I was a horse they would have to shoot me.
Hope you are alittle better off.

Take Care and good luck---Doug

PS I was going topost "is this a joke" also since I sometimes think about doing the same thing. I DO think you should post this at Calguns as we could have a bunch of fun winding up some of them "experts" with the ego problems.

Expert = Ex which means "has been" Spurt (pert)= a drip under pressure

#17 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the responses guys .

Chuckcoaster : I would ask a friend but I don't have any around me . They moved , I moved and the others died . But then again my GF says its because I'm a jackass or depending on the day a jerkoff . But she says it with love .

Dirt gimp , I saw the ultra sonic thing but does it work on lead ? And will it take out the grease / lube that needs to be there ?

Diver hunter : I ask my vet to put me down all the time , he just won't do it . Right now with no ins / booku money , it's not gonna be resolved for a few years . I have not been on line because it hurts when typing . But now I have an iPad and it makes it much easier but I have to limit my typing . Not anal about cleaning but with the lead guns , I clean them every 3-400rds . What sucked was trying to clean it , a jag and patch would not go down the bore . It's a special running real slow . That's what killed me .

I avoid typing anything on calguns just because what you have described . Love reading stuff there , though .

Andy

#18 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Gotcha! You said your girlfriend would try, give that a go.

Other thing I was thinking of is some jigs that would fit in a vise. Like the inserts on a Ransom rest. Maybe you could make some molds?

#19 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

I was looking into a vice to hold the gun , grips off , for cleaning . That way I have both hands free .

Andy

#20 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

I had to relearn how to do certain things, especially shooting and using tools. But, I did it. Like I said before tho, I do have to ask for help sometimes. I think the vise and/or some jigs will be very helpful.

Good luck to ya man!

#21 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Zippy1970

Your GF must be a great one!

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#22 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

we usually charge about 60 to deep clean a gun at the shop and wow sometimes thats not nearly enough for some that come in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users