#1 treffryraxter

treffryraxter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Things that go bang.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

a rough field breakdown gutting skinning and will not break the bank. My 30th birthday is coming up and my wife asked me what I want, the usual answer is normally another gun or an e call camo something of the like. I just realized I dont have a good knife to carry into the field and I thought I would throw it to the hive mind for ideas. We are fairly short on money so this year I told her nothing but I would like to come up with something we could manage, because she seemed rather upset with coming to terms that we couldnt get me something "nice," I think for 40$ or less there should be something out there. hell even a decent locator call would work I guess

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

I have a Kershaw 1665ST PackRat. Great little knife that I carry daily. Just the right size for field dressing and boning out a deer. I bought mine off the Snap-On Truck and if you look around you can find a good price.

http://www.google.co...ved=0CEsQ8wIwAA

#3 treffryraxter

treffryraxter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

that looks pretty nice dave

#4 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

I just pack a case trapper in my pocket, use it for everything lol. Skinning, gutting, cutting my tough steak, casterating calves, and trimming my fingernails among other uses lol. I have several knives that are in my backpack but seldom use them. ED
  • Bennie likes this

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

The knife I've started carrying into the field is the Gerber Gator 154CM. They have it on sale here.

http://www.buy.com/p...ingId=227023806

#6 treffryraxter

treffryraxter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

SJ I actually have 2 of those I guess i could just sharpen it up and call it good on the knife lol

#7 gsummers

gsummers

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, reloading, books, and the outdoors.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

ShootJohn, thats the knife I have in my pack. Gerber Gator since I was 13, never fails me.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Sharpen it and you are good. I have two and they both are kept razor sharp. They just seem to be a good all around knife that fits in my pocket and is a wonderful skinner.

#9 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

I use a Kershaw- Alaska Blade Trader... Its basically a caping, skinning, and saw/ knife switchable blade combo... I started using it for my work, and fell in love with it for its versability, good blade curve, and holds a edge nicely. The saw is nice for splitting pelvis, the curved blade with the gut hook is great for getting a nice straight cut under the hair without cutting fur/hair, and also for scraping meat off the skin, and the stadard straight blade is good for around the antler burs, and normal skinning stuff..

On sale at Cabelas for 34.88 right now... When it first came out couple years back I paid 60.00 for it and even at that price I was very happy with it.. worth every penny.

http://www.cabelas.c...r-knife-1.shtml

#10 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

I have used a Gerber drop point knife for many years. Very happy with it. Bought a newer one and like it also. I now have 4 and all are folding knives. I did buy a Browning at their outlet store in Utah and like it. It is a fixed blade type but no strap to hold it in the sheath so it goes in my backpac or at camp. It is also a drop point design.

#11 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I love my kershaw blades. They are easy to sharpen and then can be found on sale often.

#12 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

About 20 yrs ago, I bought my first Boker knife. I've been a fan ever since. Their blades hold an edge extremely well. Like twice as long as my other knives. They were only in the higher end market until now. Search Ebay for Boker and you'll find some in your budget.

#13 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

I have too much time on my hands so...

If for hunting, you might consider narrowing it down to a fixed blade knife. That's what I carry when hunting, because 1) They are easier to keep clean- just wipe on my pants, no dealing with getting blood and guts out of it, and 2) Easier to deal with 1 handed and when you're done just drop in the sheath. In hot weather, I typically open up my birds within 30 minutes of killing them, and use a stick to pull the guts out, so I like being able to just grab it out the sheath, cut, and put it back in the sheath. But any type of hunting or camping I don't carry a folder. I use a $2 harbor freight metal box cutter and cheap razor blades to make initial incisions on legs of coyotes.

I think a $40 budget is plenty. I've never spent more than $50 on a knife, and that was just because it was a $250 hand made knife and the guy must not have known it. Cold Steel makes some very nice knives in your price range. I have the outdoorsman lite, which is sharp enough to fillet fish with. This is the knife I use around camp, and for fishing. It's stainless. Not really good for skinning because it's too large.

Here are some knives I like:

http://coldsteel.com...RSMAN_LITE.aspx $39
http://coldsteel.com...BELT_KNIFE.aspx $20
http://coldsteel.com...ITE_HUNTER.aspx $24.99
http://coldsteel.com..._STAINLESS.aspx $28.74 (I kind of like this as a bird knife. I'd make a little gut hook out of a coat hanger and bend it around the pinky loop.)

The knife I always have on me is just a regular swiss army knife model called the hiker. Couldn't live without it.

#14 treffryraxter

treffryraxter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

all very good suggestions Thank you guys

#15 Reel1

Reel1

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting (duh) and generally anything outdoor related.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

You know what i love about this site is that there hasn't been a question i've had that hasn't already been addressed.  Thought to myself, hmm, what about a good hunting knife.... and her ya go.  

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

I have always been partial to Buck knives. I've been kinda collecting them for years. got a bunch of them. Can find lots of them , at decent prices, on e-bay. I'll try and get a picture of my collection up before too long. Got to dig them all out and lay them out so I can snap a pic. I carry a pocket knife made by buck. It is a single blade Arkansas toothpick. Great little knife. I also like the guarantee of Buck. Lifetime. If you break a blade or something like that, just send it back and it will be taken care of.

Finally got a crappy pictue taken. As you can see, there are a number of the gut hook types there. The little pearl handled toothpick bottom right, is my normal carry knife.

IMG_0141.jpg

Also, while they aren't th quality of John's, here are a few I made from store bought blades. and the sheath is also store bought. Not fancy, but fun to make nevertheless.

IMG_0139.jpg

#17 b.shadee

b.shadee

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Family, Fishing, Kayaking, Airguns, Electrical Fabrication, Organized Labor, Diesel Trucks, Gardens, Dogs, Electronic Cigarettes, & Poetry

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

I kept reading, thinking Buck would be at the top. @Braz covered it tho. Certainly many woodsman have that typical buck knife.

There's a Japanese knock-off that's quite good also called The Explorer. I wouldn't usually push a knock-off, but Japan does just fine making blades. Just wanted to mention it since it may come down to price and availability. I picked up a used one at the flea market for $25 awhile back. It's been great - locks really well and handles practically like a fixed blade. The wood handle likes to drink up that linseed oil tho.

If you're near a Big 5, you might want to look for a CRKT also. They used to be pricey, but I've seen them at The 5'er on clearance a few times for around 1/3 of list.

#18 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

....If you're near a Big 5, you might want to look for a CRKT also. They used to be pricey, but I've seen them at The 5'er on clearance a few times for around 1/3 of list.

I wouldn't take a CRKT out into the field. The one I have is the absolute worst piece of steel I've ever seen in a knife blade. It's pointy, which is about all it has going for it, so I guess it is suitable to serve as a prizon shank but that's about it. Lol!

#19 b.shadee

b.shadee

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Family, Fishing, Kayaking, Airguns, Electrical Fabrication, Organized Labor, Diesel Trucks, Gardens, Dogs, Electronic Cigarettes, & Poetry

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

You're right @clampdaddy  - the steel isn't that great on the CRKT's. I should qualify my mentioning them; what I meant was they are the better of knives you would pay less than $20 for. Incidentally I have a CRKT fillet knife that I have grown to love. That's just it -  I am lopsided on the fisherman side more than the hunter side. Cutting fish is way different than dressing a large mammal. For fishing the CRKT's are sufficiently good. I have little experience with dressing fowl and mammals and I can see how the CRKT line would fall short. One reason I mentioned them was because some have a nice double lock for the blade, and that's something that sets them apart from other knives in the low-price end. One of the worst things about many of the low-end knives is the unstable and therefor dangerous locking mechanisms. I feel at the very least CRKT has made a 'safer' pocket knife.

#20 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

I wish Busse would start making folders. Their proprietary INFI steel is amazing. I used my Gemini to chop up two Christmas trees into pieces so they'd fit in a garbage can. When all was said and done it would still shave hair like a barbers straight razor.

#21 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

I like Forschner for skinning and deboning in the field. Nice 5" fixed blade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users