25 replies to this topic

#1 Good Ole Boy

Good Ole Boy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Hiya Fellas, I joined a while back and have been lurking, reading a little bit when I get the chance and learning what I can. I'm originally from downstate Illinois, land of the great big white tails, but was probably the only young man in the county who didn't hunt at the time! *laugh* Anyway, now I'm out here in California, saddled with a pretty missuz, and we're wanting to start doing some hunting.This is by no means my only rifle, I have a Mosin M44 I'm turning into a scout type rifle ala www.surplusrifle.com's article on the same, and some other goodies. I'm posting today because the missuz wants to get into Cowboy action shooting, Big 5 had Marlin 1894's on sale for 335 bucks, and since we're college students on a tight budget we're trying to pick up what we can for Cowboy shooting bit by bit, when we come across a good deal. I figured we'd never do better than 335 bucks for a .357 1894. My question is, what can we hunt out here with a .357 lever gun? Is it powerful enough to go pig hunting with? I see you guys talking about all of these long range deer shots out here, so I'm guessing it's not good for CA deer hunting. (this long range deer stuff boggles my eastern mind, I know my buddies get them much closer in the woods back home). One last, possibly dumb question: I know they make 357 shot shells. Is it legal and possible to hunt small birds with a 357 loaded with shot shells? As you can tell I'm pretty new to this. I have very experienced buddies and family back home, one is an outfitter who also trains guides... but like an idiot I moved out here before I talked anybody into showing me the ropes. DOH! I'm looking forward to being on this forum. From the posts I'm seeing, everyone is very polite and helpful, a refreshing change from some parts of the internet these days!Thanks, Scott

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:47 AM

As a kid, I would go back to Minnesota and do deer hunting. Took all of my deer back there with a lever action Marlin .30-30. A long shot was 100 yards on the farm. Now, a 100 yard shot is only by still hunting big game. I am sure ShooterJohn and the others will know much more then I would with using a .357 for pig hunting. The California regs do have requirements for hunting of pigs. You might want to check them out here. That will give you a starting point.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#3 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

Scott,First, welcome to the forum. Just sit back and join in.Opinions vary and mine may not be worth much. The .357 would be a very short range, inadequate round for pigs. There are pigs, and there are HOGS. The HOGS can take a lot of punishment. There are many calibers that would be much more satisfactory. We owe every animal we hunt the consideration of sure, humane kills, and some calibers just do not offer that capability.Shot shells for the .357 are designed as a snake load. A rifled barrel would scatter the shot very quickly, (feet Vs. yards) plus there is not enough shot in the load to make it effective on game birds.Yes, there are some long shots made on deer, but I am pretty sure that the average would probably be less than 100 yards.Good luck, and I am glad to see that your wife is interested in shooting.Rod

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:13 AM

Welcome aboard. I think you will like it here. I have been a member for only a short while and have enjoyed reading and learning from other members posts.Is the Marlin 336 in 30-30 allowed in the Cowboy Action shooting? If so I would think you would be much better off with the 30-30 for deer/pig hunting. Plus it is not an expensive rifle either. Frank

#5 Sully

Sully

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Auto Racing

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

Scott, I also have a 1894 in 357. My oldest son works for big five. It's a fun little rifle and I origionally purchased it for my younger son who is 9, to shoot rabbits or maybe a small hog. I now use it for my walking gun and I shoot ground squirrels, rabbits and have shot a few rattle snakes. 357 is probably too small for pigs, my boys and I shoot alot of pigs mostly in Florida and we use 30 30's.

#6 Good Ole Boy

Good Ole Boy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the info guys :)I was mostly just curious. It would be a fun little rifle to hunt with, if we can hunt something out here with it. When I said pig hunting btw... I'm only interested in taking a small pig, I've got no interest in a trophy boar, I hear the meat of an old boar without his jewels cut off tastes awful. Ideally, I'd like to get a 100 lb sow, or smaller. If I could get one of the cute little striped babies I'd roast him right up. I've got a Mosin-Nagant M44 that I'm turning into a scout rifle ala the article at www.surplusrifle.com, a Marlin 336 .30-30, and a Winchester model 1400 12 gauge. Got my fiancee a No. 4 Mk I Savage Enfield .303 for 50 bucks a while back that had been sporterized... so we're actually in pretty good shape for hunting with all that stuff. It'd just be a real hoot to take a small one with that Marlin 1894! If we do, the other will be packing the Mosin or the Marlin 336 for backup just in case. Next stupid question: We're eventually going to get one of those little cowboy double barrel coach shotguns as well. Anybody know if they're fit to hunt birds with? Thanks fellas!What are the laws out here regarding shooting rattlesnakes? In Southern Illinois, there are rattlesnakes in some of the wooded areas, and the state will fine you out the yingyang if you shoot them. If the missuz and I are out and about and she sees a rattlesnake, he's probably as good as dead, she doesn't like snakes even a little bit.

#7 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

I don't think that one of the coach guns would work for birds very well. Too short on the stock and barrel. Kick like a Missouri Mule. There are plenty of Rem. 870 Express's out there or a Mossberg 500 that would be more practical for birds and reasonably priced.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:21 PM

Welcome to CPC! California needs more hunters, shooters & competitors.I remember reading that we"re allowed one rattler per day. There's no season. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:39 PM

From California Fishing Regulations: Section 560.Reptiles.Daily bag and possession limit two per day. Can be taken anytime of day or night. Rattlesnakes can be taken by any method. No sportfishing license required for the sport taking of rattlesnake.

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:13 AM

Rattlesnake story I heard from a friend that worked on the Berryessa dam construction. During the construction and clearing of the brush/timber from the area that the project would flood the workers found a lot of rattlesnake dens. The accepted practice on the job was to get a can of gas and dump in the den and light it off. One day a team of blasters happened by as a den was discovered. The blasters were noted for their competence and their drinking. So the story goes that they allowed as how there was no need to go find a heavy can of gas and lug it back, they had the cure for these rattlers! So while the blasters were preparing a charge for this small job an audience gathered. Everyone was asked to stand back, the fuse was lit, the dynamite was thrown in the hole. When the generous charge exploded, snakes were shot out of the den like it was a cannon. Rattlesnakes were falling from the sky like an Oklahoma hailstorm! Dam workers were running for cover but, there wasn't any! Well the story goes that the blast killed the snakes and there were no snake bite victims. Maybe a few had to change their drawers. :rolleyes: :) Sounds like they may have exceeded today's limits.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#11 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:54 AM

Cowboy double barrel coach shotguns as well. Scott welcomeAs for the shotgun look at the Norinco 1897 http://www.marstar.c...o/index-sg.shtmhttp://www.wincheste.../1897shot.shtmlIt's a pump 12 ga and very popular in SASS I have a original Winchester take down version that I use a lot of shooters also get them worked to use choke tubes so you could play Cowboy then go shoot some Dove, Pheasant etcHappy Shooting! :rolleyes:

#12 Good Ole Boy

Good Ole Boy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

I don't know about dealing with Norinco... I do my best to avoid chinese goods when and where possible, and mistrust them and their products. Remington has the Spartan line of doubles, made in Russia, and some models have screw in choke tubes. I might investigate that route. This gun would never be used for turkey or goose, btw... just quail and maybe occasionally pheasant, as well as some cowboy shooting. Scott

#13 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:12 PM

I have 2 of the remington imports from before they were selling under the remington and they have screw in tubes. I love them.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

I think a short barreled double would make a great upland flushing gun as long as it has a saftey that would allow you to carry it with the hammers cocked. As far as your 357 levergun goes, I'd throw a scout scope set-up on it as well. I alwys thought that a set-up like that loaded with 125gr hollowpoints would make a great coyote calling rig. With heavier bullets I wouldn't hesitate to smack a small to medium sized pig or deer with it as long as you don't try to shoot much past 100yds. The extra barrel length of a rifle really helps the 357s ballistics.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

I agree with the clamper.. :blink: I would keep the range in the 150 yards or so my Friend has a lever action 357 it's fun to shoot.a17shooter funny story I could imagine falling snakes and fangs.

#16 Guest_azzurripirlo_*

Guest_azzurripirlo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

Good Ole Boy,I am in the same boat as you. I own the 1894 .357 and this weekend I'm bringing it pig hunting. I am yet to take a shot at at a hog with it, but hopefully I will get the chance to saturday. If its large I'll let my partner take it with his 300 win mag. Otherwise I would like to see how it does on something like you mentioned 50-100lbs. Anyway I'm loading up the levergun with 180gr. Check out the ballistics on these. Here is the link http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#357 There is actually results from our gun (the 1894) not just pistols. Unfortunately he didn't list the energy when fired from the 1894, only fps. Anyway, I pray that I will be able to let you know how it performs. But like I mentioned, check out the link. These are the hardest hitting factory rounds that I have found.Gian

#17 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:20 AM

The only time I ever have been pig hunting was on a vineyard by Monterey CA. My Dad had the 30-06 w/180gr soft points and his friend had a 30-30. We shot 5 hogs in 2 days 4 with the 30-06 and one with 4 rounds from the 30-30 and one from the 30-06. That 30-30 just didn't have the oompf at 100yards+ to break shoulders on the big boars. Those were some big boars though I don't see many of them posted these days, mostly just feral species.Buy the 357 for a fun gun/light pack gun and then get a decent bolt action for hunting.Long shots however are all subjective. I shot my deer this year at 12 or so yards. Growing up on the NV side I'm used to shots being 100-350yards with about a 200yd average. This woodland hunting was new and rather hard for me, I'm just glad I bought a 250Savage for this and left the 300WBY at home or I wouldn't have had any of that blacktail left.

#18 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:10 PM

You got 2 deer guns allready the 303 and moisin negaant or what ever thay call them can handle Ca. black tails . scope them up and go. Get the 357 lever and have fun. I think it would take a small to med. pig up close 5o yards ar alittle farthere. .. The 357 will kill a Ca. deer at 50 yards or so. But you might get a chance at one 250 yards out with a Xmass tree on his head and that 357 not going to do it. Just my 2Cents...That would make a good calling gun. for the ones that run over you or try setting in your lab. Or like the 2 Tim had this month come in run around him and take off. You just cant find a dog in a scope up that close its all fur.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#19 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Lucky is the man who can find himself a lady who likes to shoot along side her man. I, too own a .357 but in revolver. Like you I am also new to hunting but I'm told the only thing on four legs a .357 can handle are squirrels,rabbits, raccoons and oppossums. If your out on a night hike then it would be good to have a .357 w/you as there are mountain lions in California but only come out at dusk and dawn. When it comes to pig and deer I would quess (in hand gun) a .44 on up. If your going to be using a rifle then you got more options. Hope this helps. Oh, and by the way believe it or not rattlesnakes do more good alive than dead as they help keep the rodent population down so unless you happen to find one near your house/apts. it's best to walk around or using a stick slide it under the middle of the snake,slowly straighten the body out ,grab the tail and lift up. This way the snake will be to busy trying to balance it self to try to bite. Then just move it off the trail. If it's nr. your home call dept. of Wildlife. I'm sure they can direct you to someone who can help you out.

#20 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

Couple of quick comments based on my opinion and experience. First, anyone who thinks lions are only out from dusk to dawn, and not out during the day, just hasn't spent any time outdoors. Believe me, they can show up at all hours of the day.If you don't want to kill a rattlesnake, that's fine. Moving it out of the way by grabbing it's tail is just plain not a good idea. Sure you may be able to do it if your are real experienced at this, but to suggest that someone who has never handled a snake grab it by the tail is just asking someone to get bitten. Bad idea. If you don't want to kill it, walk around it, move it with a stick, or go the other way, but never, ever try and pick one up.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#21 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

I for one truly believe that this is what the .357 levergun excels at. There's nothing like chasing rabbits through the sage with a tried and true brush gun. Posted Image

#22 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:14 AM

My buddy has a nice little piece of land behind Mt Hamilton in the San Antonio Valley. He's taken several pigs with his .357 lever gun. Nothing huge, around 100lb class. If you want to hunt with the .357 and are out of the condor zone I recommend the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I shot cowboy for a while with the Faultline Shooters in Gonzalez...LOTS OF FUN! and great practical training with open sight shooting. You can use the Marlin 336 if you're in the modern class. I'd say go 357 if you want to shoot cowboy so you've got some versatility. You'll have to find 357 cowboy loads with no jackets. If you go 30-30 you'll be limited to the long range matches.
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#23 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:25 PM

Couple of quick comments based on my opinion and experience. First, anyone who thinks lions are only out from dusk to dawn, and not out during the day, just hasn't spent any time outdoors. Believe me, they can show up at all hours of the day.If you don't want to kill a rattlesnake, that's fine. Moving it out of the way by grabbing it's tail is just plain not a good idea. Sure you may be able to do it if your are real experienced at this, but to suggest that someone who has never handled a snake grab it by the tail is just asking someone to get bitten. Bad idea. If you don't want to kill it, walk around it, move it with a stick, or go the other way, but never, ever try and pick one up.

Not like the late steve Irwin huh? But then he grew up around reptiles and as about as close to professional as you can get.

#24 Robairto

Robairto

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

How did this thread come back from the dead?

#25 Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

This is a great information article. The 357 was at one time touted as the most powerful handgun in the world and was used on darn near everything. I thought this was a great article for the 357 guys.http://www.leverguns...r/357magnum.htm
" When you have to shoot, "shoot", don't talk " [Tuco-The good, The bad and The Ugly]

#26 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

a friend hog hunted with me for several years with one. He killed about a hundred hogs with it. Very capable cartridge,killed many big boars with it. Course I had the dog training rifle, 22 magnum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users