17 replies to this topic

#1 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

I am looking for my next rifle purchase. This will be my last one I am sure just really cant afford to buy a lot these days.I have narrowed down my selection to 3 rifles.

Henry H010 45-70

Marlin 1895 45-70

Marlin 336w 30-30 not really wanting the 30-30 to much but still lookin at it.

So does anyone have any experience with the henry or the marlin 1895 and 336w???

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#2 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have a marlin 336 RC. not sure of the differences. But I love it! My dad left it for me when he died and I was 15.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

I really like the Marlins with the Stainless and Gray wood

If money wasn't an issue I would go with a Wild West Guns .457 Magnum
Hic Ego Statio

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

1895C (Cowboy model with 26" octagon barrel) in 45-70. It is not only one o the more beautiful rifles we have, but that long lever throw is exceptionally smooth. It is hard to go wrong with a 45-70 since you can load it heavy for Wooly Mammoth or use pistol powders and load it as light as a .38spcl. for rabbits. Tremendously versatile. I tend to favor the Marlins because of their simple action and the fact that are tough as nails, but you really have to go over the new ones before you buy it. Since Remington took over their QC has turned to :horse apples: and every once in a while one slips by that makes you scratch your head.

#5 86mcss

86mcss

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:archery, precision target shooting, hunting, fishing...everything outdoors

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

This is no help to your post but I want a 1894 Marlin in 45 Colt and then I want to have it converted to 45 acp. :D (Have a couple 45 acp hand guns)

#6 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

I really like Henrys but they are so dang expensive and I feel the Marlin 1895 is a much nicer looking gun.
I like that octagon barrel always have like that. Find myself leaning towards the Marlin a lot.
Bisley that is exactly why I am wanting the 45-70 I will be able to use it for deer pig bear and my neighbors stupid pitbulls if they dont shut up lol. Been trying to decide on a caliber for a while and really decided the 45-70 is what I am looking for just because of how versatile it is.
I was at bass pro yesterday picking up some fly tying goodies and decided to take a look at the 1895 sheesh forget it take a number wait and so dang crowded upstairs it wasnt funny. Guess I shall go to Barnwood arms and talk to my ole buddy Joe and take a gander.

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

You would be making a good choice. The .30-30 is a good round, but you can not load it up to .45-70 specs, but you can surely load the .45-70 down to the .30-30 specs, or even lower. I can not say anything (good or bad) about the Henry's having never even held one. I can tell you though that the Marlins have a very solid and tight feel to them. The Winchesters are not bad guns, but just feel sloppy when compared to the Marlins.

Something else to consider is the Marlin Guide Gun, the real short model. While you will have to pry the Cowboy Model from my dead fingers, the 26" octagon barrel do not make it a very practical gun. Plus it is almost too pretty to take out..........almost ;) . This is where the Guide Gun would come in extremely handy.

#8 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

I love my Browning 1886 there is also a current Winchester and I can’t imagine a current made 1886 that would not be smoother than any Marlin out of the box I love my Marlins but they all need work out of the box
Now the Marlin will be able to shoot hotter loads and mount a better choice of sights than mine but I can’t picture a bipod or a holographic sight on a lever gun
But I also love my 71 Winchester
Does the Marlin come with Micro grooving or regular rifling as the micro didn't in the past work well with cast bullets and cast are easy to make and shoot in the 45-70 2400 works very well as RL7 with a 300 jacketed 32 in barrel Smokin! the rear sight would not go low enough for 100 yards shot over the target
My :two-cents:

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

Does the Marlin come with Micro grooving or regular rifling as the micro didn't in the past work well with cast bullets and cast are easy to make and shoot in the 45-70

Soooo tired of hearing that fictitious rumor. Why do the 39a"s with the micro-groove shoot lead so well? Same principle, same metal, same physics. :closedeyes:
Never said the Winnies weren't smooth, they should be as loose/sloppy as they are compared to the Marlins :P . And the mechanics are so much simpler, making it way quicker and easier to clean. You can undo the one screw in the lever on a Marlin and pull the lever, follower, and bolt all out to clean. It's just their QC that has been lacking for a while :504:

#10 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

I am waiting for a semi-auto 45/70 able to handle hot loads

#11 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Not Fictitious Do you cast Bisley?
Go to this link and have a read http://www.leverguns...ove-barrels.htm
Note it states appropriate size for the barrel Over size so people using standard sized cast bullets under performed they had to slug there gun and get over sized bullet
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 1973 data for 45-70 page 130 Bullet Diameter Cast 456 Gun used Marlin 1895
So sizing makes a difference but as you see dropped from the mold its 456 how was the person to make it oversize?
So what mold do you cast from and what size does it drop?
Cowboy rules state no gas check will be used

Microgroove barrels early on earned a reputation for not shooting cast bullets well. In fact, when loaded with bullets that are the appropriate size for the barrel (and cast to a suitable hardness and wearing a GC), these guns are capable of fine accuracy with cast bullets. Some of my favorite cast bullet rifles wear Microgroove barrels.
The historical data used in this article was taken in large part from William S. Brophy's book "Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them". For more information on Marlin firearms, this extraordinary book is highly recommended.

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Sorry guys, I'm a huge Henry Fan. While I don't hav any of the big bores, I hve been around a lot of them shooting silhouette and they all perform great. And you talk smooth, you'll trash can any of the others after handling a henry. And the lifetime guarantee is for real. Even if they rarely need it. My money is going for he Henry, 100% american made too.

Here's an interesting posting on the Marlin forum.

http://www.thetrutha...ing-arms-45-70/
  • Mutt likes this
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:17 AM

Sorry guys, I'm a huge Henry Fan. While I don't hav any of the big bores, I hve been around a lot of them shooting silhouette and they all perform great. And you talk smooth, you'll trash can any of the others after handling a henry. And the lifetime guarantee is for real. Even if they rarely need it. My money is going for he Henry, 100% american made too.

Here's an interesting posting on the Marlin forum.

http://www.thetrutha...ing-arms-45-70/

I love my henry .22 they are sweet that is one reason why the henry 45-70 is in the fold.

I can’t picture a bipod or a holographic sight on a lever gun

I dont use holographic sights or bipods infact I dont use them on any gun. Not my thing.

#14 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I started using bipods, I can honestly say that I've grown accustomed to it, but I can still effectively function without it.

Same with scopes, my dad said, if you can hit anything with iron sights, then feel free to get a scope. But if that scope breaks and you cant use iron sights what are you gonna do?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#15 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

A regular scope is fine and look just fine on a lever action.
Bipods just never have needed one. I dont laydown I dont shoot off of anything for my needs and me just aint needed.
I may put a 3x9x40mm scope on it just all depends but if I do I will use see through mounts so if I need iron sights I have access to them fast.

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Sorry Braz, but the lack of loading gate (loaded from the tube like a rimfire) is a deal breaker or me. Not on a .45-70, uh-uh.

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sorry Braz, but the lack of loading gate (loaded from the tube like a rimfire) is a deal breaker or me. Not on a .45-70, uh-uh.

I agree. Even though I'd actually prefer being able to load and unload through the tube 95% of the time, I'd want a side gate on a big bore lever gun. I think it was Elmer Keith that said the big bore lever action was the best gun for the great bears of Alaska because it is fast shouting and it is also the only gun where the magazine can be topped off without temporarily disabling the weapon by opening the action or dropping a magazine box. I will probably never hunt in an area where I need to worry about that but it has always stuck in my mind.

For a while Puma made a .454 lever gun that had both loading features. That would sure be nice. I sure wish someone would come out with an affordable lever carbine in .500 S&W.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#18 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

While I think the Marlin is a great gun, I'd have to go with a Win 1886 over the Marlin just for the nostalgia. An '86 is a fine gun that stirs the blood in me. Another Winchester lever that gets me going is the '95.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users