5 replies to this topic

#1 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Well I finally bit the pellet, so to speak, and bought an Mrod in a 22 cal. I am trying to mount the telescope so that the reticle lines up with the bore. When I sight down the barrel at a given laser cross hair after I made sure the rifle is level I then look through the scope and the reticle is centered left and above the center of the laser crosshairs, at approximately 10 o'clock. The scopes elevation and windage adjustments are centered. Does anybody have any idea as to what can be done to the rings to move the reticle center down and to the right without adjusting the elevation and windage controls? I know I have to make a small adjustments but when I try and adjust the reticle I am at the limits and still not centered.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

What scope and rings/mount are you using? What laser sighting tool are you using? Can you put a picture up?

I'm an airgunholic

#3 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hi Brant,
I am going to have to work on a picture, I'll try and get that out later. The scope is a Hawke Eclipse 30 SF 4-16x50 The rings are a Mac1 one drooper set that he states on his website as 30MM HTRD-30 High Tie-Rod Drooper but there is no tie rod on this two piece set. The laser tool is a
Bosch GLL2-40 Self-Level Cross Line Laser. What I do is set the laser crosshairs on a wall. The device is self leveling. I put the airrifle on a rest and make sure it is level with a buble. I then mount the scope and get its horizontal line parallel to the laser level. Since I cannot sight through the barrel I site along side the barrel to make it as close to the center of the laser crosshairs as possible. I then look through the scope and see where the crosshairs are positioned. In this case the rifle is looking as close as I can get it at the center of the laser crosshairs and the scope reticle is looking approximately four mildots high and four mildots to the left of the laser crosshairs. If I try and adjust the windage I run out of adjustments before I can get it aligned. If you consider a four partition quadrant system like the xy axis in an algebra math class, quadrant one would be upper right, quadrant two would be upper left, quadrant three would be lower left and quadrant four would be lower right. The scope reticle is positioned in quadrant two.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Rimfire,

I suspect the laser sighting down the side of the barrel isn't precise enough to work. I recommend using the 1 shot sight-in method w/o the laser. Start at maybe ten yards or minimum focus range. Recenter the scope reticle and fire at a target once. Adjust the cross-hairs on to the hole w/o moving the gun. Try again. Do you still run out of adjustment?

Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#5 rimfire

rimfire

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Brant

I used this method on my rimfire rifles to get the cross hairs as close to the center as possible. It worked well enough to continue using that method. That said I will give your suggestion a try. It does sound like a practical technique. I also tried reversing the scope rings and turning them around etc. but the results were the same. Thanks.
Rimfire

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

If the technique works for you then I would wonder if maybe the scope is the problem (new?). I doubt the MRod is out is out of alignment but it is possible although you can probably see it sighting down the barrel/shroud. I doubt it is clipping the baffles. Is the barrel centered in the barrel band? (same gap all the way around)

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users