#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

I've shot the 6.5x55 but not the 6.5x284. I'm looking for a 500-1000 yard paper puncher to have fun with. I'm wonder about the 6.5x284. I know its a wildcat round, but it also seems to be hard to find a rifle in that caliber. I'm assuming it needs to be a custom job? I'm on the fence now as far as what caliber. I've just heard that the 6.5x284 as being a great caliber with some high BC bullets and is popular among the 1000 rifle competitions. So I was wondering what it would cost for an entry level 1k yard gun? What do they run about? And are they only custom guns?

If its too much I'll have to put it on the wish list and opt for a 300 win mag, 300 wsm or 308 maybe. I'm not sure. I was thinking of just sticking with the rem 700 sps v in 308 but because of the twist (1:12) its gonna be for lighter bullets. I want something that will work with the heavier bullets but with a heavy barrel so I can push them out farther with less wind issues (per say). Any ideas? Give me your opinions guys? I want it to be a fun rifle for now, a few years down the road I wouldnt mind trying my luck (or lack there of) in some 1000 yard competitions.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

It's a standard factory round now, loaded by Hornady, Norma, CorBond, Nosler, etc. and chambered in the Savage, Cooper, High Precision, etc. rifles.

I've been shooting a custom built rifle in 6.5x284 for about 6 years now (its second barrel is just about shot out and I have another barrel blank ready to be mounted). I continue to chamber the barrels in 6.5x284 because the round works so well. I shoot the 142 grain SMK's at about 2850 fps that takes about 28 minutes of drop at 1,000 yards and half the windage of the 308 shooters. I use about 8" to 8.5" twist barrels to stabilize the longer bullets and my load is relatively light to extend barrel life.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I want one. How much do these rifles run about? Or they factory made or custom made by gunsmiths only?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

.260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor are good ones to look into. .243 Winchester is a pretty good 1000yd rounds as well.
What is your budget for a Rifle and Optics?
Hic Ego Statio

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Savage make a 6.5X284 rifle called the F-Class rifle that has had good reviews right out of the box. Maybe it could be a good choice? For that long range "I" would use something like a Nightforce NXS or Leupold MKIV I think. Have 2 Nightforce scopes on my 50's and a friend has one on his Rem sniper type rifle and we like them very much

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Check "Gallery of Guns" website, they have Savage long range and predator hunter series of rifles in 6.5x284 for about $900
Frank
Posted Image

#7 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Money isnt too much of a problem. I dont need it right this second. I can save up if need be. I just havent seen this rifle around. But I havent looked for it either to tell you the truth. I just found out about it the past couple days. Id say 1200 for the rifle. I dont mind paying around 500-600 for the scope. Maybe a little more if need be. I want a mil dot scope though and I'm assuming 1inch tube not 30mm correct? I want a heavy barrel but a 1-8.5 twist maybe.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#8 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Fjold what barrel life are you getting with that load, its about the same as my 260 with 26" barrel, 2800 fps 139gr scenars.

Kephers, figure on $3 k budget for a long range rig with optics, to start. I'm into it for about twice that, and could have spent more
On my optics...

We have a great range here called sacramento valley shooting center, check it out online. 500 M, steel range and 1k long range, very nice!

Do you hand load or buy your ammo? That can make a difference in a recommendation.

#9 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

This second barrel (Krieger) has 2,250 of the 2850 fps load through it, plus 100 rounds of 100 grain Nosler BTs at 3,400 fps, and about 40 rounds of Barnes 120 grain TSX at 3,000 fps. It still shoots sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards but I saw a couple of fliers at the 1,000 yard line during my last match.

I only got about 1,000 rounds on my first Krieger barrel trying to get 3,000 fps.

I have a new Bartlein gain twist (9.25" - 8") barrel ready to chamber and install so when this second Krieger barrel goes, it gets installed.
Frank
Posted Image

#10 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Fjold what barrel life are you getting with that load, its about the same as my 260 with 26" barrel, 2800 fps 139gr scenars.

Kephers, figure on $3 k budget for a long range rig with optics, to start. I'm into it for about twice that, and could have spent more
On my optics...

We have a great range here called sacramento valley shooting center, check it out online. 500 M, steel range and 1k long range, very nice!

Do you hand load or buy your ammo? That can make a difference in a recommendation.

Yes I reload everything. I'm not a factory ammo kind of guy. Except for the AR15 when I want to just burn rounds and of course the 22 LR and 22 Mag. Everything else I reload.

To be honest I reload for my rem 700 sps v in 223, AR15 (wifes) and my 25-06 and my friends rem 700 sps v in 308. Only thing I need to make my process a little better and quicker is a multi stage press instead of my single stage, and the auto powder thrower/scale. The name for the scale escapes me at this point. Its still early and Im at work after a long day at work last night.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#11 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Well this may end up being my future project custom rifle type thing. For later on when funds arent soo much an issue.

Either 308, 7mm mag, 300 mag. I also seen a local gun shop has a sale on savage 111 LRH in 338 lapua. :P Either way I'm getting it this friday. Also getting an AR15 lower ordered. As my wife has one and I dont.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Get the 308 If you are in a tight budget. It is a versatile round and cheap to reload.

6.5-284 is very expensive to shoot. Just check the price of brass. It is also a poor choice for competition cartridge unless you don't mind replacing your barrel every 1500 rounds or sooner. With that said however, I can honestly say that it is an excellent cartridge for long range hunting. I own one and love it.

This Texas whitetail can attest to that. The 140 grain Berger Hunting VLD dispatched the deer with authority a distance of 603 yards.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#13 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Yeah I was hoping that. What about the 338 lapua :P Found one on sale for 1030 here in california. :P

One day lol
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#14 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Yeah I was hoping that. What about the 338 lapua :P Found one on sale for 1030 here in california. :P

One day lol

Twice as expensive to shoot but you can't wiped the smile off your face every time you pull the trigger.

Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#15 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Yep, the 6.5x284 is not for the beginner reloader but once you get dialed in, it's hard to give up.

Here's my longest distance coyote taken with the 142 grain SMK at 732 yards
Posted Image

The 338 Lapua is a $5 bill every time you touch the trigger but you can get the cost down to about $3 a shot if you reload and buy in bulk. I just don't like all the noise and recoil.
Frank
Posted Image

#16 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

This is true. Right now I have about 650 dollars coming and another 550 coming in a couple days of spending money. I dont know what I want to do. I want to buy everything but dont have the money for what I want :/ might have to just save slowly. I do have other obligations first. Miss the days when I had no real responsibility (kids and stuff) but I wouldnt change it for the world. I just miss being able to buy anything without a second thought.

I may just pick up a new scope or the charge master pro and some reloading supplies. I'll still have some stuff left over to spend, I need a bipod and the wife needs a new trigger mech in her AR15, scope and butt stock. I dont like the stock she has. But seeing as we have 3 kids and work opposite shifts she hasnt been able to shoot it yet :/ had it for 2 years now and she hasnt touched off 1 round. Finding a baby sitter for 3 kids is rough even for a couple hours. We dont have family members that are able and cant afford baby sitters on a regular basis. No clue what I want to do.

Wife says I need a hobby, so I'm going with guns, albeit expensive and I've had many hobbies nothing gets me like guns/shooting/hunting. But I rarely get the chance to do any. Kinda stuck. Has me feeling down right now. Dont want to be a downer but I'm in the mood to pop off some rounds to blow some steam. Nothing relaxes me and clears my head than dealing with guns and shooting. When I get the chance I do it as often as I can. It just isnt often enough. With another baby due on christmas (will be our 4th kid) its even tougher. I have a 3 year old, 2 year old and 1 year old now. I am blessed with a big happy family but money is always an issue.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users