• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Ordered all the parts this morning to build myself a 204 upper for my AR. Yeah, I know, I could've just bought one cheaper, but wanted to try my hand at making my own upper as I've already built a couple lowers.

Here's the parts list:

Spikes flat top upper
BCM medium charging handle
Les Baer BCG
SHILEN match grade barrel with bolt it's headspaced to
JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring
JP Enterprises Modular handguard
Midwest Industries low pro gas block
Nikon offset rings
Burris Fullfield II 6.5-10X50 scope

I OF COURSE ordered everything 2-3 day shipping so the parts should be here Saturday or Monday. I should have it all together next week! I'm sooooo pumped about this. I love my 223 upper, BUT, there has just been something in the back of my mind that's been telling me that zapping squirrels with a bullet going 4,000fps+ is gonna be even more fun.

I'll post pics of the build as I progress.

*6.5-20* Damn phone!

#2 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Everything should be here by Tuesday!!!!

#3 NaCladdict

NaCladdict

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Can't wait to see how it comes out, especially if you can get video of a ground rat getting zapped! I still have a lower that I'm trying to decide what to build on it. Kind of waiting to see which hi-power larger cal. bullets gain popularity. I'm wishing a .270 short mag would fit the mag well, that would be one sweet gun.

#4 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I'll see what I can do. I think this is gonna be a nail driver!

Have you looked at the 6.5 Grendel? I had considered building or buying an upper in that caliber but since I already have a nice .243 I nixed the idea and went for the 204.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

.204 was a dream caliber for one of my AR's, but built two completely different ones in .223 instead. I've got a third built lower, but can't decide on the upper. I'm debating on making it a super simple (carry handle, trash hand guards, basic as all hell) AR that can be tossed around and abused, or making something like .204, or 6.5 Grendel. I certainly don't need another varmint gun though.

#6 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Well I did... :P Hahaha

I keep checking the tracking numbers, praying the pilots and drivers like to speed... But alas Monday and Tuesday are the delivery dates. I had to order from JP Rifles, Brownells, and Midway to get everything I wanted.

I wish I could time travel, the wait is KILLING ME!!! I know it's gonna be worth it tho. Can anyone tell I'm excited?

Welp, the UPS truck showed! I'm test fitting the parts I have, barrel won't be here til tomorrow. It's lookin' suhweet so far! I'm undecided on the paint scheme, thinking two tone green and black, but I might do a faux tiger stripe, we'll just have to see. I'm already loving the JP silent spring, it's SUPER QUIET!

Other side!

Barrel came today as promised, all the parts are here. I'll have her together in a couple hours. Range day tomorrow!

Barrel, nut, and gas block'n'tube are on. Taking my time as this is the first upper I've built. Just have to mount the handguard and scope. Taking the time now to paint it.

AND SHE IS DONE! Not hard to do AT ALL!!! I think if I do this again I'll be able to cut the time WAY DOWN, I know it's no rush, but I like to do things quickly. Anyhoodle, I should be able to sight and break in the barrel tomorrow or the day after. WOOHOO!!! I'm super excited. Enjoy ya'll.
Attached File  2012-10-30 21.12.34-1.jpg   21.16KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

#7 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Here she is, HAD to do some camo! The two tone wasn't working for me.

Attached Files

#8 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Haven't gone to shoot yet, weather was bad these past couple days, and I didn't feel good to boot.. :(

#9 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Never a bad time to go shooting.

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

What Twist on the ,204?

#11 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

1:9

#12 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

She's a keeper! I drank too much caffeine today, so I'm not going to embarrass myself by posting any group pics... I'm too shaky! :D Anyhoodle, it hits right to the crosshairs and is fun to watch the impact. I filled a soda can with water and shot it, I cannot wait to see them squirrels do flips!!! I'm a real happy camper!!! The JP Silent Spring is awesome too, no more buffer spring noise. I am very pleased with the results!!!!

Attached Files

#13 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Welp, she's been christianed! 115 yards, wrecked em?? Freaking blew him in half!!!

Attached Files

#14 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Nice ! Glad shes a performer!

I just got access to a ranch in Oakdale, its my wifes coworkers ranch. Apparently hes being over run with squirrels he said I can go out there anytime. I just want to get my license and a letter from him allowing me on the property, with my rifles, to shoot. Just to make sure I'm good to go and have no real issues. He has cows, i just want to go there and scope the place out, find a good hide/bench rest area, see how far the property lines go, where the houses are and whats beyond. Just kind of get a feel for the area so I can choose my rifle accordingly. I'm probably going to be heading out there this coming mon/tues.

Waiting for my RCBS Chargemaster Combo in the mail. Its currently in San Pablo, CA. So I can speed up the loading process and pump out some more rounds.

#15 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Take a 22 & a 223, that should about cover things. Shoot me a call or PM if you need "back up" ;)

#16 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'm hoping this ranch is big enough to even use the 223. Would be awesome if it was. I'm gonna check for sure. I'll probably go alone the first time or two, if hes ok with it, I'll bring another. Dont want to completely irradicate the squirrel population :P just control them. I like having something to shoot when I want to. Just keep the numbers low and let them keep coming back for more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users