• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

After handling my buddy's Springfield TRP (is that the one with the rail and cool doodads?) I decided I wanted the same grips on my 1911! I have a Custom II,, not the fanciest but I love it. Went into the local shop to check out a .357 Mag Vaquero I'm gonna buy and as luck would have it they had a good selection of VZ grips in several colors. I got the Black Cherry ones and some new screws. I REALLY dig the grips, VERY aggressive pattern.

Anyhoodle, here's a pic for ya'll. I've always liked the look of dark wood geips, and think they look KILLER on my gun.

Attached Files

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

It might look really good, but I can't tell since my eyes can't keep from staring at what looks like an ugly rubber plug shoved up its :eck05:
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: What's that all about???

#3 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

LOL It's a 10 round mag, so I got 11 rounds of 45 waiting in case anyone decides they need to visit the morgue...

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

The biggest problem is that it isn't a revolver. I think that is where Bisley is coming from. The grips do look nice, but jut think how nice dark cocobolo would look on a beauttiful 45acp revolver. At least 100% better.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: I don't "despise" autos Braz, but yes, I am a revolver man. I just don't understand a few things. The Kimber is a beautiful gun, especially with the new grips, but a nice looking and easy handling gun (I know because my partner has the same gun on his CCW) and now made it bulky and cumbersome, not to mention uglier than me, with the extension. Heck, you may as well have bought a (ugly) plastic gun with a stacked magazine now. But what I really love is the need for more than 7 or 8 rounds of .45. But in his defense, most auto owners seem to for some odd reason? I've never felt the need for more than 6 rounds in my .44 revolver :rofl2: But my ugly, plain, and generic rubber Hogue grips sure aren't as pretty as that nice dark wood on there :504:

And isn't it about time for you to buy another pistol Braz? It's been at least a week or two hasn't it :lol: :smiley_green_with_envy:

#6 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

You guys are cracking me up! I'm gonna pick up a chrome plated Ruger Vaquero probably next month. Figured it'd be a great camping gun. The one I'm getting will be in 357, though I only plan on shooting 38s in it. For some weird reason semiautos won't feed snake shot... ;)

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

Yep, that is a pretty gun with out the extended mag, which I agree is usless. If a guy can shoot shright, there just isn't a need for a ot of round shooting a 44 or45 or 38 for that matter.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

I agree whole heartedly! I'm a pretty decent shot, BUT, I just feel a little safer... If you know what I mean.

I saw a really funny picture that said: "I shoot a 45 cuz they don't make a 46."

Got a good chuckle from that! :D

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

If you lose the .45acp and upgrade to a real caliber like a .44 you can shoot through the first guy and into the second one with one shot, that way you can still hit 12, but only need 6 rounds :smiley-outta-here:

On a more serious note, a Vaquero in .357 is also an excellent choice. How does your Kimber shoot? My buddy won't part with his now ;)

#10 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

They'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers! 8,000 hard rounds, I run it pretty fast and get it hot, but she'll stack bullets as long as I do my part. I have the entry level model (Custom II)) & have 5 malfunctions.... I'd say she's a keeper. The slide to frame was tight when I got her, there is now the tiniest bit of rattle. Don't know if anyone else would notice though. I did change the recoil and main spring at 5,000 rounds, I think 10,000 is recommended? IDK, I figure better safe than sorry!

I've handled and heard of other Kimbers not being as nice. Guess I got a good one. It has a trigger pull of 3lbs, maybe too light for some, but I like it a lot! By the way, I use Wolff springs and ditched the full length guide rod. I like 'em old skool and simple. I stupidly sold this gun and bought a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander. Great gun by the way! But I shot the $800 gun better than the $2,400 one... That was a hard way to learn to stick with what works! I am in NO WAY bashing the Wesson, it was an AMAZING firearm, no bull, it's just that a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing fits my hand. I was lucky in that I bought it back from the Guy I sold it to!!! :)

Soooooo, long answer short: "How do you like your Kimber?" Cocked, locked, and ready to RAWK!! \m/

And by the way, no offense taken on my part! I'm really not much of a revolver guy... I do really like the Colt Navy (bought pops a Uberti in 38 spl, WAY COOL!!!), & the Colt Peacemaker. I shoot my Dad's S&W from time to time, but don't even know what model or frame it is.... I do know it's a 357 with a 4" barrel.

I'm really digging on this Vaquero as it's sort of like a Peacemaker, and I LOVE that it's chrome! It'll just need pearl handles to be "right". It belonged to my friend's late husband, so once all the paperwork and transfer are in order I'm going to buy it from her. That way I get a cool gun, and it basically stays in the family. She's damn near my aunt, and I have second crack at the guns after the son decides which ones he wants.

Then it's just getting a matching Uberti (except I'll get the round barrel) like pops'.

I've shot just about every handgun out there and at the end of the day I'm a dyed in the wool 1911 fan. I love shooting all types of guns but my faves are 1911s, bolt rifles, pump shotguns,.and either 10/22s or the Browning ATD take down 22. I have a Norinco copy that I've shot since I was.9, won it at a DU dinner. I can't even begin to fathom the number of squirrels I've shot with that thing, oh, I forgot to mention Ruger MKII pistols... I'll never part with mine.

#11 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Here's the Kimber and "Mini Me", my Sig P238. I'm taking breaks between rifle groups and shooting my 1911s so I can break things up.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users