Photo

How do you set up your dies for a reloading session?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Assuming you have a single stage press, what I do is put the case holder on the press. Then insert the die for decapping. I have mine preset. To full length every time. The one I'm more interested in is your bullet seating die.

When I set mine in, I insert the die and back it out. Insert the empty case, place bullet and press down on the lever all the way, bring it down, measure it. Adjust die as needed till COAL is as close to target as possible. Normally about 3-4 times I can get my COAL on target then tighten the nut around the die with a crescent wrench so it doesnt back out. Thats how I do mine.

How do you guys do yours?

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Your seating die should be pre-set as well. Just use the small screw and nut on the top for the proper depth. By adjusting the die itself deeper you can damage the brass. The only brass I have damaged was with the seating die by being set improperly, never with a sizing die. I also never use a wrench on the dies, I preset the allen screw in the locking nut and just screw them in finger tight. I could be doing it wrong? But its worked for Me fairly well. JMO

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

That is the same problem that I had with Grant's 44mag reloads,
I think we figured out that his cylinders were a little bigger than mine.
Also, see if it does the same thing with a different powder.
Tom

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Tom, I believe he is referring only to the seating die and how to set and adjust it for depth. What we had to adjust was the depth of the resizing die.

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

I pretty much do it the same way, and the die never gets adjusted again unless I change the mold (I cast for everything I shoot). But - sometimes I need to readjust the seating die for two separate bullet lengths, like my 30-30 for silhouette.
I shoot a 170 grain for everything except chickens, which is a 115 grain. In that case, I have one of each on the reloading bench pre-made, so I back out the seater, put a pre-seated round in the press, raise it up and screw the seater down until it touches. Good to go for the rest of the loading quick and easy.

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Here's how I do mine.

I first raised the ram up with the case on it. I then screw the seater die into the press unit the case mouth comes in contact with the crimp shoulder of the die. Back it out one complete turn and secure the die with it's locking ring. Next, find your bullet seating depth using tools like Lock N Load OAL Gauge or just make your own dummy round for the bullet you intend to shoot on your rifle. If you want to use more than one bullet, then make a dummy round for each one. Put your dummy round away and referenced it every time you load. I won't touch my die again until I load a new batch of bullet.

By the way, I established my seating depth by measuring the length through the bullet ogive rather than the COAL.

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

So in other words DF.. your seating die is set, and you dont change the Die for the COL ? You adjust it with the seating stem?

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

My first question would have to be: Are you referring to rifle or pistol rounds? Adjusting the seating die for a pistol will also change the crimp and is just one of the reasons why I use a seperate seating and crimping die for pistol.

#9 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

So in other words DF.. your seating die is set, and you dont change the Die for the COL ? You adjust it with the seating stem?

Correct!

I also never use a wrench on the dies, I preset the allen screw in the locking nut and just screw them in finger tight.

Grant, it's better to tightened it a bit using wrench or something unless you have a good grip. :crazy: I always found mine loose after I'm done reloading necessitating running the loaded round through the seater once again.

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

I'm the same as most.

Resizing die I set once. I have "2" 220 Swifts and "2" .223's...among others. Each has their own die set w/shell holder. I set them once to bump the shoulder back .002". They are now set for each individual chamber.

Seating die is set the same way DF describes, then adjusted for different bullets with the stem. I too measure bullets from the ogive. I use a stoney point tool for the various different calibers. I record maximum length for different bullet/caliber/rifle combos and adjust accordingly.

#11 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

when I set up my dies for the 357 sig ,i got a hornady headspace gauge set (Tawnoper.s suggestion) ,so i could adjust the shoulder to only bump it back .002. BEST money i spent , as you can set all your dies up quickly and accurately. Once i find a seating depth that works for me , I seat an empty sized case with the pellet and put it in the box with the dies.

#12 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

Correct!

Grant, it's better to tightened it a bit using wrench or something unless you have a good grip. :crazy: I always found mine loose after I'm done reloading necessitating running the loaded round through the seater once again.

Thanks for the tip DF.. I have never had one feel loose as of yet, but I will keep better watch on it.

#13 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

I was referring to rifle rounds. I thought about doing a dummy round but have just never done it. Guess I'll have to give it a try. I make the die snug with a wrench. Sometimes it gets loose so I just tighten it now.

#14 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Most of these posts were directed at rifle rounds. Its just that if you are changing the DIE to adjust COL its probably the wrong way to accomplish it.

#15 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Don't forget to make sure your COAL will fit your rifle magazine, unless you don't mind loading your rifle one cartridge at a time. :signbummer8tl:

#16 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Oh yeah I never have that issue. But I only load maybe 3 rounds max in any rifle I own. But to be honest if it takes more than 1 shot then I messed up and probably shouldnt have taken the shot in the first place. At the range however its normally 1 at a time anyway. Occasionally 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users