• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

i notice the 700 remington 223 craters the primers, even with factory loads. My guess is that the fire pin hole is a bit large. Should i deal with getting it cured ? It shoots great . I use cci 400 primers, if I change primers( if I can find some Federal ) would that help? One other question, I have some cci magnum primers (#450) , how much would you reduce loads using a magnum primer? I dont imagine my loads that i have worked up will shoot the same with a magnum primer? Thanks folks..

#2 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Going to a thicker primer may help. Since I got a AR-15 I switched over to the CCI BR4 Bench rest primers for all of my 223 Rem and 223 AI reloading.

Check out this information on Small Rifle primers.

CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer. Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.
CCI BR4 - match primer with a thicker .025" cup.
Federal 205 - Mil-Spec cup thickness according to Federal - okay for 5.56mm. .0225" cup thickness.
Federal 205M - same as the 205 but the match version.
Magtech PR-SR - .025" cup thickness (not much feedback yet on this new primer as to AR15 suitability but with the same cup thickness as the Rem 7 1/2 it looks good so far)
Remington 6 ½ - thin .020" cup, intended for older, lower pressure rounds Remington says do not use for the .223 Rem or other similar pressure rounds. Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.
Remington 7 ½ BR - A match or "bench rest" primer. Lyman & Nosler classify this primer as a Standard. Remington says the compound is the same as the 6 1/2 but with a thicker .025" cup.
RWS 4033
Winchester WSR - some piercing issues noted when changed from silver to brass cup. Cup thickness is a bit thinner at .021". Most say they are good to go for the AR15 despite that, probably because of the hardness of the cup. Some feel they are less resistant to higher pressures.
Wolf Small Rifle SR - soft, sensitive copper cup, not recommended for AR15/military rifle use or high pressure rounds.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

I use Fed 205M in my 223 & CCI 400 BR2(?) in my 22-250. (long story / lol).

I have tested quite a bit of loads with mag primers in several calibers, including the 2 above. I no longer use any mag primers in my standard rifle calibers.

With that in mind, you are correct, Eric, that as a general rule, I found that I had to use 1/2 grain less powder with mag primers. There was also a slight velocity loss, perhaps in the 50 fps range?! And you know how that had to give me the chills. LOL

I personally would re-test or try some CCI BR4 or other primers with your loads. If the problem does not go away, I guess it cannot hurt to have a gunsmith look at it. Could it possible be the spring is too strong??

Good Luck

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

If it doesn't affect accuracy or rifle function, just leave it alone. If it bothers you, you can send your bolt to Gre'-tan rifles and they can fix that.

http://www.gretanrifles.com
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Thanks all for the help and info. It shoots real good, i am going to leave things well enough alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users