8 replies to this topic

#1 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Slightly off topic I suppose but maybe someone has expertise.

I have a 9 year old "Frigidaire Commercial" (that's what it says on the front of the door) upright freezer. It's not frost free and appears to me to be a pretty simple system (not that I know anything). We keep it in the barn so it runs a lot in the summer. This past week, while it was so cool outside, I noticed it was running EVERYTIME I went to the barn, which is several times a day.

I decided I should defrost it, so Sunday I unloaded it and cleaned all the built up ice. The top shelf had substantial built up ice but none of the others had any. I dried it out and put it back together. And it's been running ever since. Everything is rock solid frozen. So I turned it down and it continues to run. Also the top shelf is building up a little ice but none of the others are.

I asked the family Chief Financial Officer if we have been having higher than normal electrical bills and she said we have, about $100 higher than she would expect, for a couple months.

Repair? Or replace?

Thanks

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,337 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Replace it with a chest style of freezer. They are much more efficient and don't dump all of the cold air every time you open the door.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Replace.
I also agree on the chest style.

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#4 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

replace . Sounds like my brothers old " brick " . We both used it for fish n bait .

I ended up getting a chest freezer after that . We lost power for a week during a wind storm . After 3 days of no power & not screwing with it , thicker items ( beef , chicken , pork ) was solid . I got a generator third day and ran it only during the day . night time was cold enough that I had chests outside with drinks , water & immediate eating / defrosting foods .

My GF got it from Costco , on a coupon . So it should be cheap .

And

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

I use my old freezer to store my reloading supplies in (un powered of course). Keeps all my powder/primers in a nice and dry environment. Orgazined too. You could probably replace it off craigslist cheaper than fixing it.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#6 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

I've heard an old freezer can be converted to a great smoker too. Storing reloading supplies seems like a great idea though because my reloading bench is only about 10 steps away, and being as its all in the barn, there's a lot of dust so I have to keep the bench and supplies covered well... I could see carrying a couple really good beers out to the barn, putting them in the freezer and plugging the freezer in while I reload till they are COLD! :-D

Of course, the reloading process would cease when the beer is really cold!

#7 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

As a retired HVAC repair man with 45 years experence,
I say dump it.
You will save lots of money on electricty.
The other guy's have some good ideas also.
Storage, or smoker.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#8 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

My wife already started shopping for a new one. This next one will be an inside freezer so hopefully it won't be fighting for it's life 6 months of the year.

Gonna be hard to get away from the upright though. I like having everything on its own shelf. I raise a lot of the meat we eat and it's nice to have the poultry shelves, the fish shelf, the beef shelf, the venison shelf... I'm not gonna dig havin' to dig :-)

#9 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

I prefer an upright as well. Freezers around my house only get opened a few times a week anyway. Shelves and less floor footprint are a plus in my opinion.

For the handy guy, fixing a lot of refer or freezer problems is fairly easy. Seized compressors or leaky Freon is a more difficult issue. Defrost timers and heaters and thermostat problems are often easy fixes.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users