14 replies to this topic

#1 jessedlc

jessedlc

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

if u only have enough cash for 1 and have neither , what would u purchase binoculars or a spotting scope???? big 5 has a sale on binos from leupold for 120, and a spotting scope simmons for about half that??????? looking to predator hunt

#2 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

I would go with the binos. Ed

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

You don't need either for predator hunting, you can't use them on stand without moving and don't need them any other time for that matter. If you wan't to get the bonoculars to keep in the truck that would be your best bet. My guess is the spotting scope will collect dust. If you don't have the money and are only going to predator hunt then save your money for fuel.
  • 5150Marcelo likes this

#4 jessedlc

jessedlc

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

i was also thinking to help when zeroing out my scope at the range

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Binos

#6 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Jaw is right, but binos are nice to have. A spotting scope is nice to have also, at the range it would be handy. On either one I would save my money and get better glass (more money lol, but worth it). Spoting scopes come in damn handy when you are hunting open country, but you should have a good pair of binos even then. Find them in the binos, study them in the spoting scope. Ed

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Binos

#8 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

For sighting in start at 25 yards and get it on target. Then move back to 100 yards and fine tune it. OH you have legs and just walk up to the target to get a good look. You should be able to see thru your scope where you are hitting also. Another option is the targets which change color where the bullet hits.
Save your money and get a better pair of Binos. You will be glad you did.
OR I have a pair of NIB Simmons 20X for$40 and a Bushnell 9 to 30X spotting scope for $20

#9 jessedlc

jessedlc

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

i bought the leupold bins, they r made in china , i thought that was an american co. was not impressed one bit, prob. gonna return

#10 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I would also go with the bino's and get the best that you can afford. They are much more versatil than the spotting scope. Get that later.

#11 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Like Jawbreaker said, you wont use either for predator hunting. At least not for calling. If you were trying to scan a field for yotes in the morning and try to spot and stalk or spot and call then some binos will help though.
Binos would serve you much better for hunting situations, though you need to keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Good glass is not cheap. Once you use a certain level of glass, you will never want to go backwards.
Spotting scopes are worthless at that price. You need to spend 10x that to get a decent one. You dont need one at the range either. You should be able to see bullet holes at 100yds with your rifle scope. Unless you go cheap on that too.
Hic Ego Statio

#12 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Get the binos - some nice ones with a warranty and good glass. I use mine several times a day and am going to get a smaller pair in the same model (right now it is Eagle Optics Rangers 10x50). I do not leave home without them - but my spotting scope has been in the same box since 2 x-mas's ago. It has a niche but it is a much smaller one than the binos.
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#13 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

I have a pair of Hawke 10x and they seem to work just fine and they didn't cost too much. I purchased a cheaper spotting scope and it works but not very well use at the range only.

#14 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

I would say binos. I bought a cheapo spotting scope, and its pretty much worthless. Rather have binos, even at the range its easier for me to spot hits with the scope on my rifle than my cheapo spotting scope.. Pretty much the only time I use it is when shooting iron sights to spot hits...

#15 braunbear66

braunbear66

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Fishing Hunting Snowboarding Skiing Camping in my Airstream.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

Ya I picked up those Leupold $80 dollars @ big five. My kids love them. Going to get a nice pair for myself. Just picked up a scope this weekend for my new Rem. 700 A Vortex 3x9x40 with DMZ scope mount (MED)RH.IMG_1235_zpsaf5db05d.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users