• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

I couldnt stand it. A friend had a lvsf .223 he wanted to sell, so i made a deal for it. It has about 20 rounds thru it ,which i shot most of .I am exited about building a light load for urban coyote hunting, and shooter John gave me tons of info on. I will either make an bdl or h-s precision clip gun out of it, as a blind magazine is a pain in todays world. this little gun impressed me on how it liked 2 different types of factory ammo, so i look foward to working up some loads for it. I took him coyote hunting a couple years ago and he killed a coyote with it..

Attached File  IMG_0006.jpg   66.62KB   7 downloads

#2 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

Congratulations on the new gun,
Time to have some fun.
Tom

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

Nice rifle.so do you still call coyotes or do you mostly trap now.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

The Remington gods (& all of team Remington) are smiling down upon you, Eric :D

That is one fine (& accurate, as you say) rifle. Like many others, I really love the 223 caliber. You did good!! :good:

Keep us posted on your future hunts &/or shooting results with it...

#5 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Nice score on a new gun. Hope you enjoy it for many moons to come.

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

i called h-s precision and got a couple clips coming. I had an extra base plate ,so they said all i need is the clip. That saved me about 250.00 !! I shot it a few times tonight on the way home. Shes a real tack driver for sure. I was shooting about 2 bit size groups off the hood of truck @ 150 yards. I had some Umc 50 grain hollow points.

#7 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm sure you are going to like that rifle (even if it is a Remington). :pot:

I am exited about building a light load for urban coyote hunting, and shooter John gave me tons of info on.

I did some playing with a light "gopher" load for my .223. I think some of the info also came from Shooter John.

11grs of Blue Dot with a 50 gr Hornady SPSX works very well in my Sako. The noise is much less than usual loads and the recoil is almost nothing. I have shot squirrels with this load but never a coyote.

Also loaded some 40gr Hornady V-Max with 11grs Blue Dot. Not as accurate as SPSX . Shot one coyote. Spin and dead right there.

Good luck. Will be looking for your results.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

you mean mags ehd so on that model a mag will fit right in all you have to do is take out the base plate sweet deal.what does the trigger feel like?

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

i Had a stock with an extra h-s precision base plate so all i needed to make it a clip gun was the clips for 223 . I still do alot of calling . ( i missed your post earlier). I got the dies yesterday and tried some "gopher loads". Lots of fun. 10 grains of Blue dot with a 40 gr.v-max sounds like a 22 mag. I shot a dime sized group @ 100 yds. tonight ill load up some in 8208xbr and see what they do, also be curious where the poa will be in relation to the gopher loads. the trigger wasnt bad, but i had a timney i bought on sale a few months back so I put it in while i had it apart. I see why so many of you shoot the 223 ,as it is very fun to shoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users