15 replies to this topic

#1 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

I was thinking of starting to reload shotshells but I don't happen to know of any places around my area that sells reloading supplies. I was thinking of getting everything online but found that the primers and powder have hazmat fees associated with them which makes it cost prohibitive. How does one find a place that sells reloading supplies? I've checked a few of the small gun stores around here but they don't carry anything. Turners used to carry that stuff but when I went there last month I didn't see anything. They opened a new store in Oxnard, maybe I'll go check that place out and see if they carry anything.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Well, If you are ever down in the area of Rancho Cucamonga, the Bass Pro there has everything. Otherwise maybe one of the upper LA basin guys can help.
I wait for the gun shows to get primers and powder, the only thing our gun shows are good for anymore...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

For the haz mat stuff always go to a gun store near you. As for the rest of the supplies, equipment, etc, you have Natchez, CheaperthanDirt, etc.

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Powder Valley is my favorite place to order powder and primers from. Widener's Reloading also has good prices.

The powder and primers are so much cheaper from Powder Valley it doesn't take a very big order to save enough money to pay for the shipping and the Haz-Mat fee and they won't charge you for any sales tax.

They will ship the powder and primers in the same box. Unless things have changed they can put up to 48 lbs of powder and primers in one box.

With the price of gas as high as it is you could spend your shipping charge or your Haz-Mat fee just driving around trying to find what you want.

What we do quite often is get 2 to 4 guys to go together for a small group buy and they we figure out what the shipping and Haz-Mat fee cost was per dollar spent. Then each guy pays the per dollar cost for what he ordered. The last few orders we made it cost each one of us just over 9 cents per dollar on what we ordered.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#5 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

powder valley is good! sportsmans warehouse not bad if you only buying 8#, the shot prices are very high now and not many deals

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

I third the vote for powder valley. At $30 or more a lb at our local store I try to get Mine from PV as well. Good luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#7 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

I also use PV and have had good results, just have to order in larger amounts, really doesn't take a lot to make up the differance of the Haz. fee and shipping plus you don't have to go anywhere.

#8 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Simi Valley? Have you checked out Gretas? They are on LA Ave near Tapo. I don't think they have a large selection of stuff but they do have some. I believe they sell powder as does Turners on Tampa.

I'd buy a reloader like a MEC online. Also the shot, wads and hulls. You'll get a better deal. To avoid the Hazmat up front I'd buy the powder over the counter. In the long run you'll save money online but just for a pound of powder and some primers you wont. Once you figure out what you're doing and what you want powder wise, place an order with some other folks and split the Hazmat fee.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#9 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

I've been to Gretas, they don't have any powders or primers and very small selection of other reloading components. The Turners on Tampa doesn't have anything except a few presses and bullets, I was there last month. I'll need to find a few people around here that do shooting and see if they reload :D.

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Haven't been to Turners in awhile but they used to have a limited selection. Only been in Gretas a few times. Unfortunately the Reloading Center that was in the valley closed down a number of years ago. It was a really well stocked place.

Camarillo Shooter Supply has powder/primers. Scott is the owner...good guy. I've bought a few guns off him as well as powder/primers.

118 to Somis. Take Lewis to Ventura Blvd (right after passing under the 101). A few blocks down on the left.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

Unfortunately the Reloading Center that was in the valley closed down a number of years ago. It was a really well stocked place.

The Reloading Center used to be owned by our member VarmintAir. He got tired of fighting the city on everything to do with his business and closed up. Now he lives in Arizona and shoots nothing but air rifles.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Midway...

Not only do they carry a HUGE supply of everything, they often times have "stuff" when others don't & normally at good prices, including a fair number of sales usually going on.

#13 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

The Reloading Center used to be owned by our member VarmintAir. He got tired of fighting the city on everything to do with his business and closed up. Now he lives in Arizona and shoots nothing but air rifles.

Those guys were great. I bought a couple presses from him and his son as well as supplies. That was a long time ago. Since then, I buy what little I need from mail order, Basspro, The Stockade, and Triple B Clays. You might check out Moore-n-Moore (Angeles shooting range), or The Oak Tree gun club.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#14 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Another vote for Powder Valley. Great customer support. Good reasonable prices...always worth the extra click to check a couple of spots before you buy.
Buy before the next election...I did 4 1/2 years ago and missed all the freak outs.

#15 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

Haven't been to Turners in awhile but they used to have a limited selection. Only been in Gretas a few times. Unfortunately the Reloading Center that was in the valley closed down a number of years ago. It was a really well stocked place.

Camarillo Shooter Supply has powder/primers. Scott is the owner...good guy. I've bought a few guns off him as well as powder/primers.

118 to Somis. Take Lewis to Ventura Blvd (right after passing under the 101). A few blocks down on the left.

I'll have to give Camarillo Shooter Supply a try on powders and primers as I'm just starting in on this stuff and not sure if the wife will let me stick to it. I'll shop around for the rest of the stuff online and compare prices. However, Powder Valley seems to be the cheapest place for powders and primers.

Thank you everyone for the input

#16 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

There are a few online places (I think midsouth shooters is one) that understand our difficulties and will package everything to minimize hazmat fees. It is only a $25 (IIRC) additional charge, so if you split it with someone you can get great prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users