• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tradhistorian

Tradhistorian

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Backpacking, Fishing, Spearfishing, scuba diving, free diving, archery, small game.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

I have been practicing every day with my bow and feel comfortable with my shot placements up to 45 yards. I am interested in hunting deer next season and have noticed the archery stores around as we'll as the bass pro down by me sells treestands. I grew up in the San Bernardino Mountains and love to backpack LANF and am starting trips into the LPNF in the southern parts. I plan on narrowing an area down and scouting all winter. My question is: how likely will it be that I will find a tree for a treestand? If not a treestand what about a blind? All I ever hear are people talking about stalking in the west with shots happening over 70 yards away, and that's not going to work for me ethically. I use a recurve and would prefer to keep the shoot to 35 or less.

Thanks for the help
Brett

#2 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

A lot of people will disagree with me for what I am gonna say. When I used to bow hunt I never would use a stand or a blind. I wont use them for rifle hunting either. I was raised hunting to track em in the brush etc so thats the way I do it. I shoot black powder 99% of the time now so I keep all my shots 100 yards or under even when using centerfire I wont shoot over 150 at the most. If your in a area with lots of timber and brush that should hide you well enough. Dress to match the area your hunting.

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Tree stands are very popular back East. Our mountainous terrain isn't as conducive to using a tree stand.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

They show alot of those treestands on whitetail tv. Haven't seen one used here in mulie-land.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

A lot of people will disagree with me for what I am gonna say. When I used to bow hunt I never would use a stand or a blind. I wont use them for rifle hunting either.

Not me! Besides, I would probably just hurt myself trying to climb a tree. And yes, I actually hunted (mule) deer with a bow m a n y years ago... until I discovered a rifle worked much better. Just don't tell Thumper I said that, ok?! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :D

#6 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

I have several friends that hunt in some of the areas you've mentioned...They've had luck with both treestands and blinds! We use 'both' up here in Northern CA and when I hunt Oregon for Blacktails...A great way to hunt and get both close shots and see animals this close without spreading scent and noise all over the woods...

Attached Files

17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#7 stablizo

stablizo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I haven't used a treestand (I'd probably fall) but have used blinds.  They were great when it was raining outside but get hot if it's warm.  If you can, set the blind up a few weeks ahead of time so that the game get's used to it.  It's such a rush when game walks next to you.  The only bad thing is that it can be difficult to determine the direction sounds are coming from.  We had a turkey gobling just out of sight down the hill to the left and in front of us and both of us thought it was next to the blind.

#8 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

I can't say anything bad about tree stands,

but most people in California use the spot and stalk method.

The main thing to do is be stealth, use scent remover.

Your time will come.

I have killed four deer with a bow, but I have also lost

several shots being Scented, or seen to close.

Hang in there hone your skills, and you will get your deer.

Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#9 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

The big problem with a tree stand is you have to pack them in and out unless it is private property and you can lock it to the tree. If you are hunting public land and leave it in a tree it is fair game. If in a NF leaving it behind is littering just like throwing down a water bottle. It can be very difficult to find a tree suitable for a tree stand in the west. Blinds can be great but have drawbacks as mentioned above. If you want to set up a stand in Cal all you really need is a folding chair or comfortable ground and a hand saw to cut some brush to stack around you. If you decide on a tree stand get a safety harness, it will save your life. For me out there spot and stalk worked best. Here in Alabama spot and stalk is next to impossible for deer.

Karl

#10 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've not shot a deer from a tree stand.  I've been in a couple ladder type tree stands left behind by others.  Ladder type stands simply lean against the tree and there is a ladder in the front with either a chair or platform at the top.

A ground blind is another good way to go, but scent becomes more important (not that scent isn't a concern in a tree stand.  I lost an opportunity on a Pope & Young coues deer 2 yrs ago because the deer winded my friend in a tree stand).

I've hunted from ground blinds made with local branches and existing foliage as well as a tent-type enclosure with shooting windows.

No matter what type of stand/blind you use,... location, location, location.

It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

IM not going to say any thing im the worlds worst deer hunter. Can't see them if they are ten feet in front of me . Just ask peeker. Heck the last one I got took nine shots to hit,( With a rifle.) It was running at 350 yards . Way to big of a target. The thing about deer here you just can't count on them being in one place. Some cases maybe. In the A zones or foot hills they might be a great way to go.  Hey only stuppid people never ask for advice.

You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users