• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

I don't even know where to begin, but to say after growing up there in my teen years and to finally get to go back and hunt these elk...A dream come true! It didn't dissapoint from day one on...Meeting Don and 'Jack' was a hoot and yes, 'he know's elk'...It was great knowing I had someone there that could find me if I needed anything and he was there! Even if not around, he made sure I stayed in touch, just so he knew where I might be...That was a great relief, not only to me, but my family and friends, knowing I had someone close by if needed...

Thank you again Don!

Not only Don, but Dave Figueroa...They let me hunt and do my thing with the piece of mind, knowing that if I needed 'em they'd be there and they were!

From day one, I was into Elk and saw Bulls every day...I'd set a goal for my self and said I'd chase big Bulls the first seven (7) days of the hunt and then on day eight (8) it would be gloves off on any Tule Bull...Physically, not a tough hunt although it was to me just because of injuries I've sustained in the past and I had to pace myself as a result...Mentally an ass kicker! Just because you 'see' big Bulls does not mean you will 'kill' big bulls!

How 600# animals can disapear is beyond me, but they'd do just that and it frustraited the hell out of me the first few days...Don would be close by hunting Doves and I'd come out all PO'd and he'd just laugh and tell me to have patience and think when in there...

Then it clicked! Not only did I start finding them, but in a big way and from then on, game on...

When it clicked I could find Bulls everyday and for the most part be in a shooting position on them...They just may not be the 'big' ones....Spikes were a crack up and the 'smaller' Bulls were ones I'd seen and photographed during a scouting trip, however I wasn't at the eight (8) day mark yet...They were all nice branch antlered bulls, just not of this caliber....

Fast forward to day eight (8), Saturday....Again into Bulls and this time I went in with the mind-set, shoot one if given a chance! However early, I heard one Bull keep bugling to the North and I had to go look... A stud to say the least and he'd taken the 20+ cows from this guy! This Bull I'd seen many times and every time he was in there harrassing and staying close to the big Bulls no matter the size...He was a fighter!

Attached Files

17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#2 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

I move to get in position at a fence crossing I know of and it's to late, they beat me and head North towards another open field...I close and dog behind them trying to stay in striking distance until finally running out of cover...They're out there at 75/80 yards and I have a mound of sage with a small depression to get behind...Cow calls were usless and a good friend had told be to ditch them and just scream at 'em on the bugle...At this time the bigger Herd Bull was amongst the girls as usual and the Satelite standing in the shade close by...Note that tree!

I just open up with the Bugle and all hell breaks loose...Both Bulls scream back another bugle and some cow's break and head my way, that did it! I had a shooting lane and was already at full draw saying the first 'antlered' Bull gets it if he steps into the lane...Here he comes as I see antlers approaching, quartered to I put it tight behind the shoulder and thump him...Hit hard, he returns to the herd with the cow's watching him, head hung low...Then moves to the tree and shade...He lays down and the whole herd moves to surround him...Trying to stand once, he goes right back down...

I just lay there in the sun, heat dust and sage and soaked it all in...I had 'my' Tule Bull!!! Finally the herd moved off and I and i glassed to see and make sure his head was down before making my approach...As I was approaching I thought I saw his chest still rising and falling and sent in a insurance and finishing arrow, although it wasn't needed...Here he is!

I apologize for the field photo's...I'd ditched my tripod for 'water' space and at 1100 it was already hot...I wasn't going to lose meat for pictures!

I did find a picture of the Bull I shot from July on my scouting trip...He was a 7X6 on the 12th and when I shot him on the 15th he was a 5X6...Told you he was a fighter! :aggressive:

Attached Files

17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#3 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

The Bull standing under his tree before I called him in and a Herd Bull I'd chased a few times during the hunt...One of the many Spikes looking for me! :blink:

Attached Files

#4 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

See if the size is right...

Attached Files

#5 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

:signs1242cn: :signs1242cn: :signs1242cn:

Congratulations!

Great story and pictures!
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

Great job on getting your bull. Elk is a favorite at my house.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

Great job getting your bull! :good:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Great Ike! Loved the write up, made me feel like I was along on the hunt. You have had a great hunting year my friend lol. ED

#10 86mcss

86mcss

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:archery, precision target shooting, hunting, fishing...everything outdoors

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

awesome bull

#11 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

about time!!! :) Hell yeah buddy! congrats on the trophy. i'm so jealous!!!! one day for sure i will be getting ahold of you for some tips ;) lol until then... congrats!

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

Way cool awsome stuff. That was better than a hunting show on tv. Great job. :good: :good:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#13 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Beautiful bull! Congratulations.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#14 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks guys! Still floating here, seems like yesterday still... :yahoo:

#15 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

Great hunt Ike. I could feel the adrenaline from here. Bowhunting has a rush all its own.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users