#1 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Just an FYI,

Over on Cast boolits there is a group buy going for a 30gr air rifle bullet mold in .22 - for those thinking about casting their own...

I own a custom MIhec mold for 45acp, and can attest to the quality of their molds. Whether the bullet design offered works in your particular rifle, I cant say...

http://castboolits.g...ad.php?t=166188

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Casting larger lead bullets (like your .45's) is much easier than small caliber because the mold doesn't heat up enough and you get wrinkled bullets. It will be interesting to see what they find out and how well they cast once the mold is made. You don't find many small caliber bullets molds for the reasons I stated.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

You mean like this one? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I cast 40 grain bullets for my black powder .22 long Rifle loads, and as you can see - I have no problems casting perfect pills... B)

Posted Image

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

It can be done I just said it isn't as easy because you have to heat the mold more and I'm sure you won't dispute that fact. I run all Saeco four cavity bullet molds myself and find the more bullets I can cast at one time the easier it is to heat and control the mold temperature. I have never been a fan of hollow point molds but have ways to hollow point bullets I cast. I stopped casting bullets I would use for personal defense for the reason that you open yourself to more liability if you shoot ammunition that you manufactured also.

Time waits for no one--

#5 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Every spring we get birds like you cannot believe in the building where I work. Years ago I took to shooting at them with 6" cotton tipped applicators(Q tips) out of a modified air blower. More to run them off than to actually kill them.Every once in a while, I actually speared one. So I got to thinking....could I make a pellet. I got a chunk of aluminum, drilled a hole the same size as the inside of the tube about a 1/4" deep, drilled a smaller hole all the way through, got my soldering iron hot, filled the hole with solder, rolled the lead pellet around on a sheet of 100 grit paper until the pellet slipped down the tube of my air blower, and pulled the trigger. It left a nasty dent in a piece of 1x12 pine shelving, so I made another and shot it at one of the birds. I didn't hit it but the birds all stayed on the other side of the shop, far away from me. It could be easily refined and upgraded to make real pellets if one had the interest to do so.

#6 Waldo Reed

Waldo Reed

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Too Many

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Casting larger lead bullets (like your .45's) is much easier than small caliber because the mold doesn't heat up enough and you get wrinkled bullets. It will be interesting to see what they find out and how well they cast once the mold is made. You don't find many small caliber bullets molds for the reasons I stated.

That's a shame I would have been interested in creating my own low caliber pellets. I have several pounds of used tire balancing weights. When my nephews were in scouting, I helped them design and build their pinewood derby cars resulting in a collection of trophies. I melted lead to make custom shaped weights for the car design. Only a small number of weights were needed so I created my molds out of spare pinewood blocks.

#7 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

I save all of the old lead wheel weights that I take off of the motorcycle tires I change I have a shoebox full.

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Wheel weights are not the softest of lead. Pellets should in reality be as soft as possible so that the skirt flares when the gun it fired to contact the rifling.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users