#1 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

Sorry if this topic was brought up already. Just wanted to get some feedback to see on how these rifles shoot? Saw it at a store for $100, and the ammo is cheap as well I think I saw 400 rounds in the can for $100. Is it accurate? Is it best just for target practice or can you hunt with it? My cousin showed it to me at a store, and I want to know more about it.

#2 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

PM sent and you can get the ammo cheaper than that on-line and save the sales tax also. The mil surplus ammo is not legal for hunting game as it is FMJ. Mil surplus ammo will be corrosive but that is not a big deal if you clean accordingly when you are done shooting. You can hunt with the rifle but there are much better choices out there. Some shoot great and other not so great. Remember they were made in wartime. All the ones I have bought have shot pretty well.

#3 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

What you would be buying is an antiquated obsolete military rifle. There are plenty of nice new guns out there. Look at Marlin's XL-7 or ruger's new one. Modern weapon with ammo available anywhere.

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

They can be a great big game rifle. The 7.62x54r round is almost the same ballistically as a 308 winchester. Rifles are Long, Heavy, Clunky, Take some work to mount a scope, Safety sucks on them, and the trigger feels like poop, and they have a pretty good kick.
Ammo for hunting is out there and prices are comparable to other 30 cal rifle ammo. Lead soft points for about $17 a box (PPU) , Lead-Free for about $45 a box (DoubleTap)

They can be a fun cheap project rifle if you want to learn how to do some "Garage Gunsmithing". There are aftermarket parts for them, Stocks, Triggers, Scope Mounts etc, but by the time you put all this work and money into it, you could have bought a new modern rifle for $350 or $400.

Seriously look into the Savage Axis in .243. They go on sale at Big5 all the time. Modern rifle, plentiful ammo, light recoil, great caliber for Deer.
There are a lot of good rifles out there (new and used) for $350-500 that will last you a lifetime
Hic Ego Statio

#5 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks guys.

Diverhunter - PM sent

They can be a great big game rifle. The 7.62x54r round is almost the same ballistically as a 308 winchester. Rifles are Long, Heavy, Clunky, Take some work to mount a scope, Safety sucks on them, and the trigger feels like poop, and they have a pretty good kick.
Ammo for hunting is out there and prices are comparable to other 30 cal rifle ammo. Lead soft points for about $17 a box (PPU) , Lead-Free for about $45 a box (DoubleTap)

They can be a fun cheap project rifle if you want to learn how to do some "Garage Gunsmithing". There are aftermarket parts for them, Stocks, Triggers, Scope Mounts etc, but by the time you put all this work and money into it, you could have bought a new modern rifle for $350 or $400.

Seriously look into the Savage Axis in .243. They go on sale at Big5 all the time. Modern rifle, plentiful ammo, light recoil, great caliber for Deer.
There are a lot of good rifles out there (new and used) for $350-500 that will last you a lifetime

I'm sure there are other better rifles out there, but if I could find a couple that shoot well then that is a plus. Thinking for hunting I could use the mil surplus for practice then switch over to the soft points when hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users