modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

Going to Lakeview Oregon tomorrow afternoon to look at a rifle. Remington BDL 22-250 with a heavy barrel. Lol I already have one 700 in 22-250, but I figure I might take to my smith and have him make a 22-250 AI out of it. I don't have one of those lol. Wasn't going to buy another rifle yet, lol cause I bought the Sukui, but I am a sucker for 700's lol. So I will probably buy it if we can come to the right terms, wish me luck. I need it I am a 700 addict lol. Ed

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,339 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

That's a heavy rifle Ed. Do you really want to pack that thing around? I have a .223AI and like it, but I'm not sure I need my .22-250's to go any faster. If I'm taking a .22-250 I'm carrying it so a lighter gun is my preference as I'm not putting allot of rounds down range. But you can never have to many guns.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

a lighter gun is my preference

Yeah, it seems like most folks are into those "girlie" (light weight) rifles. Believe they're called "walking" rifles?! I never could get any of my rifles to "walk", and had to stay with my labs for that. LOL

Oh, & btw, just how "far" do we normally walk from the truck anyhow?? AND, a heavier rifle is steadier on the stix, making for more reliable hits. A BIG thing... especially from what I have seen & read over the years.

So, Ed, hang in there, buddy, I'm with you all the way (a shock to some, I know(lol)... Heav(ier) Remmys RULE! (sorta like old guy (T-shirts). Sorta! LOL

I do agree with John on one thing. I do like the 223 AI over the 22-250 AI. I mean, just go with one of my (22-250) power rocket loads, and you won't need a 250 AI. If I remember right, there is little to no velocity increase with the 250 AI, UN-like the 223 AI. HOWEVER, if the 22-250 AI floats your boat, then that is exactly what you should go with of course. I mean, if we start putting logic into any of this, we would all be shooting just 30/06's or 223's, right?! LOL

Anyway, good luck, and let us know what you decide

#4 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

John, I shoot a lot of squeeks from a bench so the heavy barrel would be good for that. My other 22-250 is more of a walk around rifle. As for the AI I don't have one so I kinda like the idea lol. May not do it right away, probably won't. I would love to go back east and shoot P-Dogs and this would be a great rifle for that also. Just my thoughts lol. Ed

Thanks Frank, I somehoe knew you would be in my corner lol. Ed

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,339 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Nothing wrong with the rifle Ed. But now I can remember when Frank would only shoot a .22-250 and now he's come to his senses and shoots a .223. As for the difference I won't waste the powder that that a .22-250 burns to shoot ground rats, especially those beer can models you have up there. A .223 or even a .17Remington will make them jump just as high for a fraction the cost. I started out with a .22-250 it was my very first personal rifle purchase a Remington Model 788. But I learned long ago you don't need all of that for squeaks or even coyotes. Besides the fact I have enough free .223 brass to last me several lifetimes. I was just making an observation was all.

Time waits for no one--

#6 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

You are right John, I also have a 233, and a 17 rem. I just like rifles lol, I shoot them all. My first varmint rig was a Ruger 77 in 22-250., one hell of a dog gun. I ran a pheasant club in Sutter county, bought it to shoot coyotes that were eating my rice chickens. Worked great. Gave it to my grandson about 4 years ago and went right out and bought a Remmy 22-250. I can make a squeek fly with a 22lr lol, all you have to do is be close enough and have him in the right position and hit him in the right place. Ed

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,339 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Where in Sutter was your pheasant club? I spent allot of time in that area as a kid. Even hunted up into the Buttes. One of my granddad's and several great uncles lives up there in Sutter, Liver Oak and Gridley. Last count I think there are thirty of my close relative buried in the Sutter Cemetery.

Time waits for no one--

#8 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

:smiley_green_with_envy:

Ed...I am just about ready to transform my Tejon varmint hunting $$$ budgeted for next spring...and turn it into a terrific Alturas/Goose Lake wack-a-thon next May.
If you get the 22-250...I'll bring you several hundred 22-250 rounds (on me) just to be in your company when we get those pesky little buggers in a huge lead cross fire next May.

Thinking about Stestsons....Dinner with the twins......an adult beverage.....bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang (two hundred more times/day)

700....buy the 700.....woooooooooooooooo...buy the 700 :flag:

#9 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Nice rifles. I have one. Shoots good. Mine is not a A.I. though.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#10 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

Ed you really NEED to buy that rifle and you SHOULD make it into a 22-250AI.LOL

A good friend of mine just had a Rem 700 22-250AI built with a 1-8" twist Hart barrel. The 22-250AI cartridge sure looks fast!
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#11 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Nice extra whomp

Attached Files

#12 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thanks Rob, dinner with the twins sounds good, I will be looking forward to seeing you this spring. We will make some squeeks fly, Ed

#13 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

John I was raised on Buttehouse road just east of the town of Sutter. My mothers family has been in the area since 1864, before it was called Sutter. I have hunted most of the Buttes at one time or another. The ranch I was raised on is still in the family, one of my sons lives on it. It was cattle and rice, now all rice. My bird club was on our ranch and several adjoining ranches. It is still in a bird club, my friend Larry Munger (South Butte Gun Club) has it now.

I bought the rifle lol. It is a pretty sucker.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hmmmm, Is that action long enough to ream the chamber to .22-6mm Ackley Improved? Lol! Always wanted one of those with a quick twist barrel.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#15 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Clamp, not sure if it is, but being 22-250 I would assume it is. I am sure my smith will know, and if it isn't I will be happy with it the way it is, lol after all it is a 700. AI from what I have read only makes it about 150 to 200 fps faster. Ed

#16 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Have you looked into the 22-243? It is the "simple" version of the 22-243 Middlestead but does not require fireforming. You just neck a .243 Winchester case down to .224 and you are done. You can even use .308 Winchester cases. To me, Ackley Improved made sense in the days when there was tons of cheap military 30-06 brass and the user wanted to gain some velocity over the plane Jane factory cartridge. Today there are so many factory hotrod cartridges that it takes too much time (for me...ymmv) and causes unneeded wear on the rifle barrel for the relatively small gain that AI cartridges give you. Choose a factory cartridge that has more powder capacity. AI cases require time to produce and you may not be able to produce the quantity that you may need for a weekend squirrel shoot.
When I first got my 6.5 Grendel, factory cases were scarce. The only source for factory brass was Sinclair at $1.05 each for empty cases. I found out you can fireform them out of 7.62x39 cases so I purchased 500 7.62x39 Winchester cases. I hydro-formed (water and a fitted punch) several hundred rounds before I found a incredible deal on 500 once fired 6.5 Grendel Lapua cases. I have not touched the formed cases after getting the Lapua brass.
Hydro-forming (if done properly) yields about a 98% formed case and does not wear out your barrel, consume primers, powder, and bullets (or Cream of Wheat).

Take care,

David

#17 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

lakeview. I used to buy my oregon licence there . We used to hunt around adele, on the warner rim. i think another place was called drakes peak?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users