• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have a few questions..

I have recently come into some brass that has dirt and dust on it. I am not wanting to get all the dirt in my walnut hull media.

1. Should I wash in dish soap and water and then let dry and then tumble as usual?

2. Should I wash in dish soap and water and then let dry, punch the primers and then tumble as usual?

If I do punch the primers do I need to worry about getting Dillon spray lube in the pockets when I go to size the cleaned brass?

I usually just throw the cases in the media and when they are clean, spray them with case lube and then load.

Before someone chimes in, I do not want to go to the expense or bother of the stainless media at this point and time. It is cool that the dirt would be washed down the drain though.

Thanks,

David

#2 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

I would wash first, blow dry then let dry for a day or 2, then tumble, lube and knock out the primers. Ed

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

You can wash it in your tumbler David. Just enough water to cover the brass and use Tide or some other brand of laundry detergent. It doesn't foam as much as dish washing liquid. Then just pour them out and rinse them in a colander. I take an old towel and dump the brass into it and grab the two ends of the towel and pull them up and down. Sort of a seesaw motion and that will remove most of the water. You can air dry them over night or just toss them into your walnut shells and it will finish drying them as it polishes them. If that brass is really old and junky I buy some cheap aquarium gravel and dump that into the tumbler when you are washing them. It cleans really well and just finish as I mentioned above.

#4 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

I also run the brass back through cleaning and polishing medium after sizing to remove the lube to insure that I don't contaminate the power charge.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

I use ground corncob to remove any excess lube from the loaded ammo. Some don't like to tumble loaded ammo but it only takes a few minutes and helps keep the ammo from picking up dirt.

#6 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

When I said "tumbler" I should have said vibratory case tumbler. If I had a traditional tumbler, I would probably do the stainless steel media thing.

John...how many times can you use the corncob media to remove excess lube?

The problem with a progressive is that you have to decide when to remove the primers. I have had shotgun hulls that remain wet inside for weeks after being fished out of the pond. My concern with washing brass is that there may be some dampness that is trapped in the spent primer and does not dry completely.

The brass I picked up is really nice stuff and only required a little NuFinish and some walnut Media to get it looking really nice. The 45 ACP cases that was mine that I picked back up looked worse than other cases I found. I had to load 300 rounds the night before the trip and did not have time to give them a final polish. I did not want that fine dust and sand in my media from the brass that was picked up from the dirt as my brass usually goes in a brass catcher or comes off the concrete at the range. I was just over thinking again. If one loads new brass, Dillon spray lube must get in the primer pockets.

Thanks,

David

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

I was referring to a vibratory tumbles as that is what most people use today. I have several old 12 pound rock tumblers but rarely use them for brass anymore.

I use the corncob until it looks dirty or will actually start to clump from some of the stickier lubes.

After you wash the brass and shake out excess water in a towel, throw them into you walnut media an polish them for a couple of hours. This will remove 99% of any moisture that maybe left in the cases and primers. Then lube them and run them as normal. Let the machine punch the primers and it will remove any media that hangs up with the primers.

The old trick of tossing in some old used dryer softener sheets will keep your walnut media cleaner longer too. I've even used plain paper toweling torn into smaller pieces.

#8 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

"You can wash it in your tumbler David. Just enough water to cover the brass and use Tide or some other brand of laundry detergent. It doesn't foam as much as dish washing liquid. Then just pour them out and rinse them in a colander."

So you use liquid in the vibratory tumbles? I never thought of that.

To clean the lube off, I usually just lay on old towel on my work bench and lay a couple of paper towels on top. I then line up about 20 loaded cartridges on the paper towel and spray with alcohol. I use another paper towel on top and roll them back and forth until they are dry and free of lube.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

I have always used water in my vibratory tumblers. I used to clean my coins in them from metal detecting. I'm sure alcohol would work on the brass but a pillow case is the best way but I use a towel.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Vibratory tumblers also work great for rusted parts. I have rebuilt a few rifles so rusted they wouldn't cyclle by soaking parts in JB Blaster and a tumbler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users