Photo

Finally had a chance to try out my Lothar Walther Polygon rifled barrel on my .25 Marauder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Finally had a chance to test out my new Lothar Walter Polygon rifled barrel in my .25 cal Marauder yesterday that was machined by Jim Gaska aka Marmot Militia. I can tell you I'm super happy over the oem Green Mountain Barrel. Before my M-rod would corkscrew 1 out of 5 pellets that were shot. Now with the new LW Poly barrel, I didn't see any more corkscrewing the other day. I didn't do actually accuracy testing/shooting for groups, I just wanted to capture the pellets flight in 240 frames per second and zeroed my gun at 52 yards. JSB Kings were used in the testing, straight out the tin w/single shot tray and were shot at an average of 892 fps.

Since doing the scope cam, it has made me obsess about the accuracy of my guns. I want the best accuracy my guns could offer since I hunt primarily with my airguns.. I got a video that shows the before and after that Jim wanted me to show him but I thought I would share here instead for everyone to see.

Anyways, here is the video of the pellet flight analysis lol. The reason why I got the new barrel is that I want humane/quick one shot kills right where I want. I also got my first kill on a cotton-tail with my new barrel, shot was right where I wanted 59 yards away. I put it at the end of the video.

Henry

Click below to see the video:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Nice job

#3 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Very nice shot placement on the cottontail. Those quail have me itching to go out this weekend.

#4 Runngun

Runngun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi

Where can i hunt cotton tail legally ?
Live in RC. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Between July 1 - Jan 27, you can legally hunt them here

ca.jpg

You live next to TWO (SB and LA) national forests for God's sake!!! C'mon, really?!

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hi

Not to be rude, sound mean or disrespectful, but Bisley is right... you've made a total of 4 posts since joining basically asking where you can find a place to hunt cottontail rabbits. And you've done it by hijacking other people's posts instead of making your own thread/post in the correct manner.

Almost everyone of us has done the following:

1. Order some BLM maps for the areas you want to hunt (you can order them by calling the number you'll find on the BLM website).

2. Purchase National Forest maps for the areas you want to hunt (you can purchase them from a Ranger Station, local outdoors outfitter or order them online).

3. Once you receive the maps, find the areas you think you would like to visit (where it is legal to hunt) and do some reasearch on those areas to see if there are typically any of the game animals inhabiting the area that you plan to hunt.

4. Drive out there, walk around looking for scat, tracks or other sign. If there are rabbit droppings on the ground then there are rabbits in the area.

5. You'll will see rabbits out more often in the early morning or evening, but they are out all day. Drive around in the morning as the sun is coming up and if there are there, you'll see them.

6. If you don't find them in one area, check another area.

We see the same posts constantly. A person joins and immediately wants the members to tell them where to go hunt their game animal of choice. Believe me, I understand the difficulty when first starting out, because I went through the same senario only a couple of years ago. But it is best if you do the research yourself, read the regulations and check with your local forestry office or ranger office for areas you may find the quarry you are looking for. The information is out there if you put a little effort into it. Guys on here aren't going to just point you to a hunting spot (well, 99.999% won't) because they've worked hard doing their own research, put miles on their vehicles and boots, and spent many, many hours to find their special public hunting spots.

I personally have gone to many spots and found absolutely nothing (no sign, no tracks, no scat) and then gone to others and found signs of the animals I was wanting to hunt, but never saw the animals. Then I learned more about the particular animal/s and figured out the thought process/habits of the animal and eventually started finding them.

Yes it is more work, but as a general rule... hunting takes a bit of work anyway.   (Sorry RWS Fan, I just felt like your thread deserved better than to be hijacked)

#7 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi

Go to Bass Pro or Turners Outdoorsman since you live in Rancho and get this map: 

002-2.jpg

I would get it at Turners since it's $4+tax and $10+tax at Bass Pro...

Henry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users