#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Since the wifey took ownership of my 6.5-47, I found my self with only the 308 for a non magnum rifle for our upcoming 600 yards shoot on the 15th of this month. In a way it's a good thing since I rarely shoot this rifle that much. I will also revisit my old load for this competition using the 168 grain Nosler Competition and 43.5 grain of BLC-2 at around 2650 ft/sec. I was using this load the other day shooting clay with my wife at 600 yards and I was able to hold my own. I think on a calm day, I will do good with this rifle.

Posted Image

Ten shot group @ 110 yards with 168 grain Nosler Competition, 43.5 grain BLC-2, Federal Gold Medal brass, 210 Match Primer

Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

I'm trying to load a target round for my 300Win Mag., started with a 155 grain berger which so far isn't working to good, your group would fit inside of the one I shot Sat.

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

GSH, 155 is too light for the 300 Win mag. Try a 165 or 180.

I load the 300 Winchester Magnum quite a bit. It's one of my favorite big game cartridge. My recipe consist of 180 grain Hornady Interlock BTSP, 81 grain H-1000, Federal Gold Medal Brass and Federal 215Match Primer.

I just rebarreled my Model 70 Winchester Laredo LRH with Pac-Nor Polygon Supermatch with 1-10 twist. I'm currently working on a load using 165 grain Nosler Accubond and IMR 4350 with excellent result.

Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#4 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Have you used any berger bullets in the 300? These 155 are berger. I've shot 165 grain Speer Grand slam and my rifle didn't seem to shoot it very well, before the lead ban I used nosler 180 partition and without working up any type of custom load (2 grains less than posted max, 70 grains of IMR 4350) I got a quarter size group at 100 and as strange as it may sound it also shot 125 grain serrias in the same spot. I am using this load for punching paper but the way it shoots I have to have a large piece to shoot at. I guess I'll order some 180's and try them.

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Nice rifle! The old 308 has been around a long time and is a very good caliber in my books for hunting or competition. It has won a bunch of them.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#6 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

A real good looking rifle for sure and the dog too. Looks like the old 308 or you have not lost that touch. Good job! Is the wife going to strat challenging you in the competitions?

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

GSH, I have not tried Berger on my 300 but I shoot with friend who use the 210 grain VLD on his with excellent result. You seem to prefer lighter bullet. Are you using this for varmint shooting?

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

A real good looking rifle for sure and the dog too. Looks like the old 308 or you have not lost that touch. Good job! Is the wife going to strat challenging you in the competitions?

Thanks Rusty.

Yeah, My wife wants to get into competition with me. We will have one this month and she will be using my 6.5-47 Lapua. It will be a night shoot at 600 yards. I'm currently gathering component together to build her her own rifle. Until then, she will be using my 6.5.

#9 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm trying to load a target round for my 300Win Mag., started with a 155 grain berger which so far isn't working to good, your group would fit inside of the one I shot Sat.

Try Berger 210gr VLD's or Hornady 208gr A-max's. Take advantage of the magnum and shoot longer bullets. Better results the farther out you get.
Hic Ego Statio

#10 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Desert Fox, I was trying a load for target shooting, for hunting I use a 180 Nosler E-tip. I'll try the heavier bullet as soon I can get some ordered in.
DirtyDave, I've shot a real nice group with this rifle using 125 grain Serria, but was trying a better BC target bullet. Live and learn

#11 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

DirtyDave, I've shot a real nice group with this rifle using 125 grain Serria, but was trying a better BC target bullet. Live and learn

The light bullets out of a Magnum are going to shoot like a laser out to about 500ish yards, super flat and get there quick, but fall off fast after that.
Heavier bullets will shoot flatter over a longer distance and really buck the wind. More weight = more momentum. The farther you shoot, the heavier you will want to go. The MV will be less, but downrange they will keep their speed longer than a lighter bullet.
Hic Ego Statio

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Have you tried Barnes TSX or the TTSX. I use the 180 grain TSX on my 300 Weatherby to take this Texas whitetail last year.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

When hunting and before lead ban used Nosler 180 partition, the first bullets that I loaded for the rifle shot such a good group I didn't bother to work up loads using other bullets. I really like the partition, have gotten good results. Trying to load a target load and trying some competition shooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users